Friday, September 15, 2006

Tilfeldig Fredag

Parker is one week old today. What a week, huh?? Seems like it's been crazy for the whole world, not just me. That's good, because I don't really need to have all the attention. Just most of it.

*****

Parker means "keeper of the forest". I guess like park ranger or something. What's cool about that name is that one of the things Mr. Universe used to think he wanted to be when he grew up was a forest ranger. He's an outdoors-y kind of guy... He loves mountains and trees and camping and stuff. Too bad we don't get to do a whole lot of it. Anyrate, so while we just kind of came up with the name Parker Benjamin, it has meaning because even though Mr. Universe didn't become a forest ranger himself, now we have one of our own.

*****

Funny things my kid (and some others we know, too) have said lately:

"Mom, the law says I can't be in Time Out anymore."
--Aiden

When asked what day his birthday is: "It's on Friday. No, Saturday." No, Aiden, what is the date? September what? "The, uh, 39th."
--Aiden

During prayers: "Thank you, God, for the Aladdin soundtrack, the Lion King sountrack, the Pirates soundtrack, and uh, for meaning in life and then die."
--Kaely, age 3

Talking about another galaxy (not ours, nor the Star Wars galaxy... for once): "Can we go to the other galaxy?" No, it's too far away and we don't have a space ship to fly there. "Well, my dad can help me build one."
--Aiden

*****

I was just thinking today that Nike ought to change their slogan. We are all familiar with their "Just do it" campaign. It's been highly successful since it was first introduced (don't ask me when! Forever ago!). However, we are always seeing these health reports about obesity and that Americans just lead such sedentary lifestyles, so here is what Nike ought to change it's slogan to: "Just do something!" Think they'll go for it and pay me a ginormous amount of money for my idea? Yeah, me neither.

*****

Ches and I were watching the weather forecast last night and chuckling as they repeatedly stated we were going to have a cooler weekend. They said it would be cool and breezy. The high temperature?? 93 (F)!!! Maybe if the temperature stays closer to the projected low (71)...

*****

My mommy will be here tomorrow! Yay! I'm going to get so much sleep next week as she plays with her older two grandsons.

*****

Birthday season in our family has arrived. Tomorrow is my nephew Jago's first birthday. Next week starts the really big push... Tim, Richard, Allen, Aiden, Emily, and Mom all have birthdays. I think that's all. And, of course, throw in Vince and Tanya's wedding anniversary... I sure hope everyone doesn't expect gifts from us.

*****

I'm online chatting with ABQ, Proud Mum, and Laural (who I have decided that instead of typing her name, I will consistantly call her Lo. I have her permission. I think it's cute) right now, and we are discussing Halloween costumes for our kids, our husbands, and for us. Yes, it's still over a month away, but it's time to think about it folks! Especially if you're one of those great Mollys that can sew and do it for your family every year.

So I'm wondering... what are you going to be for Halloween?

*****

Quote of the day:
The grass may be greener on the other side of the fence, but you still have to mow it.
--Annonymous

10 comments:

Proud Mum said...

Kids are so cute. Moms coming post-baby are such lifesavers.

And you know I can't answer what we'll be for Hallowe'en until someone tells me what we're going to be for Hallowe'en! ;-)

Philosophical Karen said...

Dads are so helpful in the building of spaceships, aren't they?

Did Ches get his forest ranger inspiration from the Red Green show? (Has he ever watched the Red Green show?)

I love the name Parker because at a very impressionable age I was in love with Parker Stevenson who played one of the Hardy Boys. (Shaun Cassidy played the other one, but I forget who was Frank and who was Joe.)

Sariah said...

Heh. The Red Green Show. We love that one. We actually hadn't seen it in a while, but saw it the other night. Good stuff. Love the Canadian accents. ;)

Allrie said...

I love the quotations! that's most definitely one of the things I miss without little ones around. [Although Rich comes up with some good ones occasionally!]

Chatting with my bishop today [who is very unserious much of the time:] "I don't like going into town because I always run into someone who knows me. And they think I remember them...It'Hey, Dennis, how retirement?' I say fine, and how are you doing. As if I care...
A more caring bishop, I've never had! [yes, he WAS joking]

See you tommorrow Sariah, and Ches, and Aiden, and Dallin, and Parker!

Lura said...

Only one birthday you forgot--Richard's (remember, same day as Vinnie and Tanya's anniversary).

For Halloween Jago is going to be Robin Hood. Jesse will be Little John. (I think the contrast in size is perfect.)

Lura said...

oops, just kidding, you did have Richard. Guess I just need to learn to read.

FeatherSky said...

Wow! That's a lot of birthdays! Our birthday month is May.

Jaedin is going to be a dragon for Halloween. It's the costume he was supposed to wear last year, but he was afraid of it back then! I'm not sure what Jenacy is going to be!

I love the name Parker!

April_Mommy said...

I will be dressing up as a wizard(I have the costume and have worn it for the past 4 years...), SH will be his typical Pirate, L decided that she will be Bigbird again this year, and M announced that she wants to be Superman. We are talking to M about that, I think we will make her supergirl and have the outfit be pink ;-) I think the boys at school would make fun of her too much for being true superman... so we are working on it.

Laural said...

I'm so glad that you're mom is there now! Just so you don't have to think about everything all the time. I am REALLY looking forward to having a baby and my mom only being 2 miles away. HOORAY!

We've discussed the Halloween thing...

I love the quote! Good thing J mowes the lawn right now!

ABQ Mom said...

I've waited so long to leave a comment. I don't have a good excuse so I'll just say I'm sorry.

I bet you're already looking at Parker and thinking to yourself "he's gotten so big!" Time goes by so fast.

Kids are cute. Those were some great quotes.

If you're looking for cooler weather you need to come visit here. We've had some cool mornings, I'm about ready to put away the shorts and pull out the long-sleeves shirts.

Nike should totally change their slogan!

I really like the name Parker, there was a boy in the nursery when we lived in Phoenix with that name and a little girl in my ward here, but it's hard for me to think of Parker as a girl's name.

Our families birthday's are pretty spread out, I think I like it that way. ;-)

I'm still not sure about our costumes for Halloween. It's still a month and half away and already costumes are on sale EVERYWHERE!