Friday, March 03, 2006

Guess What Today Is!!

It's Random Friday! Wo-hooo! (Everyone do your best Random Friday dance now. Go on. I need to see some feeling in that dance. Karen, you can do better than that. Wow! Everyone get a load of Julia! Go girl!)

1. I am currently reading "The Professor's Daughter" by Emily Raboteau. Aiden actually picked it out at the library and said, "Here Mom. Read this book." I thought it looked okay. I like it so far. It's the story of a girl who's father is black, mother is white, and brother is a vegetable. More swearing in it so far than I like, but it's an interesting read.

2. Tomorrow is the Sierra Silk Competition, a competition for winter guards and winter drumlines. It's the only competition that my kids are going to, and there are three other middle schools competing. The kids are scared, but also excited. I can't wait to see how it all turns out! Most of all, I want them to have fun and to be proud of what they do.

3. We bought "Lady and the Tramp" (Special Edition DVD) at Wal-Mart on Tuesday. It was only $14.87. Trust me, they don't keep the prices this low for new DVDs for long. If you haven't picked up your copy, I say do it now. They'll probably up the price to the normal $20 or whatever really soon.

4. Dallin is a funny boy. All morning all he has done is laugh. I'm not kidding. He laughs at everything! Even after he fell down and was crying, he looked at Aiden and started to laugh. Such a happy child. We are so blessed with the little boogers, I mean the kids, that we have.

5. Happy birthday, Mozart! This year commemorates Mozart's 250th birthday (he was born on January 27th, 1756), so while we missed his birthday over a month ago, let's do a shout out for Mozart anyway. Here is a quote by the composer himself (just imagine your favorite Mozart piece playing in the background, and if you don't have a favorite, then think of "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" because everyone knows that one!):
It was just as I expected; no money, only a gold watch. I now have five watches, and am seriously thinking of having an additional watch pocket sewn on each leg of my trousers, so that when I visit some great lord, it will not occur to him to present me with another.
--in a letter in 1777, as quoted in "The Music Quotation Book; A Literary Fanfare", edited by Joyce and Maurice Lindsay

6. We got the package from you yesterday, Plastic Obsession! WOOT! Aiden and Ches enjoyed eating Ketchup chips as we watched Survivor, and I devoured the mint Aero bar right away. With Aiden's help, of course. And I love all the maple leafs on the box. It made me laugh. Aiden saw the box and said, "What is that box from Canada????" He knows.

7. Ahhh, heck. One more Mozart quote (just because I like it):
I write as a sow piddles.
--from "The Music Quotation Book; A Literary Fanfare"
8. Have a great Random Friday everyone!

13 comments:

Thérèse said...

I LOVE Lady and the Tramp. Lurrrve.

Sariah said...

We just picked up Lady and the Tramp also! But I paid $18.99 at Costco - however I ALSO got The Ugly Dachsund with it, which is a Cool, Cute, OLD movie that I loved when I was a kid. So... I'm happy.

Ooh, and we got Bambi II. But I'm saving all of these for Easter so I can't tell you yet if Bambi II is really any good.

Laural said...

Wow Sariah, you put me to shame. I can't remember hardly anything about any of the composers we studied in school, let along quote them. You are quite the woman, which I have always known!

I got Lady and the Tramp a while ago as part of a Chinese pack of 25 Disney movies. I got it on ebay for $50 and got 25 movies like L & T and Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Bambi, Peter Pan, all the old good ones. They aren't digitally remastered or anything and you have to turn off the chinese subtitles, but so far my kids like them and they have worked as gifts for Christmas, b-days, Valentines, and I still have probably 15 left! I am so proud of myself!!

Sariah said...

T-Rez -- Yup, it's a favorite of mine, too. How can you NOT love a bunch of cartoon dogs falling in love or singing "Home Sweet Home"? So classic.

Vancouver S-Dawg --sounds like a good deal! At Wal-Mart they also had the special edition DVD with a CD of "dog" songs by Disney characters that was going for 19.99. It was a little tempting, but I decided not to spend that much money. I'm still glad.

Lo -- I didn't *remember* those quotes! I've got a book! There's no putting you to shame. I don't remember a thing sometimes! If you want to be put to shame, take our music lit. CD, put it on shuffle, then ask Ches to name the piece and composer and genre. He can still get most of them. I hate him.

fourth_fret said...

ah, you brat. (you can't possibly know what i'm talking about but... i mean it.)

i had a discussion about "piddle" today, and you just blew my argument completely out of the water. [/frown]

when you say the brother is a vegetable... do you mean, like... broccoli? or... like, no brain waves?

p.s. you gonna be around this weekend?

Philosophical Karen said...

Hmmm. I am wondering if that sow was wasting time, or doing something else. I'll go with the something else, even though that's only the second meaning in the dictionary.

"Lady and the Tramp" is not one of my favourites. My favourites would be "Jungle Book" and "The Aristocats". Oh, and the original "Winnie the Pooh", before they messed with it. And I guess I liked "Beauty and the Beast", too. Again, all the originals. No sequels. I am picky that way.

Sariah said...

CC -- You actually had a conversation about "piddle"? And you don't have kids? Wow. That's a new one. Please tell me how I'm a brat. Gotta know. I know others have the same opinion, but still. Oh, and while broccoli would be good (although I think I prefer a carrot), it's definitely brain waves. Nope, probably won't be around this weekend. I've got competition all day Saturday, church on Sunday, and Ches is on the computer with his family Sunday night.

Karen (can't come up with anything cool for you... yet. I'll get there. Heh.) -- We have The Aristocats. SUCH a good one. I also love The Jungle Book. A couple of weeks ago we watched The Sword in the Stone. And on Monday Playhouse Disney will be showing Robin Hood ("Oh, he's sooo handsome!"). I love the classics so much. And I'm totally in agreement with you on sequals... I hate em. Why even mess with something good? Disney is SO overdoing it.

Dancing J -- Your dance rocks! Good on ya. Is that the new "Pride and Prejudice" with Kiera Knightly, or the cheesey LDS one? Both of which I want to see, but mainly the Kiera Knightly one. I love Jane Austin. Yes, I am such the cliche' of girly.

Allrie said...

Who do you think you are? the lady on Romper Room? (Laurel, ask anyone of my generation there in Chcago--they'll know.) She would look into her magic mirror and say hello--by name! to all these children she could see. She saw Billy and Mary and Bobby and Susie, but she never saw Valerie! YOU couldn't see me dance because I've actually been working hard all day, but Richard puts on a pretty good show every Friday!

It was fun to talk "with" Dallin today--it always is. I love his cute sounds.

Hope all goes well at the competition--let us all know how it goes.

ABQ Mom said...

I hope Lady and the Tramp is still at the $14.99 rate when I go to the grocery store next. I went on Monday and couldn't convince myself to go back on tuesday just to get the movie. I've thought about getting all of those movies at once on Ebay like Laural did, but I felt like it was cheating or something.
I'm not big on the sequals for Disney movies either. Good luck at the competition this weekend.

fourth_fret said...

actually, after further review, i withdraw my brat quip AND that you proved my argument wrong.

karen, i think the sow very well might have been seen piddling. as in... wasting time. as that's what sows do, you know. piddle. in the mud. AHA!

and it is the first definition in the dictionary so... i think we can all agree. heh.

and sariah- i wasn't discussing it in the form of children or pets. i was discussing it in the form of sunny days beneath the shade tree, sippin' lemonade and wasting time. which is the only piddle i know.

:D

Philosophical Karen said...

I have to admit, I've never seen a sow piddle (as in pee), but I'm guessing she doesn't waste time when she's doing it. I'm also guessing Mozart wouldn't be wasting his time writing.

But it's just a guess...

Kris said...

Sariah,

Glad you got it and loved it! Now if my DH hadn't done what he did with the shreddies then you'd have those too...they are on their way, promise. Hehe.

K.

fourth_fret said...

yes but... i suspect writing music came as naturally and often to mozart, as piddling did to a pig.

that's my guess...

:P nanner, nanner