Friday, March 17, 2006

Welcome Back, Random Friday

Welcome to the St. Patrick's Day version of Random Friday! I would put all of this in green, but well, it's already green. So... pretend I'm being extra festive.

1. BIG news (for a lot of you, anyway): We have recently had a big shock in our household as we found out we are expecting another baby. I'm talking very big shock here, people! Ches wouldn't talk to me for about 2 weeks, and when he actually did say something, it was just "It just doesn't seem very likely!" over and over again. Trust me folks... abstinance is really the only 100% way of NOT getting pregnant!! I am now a true testiment to that fact. So, anyway... we didn't have a clue as to any details until yesterday. I finally got into the doctor's office, had an ultrasound, and everything looks good so far. The due date is September 26th, which means I will have to take off in the middle of marching band season (whine whine) and if the baby comes on the due date (ha!) then we will come home from the hospital on Aiden's birthday (the 29th). I'm 12 weeks along... I'm DONE with the first trimester! WOOT! That's the good news! Now if the morning sickness would just go away...

2. I once pulled a random number out of my head when Aiden asked for some gum. I said, "Not until you're 4". Well, he has always remembered that, and yesterday we talked about him becoming such a big boy. He started to do a little celebration by dancing on the couch and shouting, "I'm turning 4! I'm turning 4!" For the rest of the day he just talked about his "gummy birthday". I'm trying to get him to understand that September is a long way off, but he's just not getting it. When his birthday does come, save yourself some money. Send him a pack of gum. He really doesn't want anything else.

3. Sad news: We had a shooting at a middle school here in town a few days ago. It has been a little scary, but I guess we kind of have to expect it nowadays. Ever since Columbine I have been worried as I think of my husband, a teacher, being at a school with moody, depressed teenagers who might one day decide enough is enough and they open fire on the school. That is what basically happened here. An 8th grader had apparantly been planning this for a week ahead of time and studied what happened at Columbine. He opened fire in the cafeteria before school even started. Luckily only two kids were injured and no one was killed. A teacher convinced the kid to drop the gun and then she embraced him. Of the injured kids, one went to the hospital with a gunshot wound in his shoulder, but was released that night, and the other was treated at the scene with minor injuries from some shrapnel. Both kids are fine (physically, anyway). I'm just sad about this. I don't know what else to say.

4. The CDBNA conference is going on this week (I talked about it a little in my last post), and there are several groups from different colleges and universities here to perform. Today I am going to a concert by the BYU Wind Symphony and then the UNR Wind Ensemble. Tonight is a banquet, which I get to attend with Ches. FUN!

5. Oh, for those of you wondering... my winterguard did great. They got 3rd place (out of 4 middle schools... I've seen the tapes and we really should have gotten 2nd, but oh well). They had a LOT of fun, and the crowd really responded to their show. You really can't go wrong with a Michael Jackson song, and "Thriller" has to be one of the best". The kids are proud of what they did, and already talking about what we should do for next year. It was such a good experience for them!

6. A quote from Aiden today: "When we are llamas, we will eat grass."

7. If you are on Yahoo! IM and want to type in a four leaf clover today, type in %%- and it's really cute.

8. Erin go braugh!

9 comments:

Sariah said...

Wow! Congratulations! I hope that all progresses well.

I have to admit that awhile back I wondered if you could be... I don't know why, I guess just something you said about not feeling well or something. And I thought, That would be cool if both us "Sariah's" were pregnant at the same time!

I hope you start feeling better soon!

(I found out on Monday that I'm having another girl! I have ultra sound pics up on my blog... they were posted on Monday.)

ABQ Mom said...

(Just in case anyone thinks I'm bragging I'm not...)

I'm just going to respond to the things I didn't know about.

Telling Aiden that 4 is a good age to start chewing gum is great. The few times we've given "W" a piece of gum he chews it and then swallows it like candy. Maybe by the time he's 4 he'll understand he's not supposed to swallow it.

I loved Aiden's comment on when we're all Llama's. That's pretty cute.

I think that if I was teaching or my husband was teaching I would really be worried about Columbine type events to occur too. I still worry, and probably will more once my own kids are in school. It really is a scary time right now.

I'm jealous that you get to go to the BYU Wind Ensemble tonight. If Rix Stix is with them (like they were went then came on tour to ABQ) tell Dr. Taylor hello for me. (Anyone else that would know me for that matter ;-) )

%%- Happy St. Patricks Day.

Thérèse said...

Congratulations, Sariah!!!!

Wow, wow wow wow!

And Happy St Patrick's day! Woo! I'll raise a glass in celebration of your good news tonight!

Lura said...

I have the cutest nephews! Aiden cracks me up, I miss him.

Now that I look at Sariah in Vancouver's comment, I seem to recall someone saying something about "Maybe you're pregnant" a while ago, and you poo-pooed it. That's kinda funny. I think it's great there's going to be another little cousin in our family.

April_Mommy said...

Congrats Sariah! I am so happy for you guys! If only it would be that easy for me again (I was on the pill when I got pregnant with M...) Now that we are "trying" it has taken over a year and still nothing... I am so happy for you!!!

Allrie said...

:) :) :) :D is how I have felt since you first told me the news. I, too, already thought so for
some time.

Loved the llamas bit.

R has it all wrong, then--HE thinks 3 is the big birthday--out of Nursery to Primary for LDS kids, and for all kids--now old enough for the toys that say" for 3 + up"

Congrats to Sariah in Vancouver.

R had a funny comment last night. I had a colonoscopy yesterday, and according to R, I had some "pollins" out [polyps] He's 15! so that cracked me up. Guess A comes by his funny comments honestly--like his uncle, yes?

I'm glad you've made your announcement, Sariah, and are posting again.

Laural said...

You already know how excited I am for you!! I hope that the sickness goes away ASAP!

Aiden is such a cute little boy! I'm proud of you for waiting till 4 to chew gum. It seems as though Abi has been chewing for ages, and not swallowing. She claims it is her favorite food! Figures!

Kris said...

CONGRATS congrats congrats...that's awesome!

Kris

fourth_fret said...

wait a minute! so we all got reprimanded a while back for NOTHING! FOR NOTHING!

heh.

congrats, my friend.