Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Becoming a Girlie-Girl

I've never really considered myself a girlie-girl before, and I've considered myself a tom boy. I'm just Sariah and kind of try to do my own thing while still being stylish (although I'm not sure the stylish thing ever occured). I now have two little boys and one big boy (also known as a husband), and so I am fairly out-numberedby the males in this household. I'm finding myself wanting more and more girlie things.

For example, I got some new pajama bottoms recently. They are super cute: capri, drawstring waist, and lots of stripes. Oh yeah, they are pink. PINK!!! I never used to like pink. I think it draws too much pink out in my skin and makes me look a little sunburned at all times. But I saw these pajama bottoms and thought they were perfect. I could have bought the same pants in blue, green, or purple. I chose pink. I love them!! Hmmmm.

I want purple walls. With flowers. I am not a flowery person. I prefer plaids or stripes if you are going to have patterns. But now I am finding the urge to paint my bedroom purple. Not that it is going to happen... We are still renters. However, I have informed my husband that when we buy a house I get to have one room all to myself and I will paint the walls purple and will have all sorts of girl stuff in there. Fluffy pillows and flowery curtains. I'll probably have pink in there, too!

I guess I am just reacting to all the sports and insects and cars and Star Wars that is in our house. I hope to have a little girl someday to dress up in pink and ruffles and braid her hair with cute bows on the end. She will grow up hating pink and I will sigh and remember how cute she was when she was all about ballerinas and butterflies. Then I will turn to my sons with their hockey sticks, Matchbox cars, and violent video games and realize that boys never change from the age of 2 to the age of 32.

I think I will go paint my toenails, then play swords with my son now.

1 comment:

Jen said...

After I had Jocelyn I no longer puked at the sight of pink and now I actually go out, buy a pink shirt, bring it home and put it on. Not only that but I'll even wear it in public. I think having kids really changes us. Pulls us outside of our boundaries.

Congratulations on seeing the softer side of yourself.