Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Marching Band

For many people, the start of school and the crisp air of fall can only mean one thing: football!! The all-American sport. High school football is especially huge in smaller towns. College football for that crazy 19 year old in all of us. The NFL for, well, men who just can't seem to get enough football, really.

Then there are people like me. I am a band nerd. No kidding. I started playing the flute the summer before 4th grade (when I was 9), and haven't quit (it's been 19 years now). In high school, I joined the color guard (flag team, really. We didn't have the budget for the other parts of color guard). In college I majored in music and got my degree in music ed (which means I'm a band teacher). I also continued with color guard and was even the instructor/choreographer one year. While in college I married a trumpet player (who is also a band teacher now). After I got out of school, I started to teach private music lessons, help my husband out at his school, and continue to choreograph and teach color guards.

For me, the complete band nerd, it is not "football season." It is Marching Band Season. That's right, we have our own season. We don't just sit in the stands on Friday nights and cheer for the football team. Oh, no. There is so much more! We start rehearsal before school starts. All day. Every day. Depending on the school, it could be anywhere from a week to 3 weeks before school starts. Then we practice either before or after school several days a week, as well as during the regular class time. We attend all home football games, play fun music, and cheer.

And then we get the Half Time. The half time show is very important to band nerds. This is what we have been practicing for. The performance! However, I hate to break it to all you football fans, but the half time performance is really just another rehearsal to us. We don't really care if you like our show or "get" our show. We are practicing for competition. Competitions (or festivals) typically take place on Saturdays, starting in September at some point, and every Saturday in October. there is nothing in the world like performing for an audience at a competition. They all know the marching band world, so it's more thrilling than playing for a bunch of people who would rather stand in a long line for a hot dog and get back in time to see their home team lose another game.

The crisp, cool air of fall means the sound of drum cadences. Back to school shopping means buying dance pants and electrical tape. Walking around with your friends means unconsiously walking in-step with a good roll-step.

Marching season has started for me. I get to work with two area high schools this year, and rehearsals for one school started this past Monday. The other school starts this coming Monday. My husband is working at the first high school, also, and then he starts rehearsal at the university (where he is getting his Master's degree right now) on Sunday. We take our kids to rehearsal with us (who wants to babysit for free that much? No one! And these are low-paying jobs, so we can't afford to pay a sitter or day care), and they love it. Aiden was born in the middle of marching season, so he has been coming since he was just 3 weeks old. Dallin attended mini-camps last spring when he was 3 weeks old. Our kids have no chance in the world to be anything other than band nerds, too.

I love band! I don't get football at all, but I'm okay with that. Band rocks! This fall, when you go to a football game, don't leave during half time. Watch the band. They have been working really hard, even if it's not really for you. I know that we appreciate all the applause we get!

3 comments:

terrierchica said...

You know, not all of our inner 19 year olds cheer on our college football teams.
BU's football team is undefeated since 1997.
Yeah, that's the year they quit the program. Devoted more money to hockey, y'know.

They still have marching band though. I always hated marching band, but it looks cool.

Jen said...

I love the sound of marching bands doing upbeat music! Nothing better!

Philosophical Karen said...

I never was into music much, but I sure do love marching bands in a parade. (Okay, my favourites are the pipe bands, but any band with glockenspiels comes a close second.) I was dumped by my first boyfriend at a tender age. He was from a different high school and didn't know how uncool I was. He had a great smile, and he was in the Rebels Drum and Bugle Corps. He was a "player" in many senses, though, and it didn't last. He looked like Zach Galligan from the movie Gremlins (which I saw with my second boyfriend). I suppose it's worth noting at this time that I have only had three boyfriends in my entire life. I married the third and never looked back.