Friday, August 25, 2006

Random Friday

So I thought I was going into labor last night. It was not fun. I was in a lot of pain all over my body, having some really painful contractions, and feeling quite naseous. I was so scared because we aren't at all ready to have this baby yet. I told Ches I wanted a Priesthood Blessing, and he got a hold of a member of the bishopric. I was really comforted from the blessing, and I'm feeling a lot better. The Relief Society president called later and gave me a list of names to call either during the day, in the middle of the night, or whenever (she specified which) in case I DO go into labor. She had called around and got women who all live near me. Everyone is so helpful!! It made me feel a lot better, emotionally. I still think this baby is coming extra early, but I'd like him to wait a couple more weeks, if possible. Ches and I had just started to talk about what to do "if" the baby came early. We had no phone numbers for people to take the boys for us, no phone numbers for him to call in and get a sub at school... we don't even know what hospital we're going to yet! I have an appointment on Monday, and we'll see what the doctor (or rather, the nurse practioner) says then.

*****

I found Ovation here in the States!! Yay!! I've been craving those yummy dark chocolate covered mint sticks since I was pregnant with Dallin and it was Christmas time. Everytime we go to Calgary for Christmas, Ovation is one of our staples that buy right away. They taste so good, and make great logs and decorations in the family gingerbread house building competition (do you guys still do that? It's been a while since we've been up. Sorry).

Anyrate, we saw them with all the candy/chocolates in Wal-Mart, so of course I picked up a box. They taste like Christmas. It made me happy.

*****

So, Tom Cruise has been dumped by Paramount because of his crazy off-screen antics. I'm not a huge fan of Mr. Cruise anymore (I think he has gone a bit off the rocker!!), but that is just of him personally. I still love his acting. I love most of the movies he is in. Just because he's completely nuts isn't going to stop me from seeing Tom Cruise movies. Why exactly do people care???

It's kind of like the Mel Gibson thing, to me. I mean, people think he's gone a bit nuts himself, and this latest episode of drunk driving and anti-Semetic slurs certainly haven't helped the public views of him as a person, but he is still a great actor and movie-maker. Are people honestly going to suddenly stop seeing Mel Gibson movies because of stuff he said when he was completely smashed, and of which he has publicly apologized for on a number of occasions AND has gone into rehab? I won't stop seeing Mel Gibson movies.

There are stars our there who have done crazier things. Or more offensive things. No one seems to care. Major awards have been given to a man who alledgedly raped a girl, then he ran away to another country so he wouldn't have to face prosecution. He is still in "exhile", but he still makes movies, people love to see his movies, actors love to act in his movies, and he is given awards. Spike Lee is quite controversial, yet that doesn't stop people from going to his movies. He has made many racial remarks in anger, yet people just seem to blow it off (I personally think because he isn't white. White people make racist commentes, but people of color "never" do. Just a generalization here, folks. Don't jump down my throat, okay?).

When it comes down to it, what do people really care about an actor's personal life? If you are going to see a movie, you really don't care. You just want to see a good movie. Also, why am I even discussing this, if people don't care? What do I care???? Obviously, for some morbid reason that I can't explain, I do care. But I'm still gonna see Tom Cruise and Mel Gibson movies.

*****

When you are reading a book, do you actually read the dedications and acknowledgements? I do. It's so often just a list of names that mean nothing to me, the casual reader, but every now and then you get to read a really interesting line. I think my favorite is one that Maeve Binchey (author of "Circle of Friends", "Tara Road", and so, so many others) wrote about her husband in "Nights of Rain and Stars":

"For dear good Gordon, who has been such a supportive and kind person that nobody would believe it if I were to write him into a book! Thank you with all of my heart."

Now, if you are a big Maeve Binchey fan (like I am... I've read everything she has written... most of them several times!), you'll understand this comment. If not, well, I love this author, so I just want to encourage you to read some of her books and then you'll get it. I recommend all of her more recent novels ("Scarlet Feather", "Quentins", "Tara Road") as well as a couple of my favorite older ones ("Light a Penny Candle", "The "Copper Birch", "Circle of Friends"). Oh, and don't judge "Circle of Friends" by the movie. I like the movie (hello!! Chris O'Donnell! I love him!! Oh yeah, and Minnie Driver's pretty awesome, too), but the book is so, so much better. Has a different and much better ending, too.

*****

I think I'm going to spend Saturday morning pulling weeds out of our front yard. The front yard is all rocks and desert plants, but because of all the rain we have all these green patches of weeds. I hate that stigma that goes along with renters. You know it, right? You can tell who renters are by the state of their yard. Renters just don't care for their yards as much as homeowners do. Well, we may not own this house, but I still take pride in where and how I live. So I'm going to make it look like we own the place. So there.

*****

Aiden is at preschool and Dallin is taking a nap. I should be taking a nap. But my bed is covered in clean clothes that I should fold. I think I'll just go lie down on the couch and rest for a while. That would be good.

*****

Now I'm stretching to come up with good stuff to write. Am I turning into Karen??? Heck that wouldn't be such a bad thing, huh?

*****

Quote of the day:
I learned there are troubles
Of more than one kind.
Some come from ahead
and some come from behind.

But I've bought a big bat.
I'm all ready, you see.
Now my troubles are going
To have troubles with me!
--Dr. Suess (from "I Had Trouble in Getting to Solla Sollew")

6 comments:

Laural said...

Don't you love the church?! It's so nice to know that there are people around that want to help and care about you, even though they don't know you.

As far as the celeb thing goes, I agree and disagree. I mean, when you want to see a movie, you want to see a movie. However, I think it is kindof nice that at least some of these "stars" aren't being repeatedly rewarded for their bad and stupid behavior. Wouldn't it be nice if it applied to all of them?!

I love chocolate!

I've been wanting to read some of Maeve Binchey's books. Now that I have your good recommendations too, I will look into it a bit more.

Good luck with everything!

ABQ Mom said...

I'm so glad that the ward has been there to help you out when you needed it. It always creates a pain in my chest when I hear that a friend is in need and I can't do anything about it. But it always calms that ache to hear that they have good support from the church.

I guess as far as the celebrity thing goes it depends on the actor. I WOULD go see Mel Gibson movies, but I could care less about see Tom Cruise movies. Yes I have liked his movies in the past but his latest performances off screen have really turned me off.

I haven't read a Binchey book I don't think I've seen a movie base on a book either but I do love reading a good acknowledgment or dedication, it makes you appreciate the author a bit more.

I hope that everything continues to go well and just keep telling that kid to be patient. ;-)

Philosophical Karen said...

Well, we like the same author anyway! I too have read everything Maeve Binchy has written. (I don't think I've reread any of them, though.) I like the latest books where she uses some of the same characters, but sometimes they are a big part of the story, and sometimes they are just on the sidelines. Anyway, that was a surprise, seeing someone else (and a nice surprise with it being you) likes Maeve Binchy too.

With Tom Cruise, I imagine the relationship with Paramount was already breaking down for other reasons. Sure he's become a joke, but I think a lot of people feel the way you do, that it wouldn't stop them from seeing the movies. Those movie companies are smart enough to know that. There must be something else going on behind the scenes.

Alyson said...

I haven't stopped seeing Tom Cruise Movies or Mel Gibson for that matter but because of there antics (i think) I don't go right away. In fact I am originally turned off by it (mostly talking about Tom Cruise here) It isn't until I see more of the story or reviews that I consider seeing them but by then they are rentals. I'm cheap. I only save my movie passes for "Must See" Movies.

Proud Mum said...

Wow, what an extensive RF!

I'll start with Cruise (you know I'm an expert because I live here...) You already know from your posts last summer how I feel about his personal life, and whatever the "official" reason for Paramount dumping him the real reason is money. Cruise's deal, which had just expired and was not renewed (it wasn't like they broke their contract with him) was costing the movie company so much money with each movie that even though he was bringing in the bucks at the box office, he was taking it all home with him and the studio was breaking even. It isn't personal, this business is all about money. And I'm all about money, too, I only ever see movies in the comfort of my own home.

(yikes, now I really sound like I care about this stuff!)

I'm so glad your ward is taking care of you. Talk to you baby about coming too early. I know it sounds crazy, but I believe that to an extent that can help. When I was 36 weeks along and Little Red went sideways (that's right!) we each took turns talking to him about how much safer and more comfortable he would be if he moved. When I woke up the next morning his head was back down and that's where he stayed.

and may I add: I love Canadian chocolate!

Allrie said...

Interestingly, I saw Jackie Mason on Fox news comenting on Mel Gibson. (For you young people, Jackie Mason is an old time comic who also happens to be a Jewish Rabbi.) He basically said that alcohol is not a truth serum. The truth is in how people act in their everyday lives and that Mel Gibson has always acted honorably toward Jews and everyone else. He went into more detail that I've forgotten, but he talked about some of the action Mel Gibson has taken to help Jewish communities--quite impressive. We should all be so terrible! I think the reason it played up so big in the news is because of the drinking and the abuse towards the police. I am glad he's gone to rehab--such talent as he has shouldn't be ruined by the bottle. And, unfortunately, he is apparantly a mean drunk. I had an uncle like that who actually moved away from us so as not to let us kids see him like that in his latter years. I never understood why he just didn'y quit drinking altogether. It still saddens me when I tink how he spent his last years, alone and lonely, with only his booze for comfort. A terrible waste to what had been a very good life.

This is one reason i am so grateful for the church and its "rules" which are in place to protect us. I am also grateful that we can go anywhere and have an immidiate "family' to take care of us in times of need. Hang in there, Sariah. And literally hang in the, Rupert Xerxes! He can't come yet--you haven't decided on a name!

I keep meaning to try a maeve Binchey book, but keep forgetting when I go to the library. Maybe next time...