Friday, September 22, 2006

Willekeurige vrijdag

I had my two-week post-partum checkup yesterday. Everything looks good. I especially liked getting weighed, actually. While my weight is much higher than I would like it to be, it is looking good and I know it won't be too bad to work off. Heck, I just had a baby! I'm feeling great!!

*****

My mom has been here in town for the past week, visiting and helping. It has been pretty great. Normally I get sick of people after a week, so my mom arranged to go to my sister's in California. After I get rid of whoever was here helping me, I wish I had kept them here, so Mom will stay in CA for a week, then return here to my house for a little more than a week.It's all going to work out really well.

Like I said, I have enjoyed having my mom here. It's nice to talk and stuff. She, of course, is loving her time with three of her grandsons. I think Aiden is enjoying it the most. He hangs on Grandma's every word. They play "light saber pillow battle", Candy Land, Chutes and Ladders, Blue's Clue's Memory, and whatever else they can find in the game cupboard. She has taken him on walksand played in the backyard. She tells him stories and reads to him and he listens to every little bit of it. Grandma is completely worn out and will need a rest when she goes home!!

*****

I am rereading "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" (the sixth Harry Potter book) again. I have only read it once, and I want to look for more clues of what is going on and what will happen, not only at the end of this book, but perhaps some foreshadowing for Book 7. It is going rather slowly because I read a couple of pages, then the baby needs to be fed, or Dallin wants to watch Blue's Clues, or the phone rings and I have to talk to more strangers about health care... you get the picture. I am enjoying the read, however, and remembering bits and pieces here and there.

*****

Speaking of Harry Potter... Happy 19th Birthday to Tom Felton!! (Tom is the actor who plays Draco Malfoy in the Harry Potter movies).

*****

I have a guitar, and while I did take a class my freshman year at Ricks, I didn't really learn anything. I can play "Down In the Valley", and that's about it. However, I would like to really learn to play my guitar (you know, the cool classical one that Ches got me for Christmas last year??), and there are a few songs that I think should be on my own, personal, required repertoire list. This songs include:
Blackbird by Paul McCartney
Blowin' in the Wind by Joan Baez
I'm Sensitive by Jewel
Blister in the Sun by the Violent Femmes


Okay, actually that's about all I have on my required list right now. "Blackbird" because I have always loved that tune, and "Blowin' in the Wind" because whenever I pulled out my guitar to practice while at Ricks, my roommate (Jessica) would start singing very loudly, "The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind. The answer is blowin' in the wind!" and would request that I play it for her. "I'm Sensitive" is also just beautiful, and I once heard a girl perform it during Guitars Unplugged while at Ricks and thought it was awesome. Oh, and "Blister in the Sun" just because that is THE road trip song, and I figure if we go camping and take our guitars along for singing around the fire, road trip songs are just as good as campfire songs, if not better.

Any suggestions for my required repertoire list?

*****

So Mr. Universe just brought in the mail for today. Apparantly AT&T over-charged our account (from when we were in Reno), so the sent us a refund check. For 13 cents.

What a waste. A waste of paper, of postage, of time. Just a waste.
*****

We were watching Survivor last night, and I have one question. A girl on the tribe of African-Americans said (when talking about if they have to lose another member of their tribe), "We're already at a disadvantage because we're all African-American."

What the heck did she mean? Because they are a minority group and African-American? I don't get it. There are two other tribes that are comprised of minority groups (one Hispanic or Latino, the other Asian-Americans), and you don't here them complaining of being at a disadvantage! I hope I'm blowing this out of proportion, but I seriously don't get the statement she made. Anyone willing to enlighten me (without being nasty to me or anyone else or any ethnic groups in general!!)??

*****

Speaking of Survivor... were you just as shocked at the declaration of "love at first sight" by Billy abnout Candace as we were? I loved Jeff Probst's expression. That was a classic face right there. I wish I had seen the cast-off Billy on CBS this morning because I'm sure they have asked him about it. I wonder what Candace thinks? When did she find out about this supposed love?? Oh, the drama... even the drama that probably isn't there at all.

*****

No offense to the rest of you moms and dads out there, but I swear that Mr, Universe and I make the cutest babies in the universe. Not just my Universe, either. The entire universe!!! Don't ttry to argue. You all have wonderfully cute children, but as this is MY Universe that you are visiting, I'm allowed to make such blanket statements without being accused of bias. So there.

*****

If I could have a million dollars (tax free, of course), what would I do with it? Of course first I'd be all responsible and pay off all our debts, buy a house, and put quite a bit in savings for us and each of the kids. But what irresponsible or just plain fun things would I do??? I don't know... get a tummy tuck and lazer surgery to get rid of all the nasty stretch marks; go on a year-long vacation around Europe; buy season tickets of the best seats for both the Chicago Cubs and tge Calgary Flames as well as plane tickets for all the games.

What irresponsible and/or just plain fun things would you do with a million (tax free) dollars??

*****

Quote of the day:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery; The Little Prince

7 comments:

Philosophical Karen said...

Congratulations on rereading HBP. Let me know if you find any good clues.

I'm not sure what I'd do with a million dollars after all the responsible things. Probably a lot of travelling. Also, I might hire a personal chef. But you know, a million dollars isn't really that much any more, what with the price of housing and everything...

Alyson said...

I think Nevil will play a very important part. Wouldn't it be funny if Voldemort gets whiped out by Nevil when he thought it was Harry the whole time?

"We're already at a disadvantage because we're all African-American."

Disadvantage? How? Do they have the wrestler/ rockstar or roller durby girl? They have more brains and seeing as each team starts out with the same amount of people no one group on the island can claim minority status. She is going to have to explain herself. I wouldn't be surprised if the producers edited it to cause this.

As for the million I would actually do some traveling and surgery. My boobs get bigger every year even if I don't gain any weight. I blame gravity. (I know Too much information.)

April_Mommy said...

Hmmmm a million dollars eh? I would put it all into investments that would pay back way more than a million. That way Sultry Husband could quit his day job and stay home as a writer! His dream job and thus my dream job... its going to happen someday it really is.

FeatherSky said...

I missed Survivor! I went to a b-day party for one of Jenacy's friends. I saw the first episode and had to laugh at how the caucasion group was the only group to say something to the effect of "so what that everyone is split by race? Skin color doesn't really matter." It seems to me like people who want to feel like victims often feel like victims regardless of what is said or done.

One Million dollars? I'd put it into a high interest account, or into something else so that it could build more money. From the money that my million made, I'd give it to young college families who are too poor to buy food. We'd do it in some sneaky way so that they wouldn't know where the money came from. I know, that's not irresponsible. But if I had extra money, thats really what I'd do.

terrierchica said...

Aww, sariah, if you had a million dollars, would you still eat kraft dinner?

Sariah said...

Erica -- Of course I would! I'd just eat MORE of it. And eat all the fancy dijon ketchups and prewrapped sausages. You know, they have prewrapped sausages, but not prewrapped bacon. Well, can you blame them?:)

I guess I should have mentioned that I would by a green dress (but not a real green dress... that's cruel).

Laural said...

Love Harry Potter!

Survivor: I hate it when people say things like that. "We want everyone else to treat us like we're all equal, but we're going to continue to tell you that we are disadvantaged!" I don't understand it and I sure hope that she didn't mean for it to come out the way that it did! I kindof liked her. As far as Billy goes...holy cow! We too loved Jeff's face. We rewinded it just to see his face again! I think Billy has a few screws loose.

Million Dollars: do all the responsible stuff, start our grocery store, invest almost all the rest, and then buy a boat and a motor home, because J has always said that's what he wants!