Friday, September 01, 2006

Random Friday

Welcome, September. One of my favorite months. The nerd that I am, I loved the whole back-to-school season. Remember when we were kids and schools everywhere (not just in Canada and back East) started right after Labor Day? Anyway... September to me means Friday night football games, cooler, crisper air, the smell of sharpened pencils (like what they talk about in "You've Got Mail". I love that part. I felt it.), new beginnings (because of new classes and new teachers and new friends), and apples. September brings Fall. I love the fall. I love the leaves changing color. To really appreciate the many colors of fall, you have to have been to New England in the fall. I don't think any place else does fall nearly as well. I love wearing a sweater and jeans and not being too cold or too hot. This September will be so different from past Septembers. No Friday night football games. No big change in weather. No changing leaf colors. And school has already been in for almost a month. I'm trying not to let that get me down. This will just be a different kind of fall. I have to get used to it, that's all.

*****

How was that for a random paragraph??? ;)

*****

We had a pretty fun evening for Mr. Universe's birthday yesterday. He got home from school really, really early. He had looked some restaurants up online, and found a new one to try out. It is called Elephant Bar Restaurant. It was so fun! It's got kind of a safari-ish atomosphere, but it's not cheesey in any way. The food was pretty good, and our server was really nice. I ate the Miso Yaki Pork Loin Steaks. It came with yummy vegetables, mashed potatos (so light and fluffy! Mmmmm!) and spiced, baked apples. I was very pleased. Ches had some kind of combination plate. It had chicken (which he said was very good), ribs (which he said were okay. He expected more flavor), and shrimp (which he actually won't eat, so they substituted it with another chicken). I can't remember what sides he had, but he seemed pretty happy with it. They have a really good kids menu, and the boys both loved the restaurant , too.

After dinner, we took Ches to a nearby mall to get some new sunglasses. Many years ago, Ches and I paid a lot of money for each of us to have a pair of Oakleys. I purchased a pair of light blue Minutes, and Ches purchased a pair of silver framed, blue lensed XXs. We both love our Oakleys very much. While living in Preston, Ches' sunglasses were stolen from our car, and we figured we'd never see them again, so we bought him a brand new pair of the eact same sunglasses. After a few months, the kid (thief) was caught, he confessed, and many of the items he had stolen from around the neighborhood were returned. Ches now had two pairs of the exact same sunglasses. I can't remember what happened after that, but I do remember the last pair got lost just over a year ago (thanks to Aiden, but we won't blame him too much!). Ches has gone without any sunglasses since then.

We looked at some good stuff, including the tried and true Oakley XXs that Ches loves, but because of finances, he refused to pay that much. We ended up at a kisok in the mall that sells knock offs. He found a pair of "Nike" sunglasses that he really liked, and then because of the great offers (1 pair for 10.99, 2 for 15.99, 3 for 20.99), Ches insisted I get a pair of glasses, too. I was jokingly trying on some of the really stylish glasses that I just don't think of as me. However, I ended up with some pink, Dolce and Gabana knock-offs that make me feel like I should be some rich kid living in L.A. Or I'm Jennifer Lopez.

*****

Aiden and I went grovery shopping the other night, and he found the coolest rock ever in the cart (left by another child with similar interests, I'm sure). He brought the rock home and proudly showed it off to his dad.

After Aiden had been put in bed (about 30 times), he came to the living room and said the rock was sad. The rock wants to go home.

"Aiden, I don't know where the rock's home is!" I replied.

"But Mo-om! The rock needs his family." Aiden was quite concerned about the welfare of this rock.

"The rock is part of our family, now. He came home with you to be in our family." I thought that I had given a pretty good answer. We had adopted a rock before, so why not now? Apparantly Aiden saw it differently this time.

"Mom, rocks are not in our family. Rocks are in rock families. We only have people in our family. We are people! Not rocks!" All of this was said with that "Well, duh!!" tone of voice.

Excuse me. I didn't realize. Our family only has people, not rocks. I should have known better.

*****

25 official days left of my prengnacy. I'm taking bets on what day the baby will actually be born. Any takers??

*****

Quote of the day:
Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love, and to work, and to play and to look up at the stars.
--Henry van Dyke (1852-1933)

8 comments:

Laural said...

Happy Birthday Mr. Universe!! Sounds like a fun place. I love to eat out! Wishing I could do it tonight!

The rock family is very cute! I too have a rock collecting family, at least the kids, and to be frank, I'm quite tired of having rocks EVERYWHERE! I blame it on my mom!

My bet on labor day (your's, not the country's) is Sept. 14th. Hope I win!!

Alyson said...

Maybe he could make a rock family for his new rock and then he won't be lonely anymore.

My guess is September 12th. what do I win if i'm right?

themadhatter said...

I pick the 21st. There is something special about that day. Do I get to choose my prize?

Philosophical Karen said...

Mmm, sounds like your Universal birthday dinner was really good. Do you have pictures of you guys in your new sunglasses?

Allrie said...

No fair! I wanted the 21st--because it is the day I arrive, and that would just frost the complication cake, true? But if not the 21st, I choose the 20th because it is such a "lonely" date in our family [Sariah's younger bro's b'day and the oldest of her bro's wedding anniversary]. So I guess the night/morning of the 20th/21st.

I could bring Aiden a rock game...or Erica's old rock collection...or help him with his own...what do you think? We wouldn't want his new rock to be lonely for long :)

Lura said...

I love Fall, too. It's my favorite season, and I miss having a really good one. That's one of those things that I don't like about living where I do, the Fall just isn't the same. I love the smell of Fall the most--you know, the crisp air, the dry leaves, baked apples, that kind of thing.

I'm betting on the 22nd. He'll wait just long enough for Mom to get there so you have someone to stay at home with the other boys while Ches takes you to the hospital.

ABQ Mom said...

I love Fall. But October has always been my favorite. I've discovered that if I start getting excited about Fall in September then I'm let down because it's still too warm and the trees aren't turning colors yet. So for me Fall doesn't start till October. ;-)

Sounds like you had a fun night out for Mr. Universe's birthday. I haven't heard of that restaurant. I'm curious as to where it is. How fun to have new sunglasses, I always stick with the $5.99 Pink frameless one's at target. They're my FAV-O-RITE!

I'm guessing September 15th. I don't know why, don't have a reason, just the very middle of the month, sounds like a good date. :-)

Help Aiden find some rocks in the backyard that could be his rock's new family. I'm sure he could build a nice home out there for them if given the opportunity. :-)

Proud Mum said...

I'm putting in my bid for the 9th. It's not because I wish an early baby on you, but because I know four people (my husband, my brother, and two babies) whose birthdays are September 9th. There's something about the cosmos that day.