Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Home Sweet Home

Well, we made it to San Diego and back again! I can't believe I survived the trip. I actually drove for 12 hours with my two children and not my husband! That is a big accomplishment.

The roads were fine, the weather was fine, traffic was fine. Then we hit L.A. Can I just tell you that I hate L.A.???? It took me over two hours to get through the place. That is ridiculous! Once we got to San Diego I just sat down in my sister's living room and refused to think aboutthe fact that I was going to have to drive home.

So, here's what we did on our trip: We went to the Zoo, Sea World, the beach, and visited with my aunt and uncle in San Diego and went to Hemet one evening to visit my other uncle and his family. It was a lot of fun to take Aiden to all these new places (he is still talking about the gorillas and elephants at the Zoo and Shamu at Sea World), but for me the most fun part was getting to visit my little sister.

My sister is awesome. She and I are very close in age and have pretty much had to hang out our entire lives. We have almost always shared a room, and we were even roommates for one semester in college (right before I got married). She is so smart and talented and one of the kindest people I know. She has been married a little over a year now, and is expecting her first baby in September. It was so fun to see my little sister preparing to be a mommy! I loved shopping with her and looking at baby stuff and getting to impart all my "wisdom" to her (most of which I know she will ignore, but that is what big sisters do... they boss around little sisters and then the little sisters ignore most of what the big sister says).

Both Aiden and Dallin loved her, too. We weren't in the car for more than an hour on the way home when I hear this sad voice from the backseat proclaim "I miss Aunt Lura." That started my flood of tears from leaving my sister all over again.

It's good to be home, though. Kudos to Ches for having the entire house clean for me! He really is an amazing husband. He was gone the entire week, too, but as he left after us and got home before us, he wanted to get all the cleaning and laundry done that he could. That made everything so nice and my own travel clean up is that much easier.

As much fun as we had in San Diego, I really missed Ches. It's good to spend time apart from your spouse, just not too much time. A week was just a little more than what I wanted, I think. The homecoming is always sweet, though. I especially loved it Sunday when we were just all sitting in the living room, reading books or looking at pictures and talking, relaxing all the while. I love my family. I love my family being whole again.

No comments: