Thursday, October 05, 2006

I've Said It Before...

And I'll say it again...

I have the best husband ever. Seriously.

I had to change Parker's diaper at 2 am, and that is when I discovered that we were out of diapers. I searched the house high and low (and without waking up another person!!) for a pack of diapers I could have sworn I had, but apparantly did not. I finally went to the diaper bag to steal one from there... and there was only one left. I changed Parker, hoping against hope that he could make it until morning and I could run to the store and get more diapers.

About 4 am, in the middle of feeding Parker, I heard that horrible sound coming form his bum, smelled that horrible smell, and knew I had to find another diaper. You know when your child has outgrown one size of diapers and you move them up to the next size, but forget to use up the one or two diapers buried in the bottom of the diaper bag? Well, I found a stack of diapers of various sizes, but there were no Newborn sizes. I found two Size 2 diapers, and one that wasn't labeled, but looked a little smaller than the 2s, so I thought perhaps this is a Size 1, and since that's just up from the Newborn size, I'll try it.

After I changed Parker into his way too big but clean and odor free diaper, I found my Post-it notes, wrote a message to Ches, and left it on the bathroom mirror for him to see when he got up an hour later. It read, "We are totally out of diapers for Parker. Please wake me up so I can run to the store for some more (after your shower, that is)."

A little after 6 am I awoke to the sound of the door to the carport opening. A minute later, there was Ches, handing me a pack of diapers, and saying, "I'll see you after school."

He wouldn't wake me to get the diapers because he knew I had been up several times during the night. Instead of waking me, he hurried through his shower and went to the store. He didn't get to spend time eating breakfast and making a lunch and getting ready for his school day because he wanted to let me sleep. While at the store, Ches bought some Pop Tarts so he could eat in the car on the way to school.

I love my husband. He lets me sleep.

4 comments:

Philosophical Karen said...

Yup, he's a keeper.

In all seriousness, it's the little (big) things that count the most. That kind of consideration means so much.

Lura said...

Yeah, I think you did well in finding a great guy to marry. (I think I did too, so I guess copying you in stuff a lot isn't ALL bad.) :)

April_Mommy said...

There is a story from conference about a man who saved his lunch money for a year to make his wife's life easier. I totally could see any one of our husbands doing that...

yay for considerate men!

Proud Mum said...

I'm glad you wrote this story down. I think it's this kind of stuff that we need preserved for posterity (or for our personal "off" days.)