Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Something Safe

Well, I didn't mean for the last post to be so, I don't know, controversial? I just wanted to let Erica know why I think it is important and not a waste for future SAHMs to get an education. That's all.

Today, I want to end that intense "discussion" and move onto a safe subject. Like... ummm... you know... Okay, so I don't actually have anything in mind. I just wanted to move on with my life and forget the whole last post. (I'm still so angry at Erica, which she knows, that I couldn't listen to Ches' concert very well last night. That made me sad).

Oooh! There we go! Ches had a concert last night. It was very long because I was very tired and really not in the mood to actually be out. HOWEVER, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Good music. The Wind Ensemble played all music by Roger Cichy, who will be here in a few weeks working with the Wind Ensemble as the premiere a piece by him (called "Pandemoneum") for the College Band Director's Association conference that is being held here in Reno.

Anyrate, the music was very programatic, and very good.The first piece the Wind Ensemble played "Fanfare" and was based on 4 notes (I believe C, D, G, and A, but I could be wrong and the program is still in the van) played in ascending order. It was good, but pretty much your typical fanfare piece.

Next on the program was "First Flights", a beautiful piece about the Wright brothers. I think they played 2 movements of that. Seriously good piece. I think it was my favorite. Next they played "Breakthrough", a piece written about the Berlin Wall coming down. It had elements of both East Germany's and West Germany's national anthems, as well as the "Joyful, joyful" part of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony ("Ode to Joy"). Wonderful piece. The last peice they played was four movements from a piece written about Galilean moons. I honestly can't remember the name of it (again, the program is out in the van, and I just don't feel like going out there right now). I only remember two movement names: Europa and Io. I really liked this piece, too, but it was the end of the concert and I was soooo tired. No worries. I'll get to hear it again when I see the Wind Ensemble play at the CDBNA conference! :)

5 comments:

Allrie said...

Sounds lovely. But what exactly does "programatic" mean? (My ignorance is showing. I really liked the description of "breakthrough" and also, of course, "First Flights" (After all, I not only am a pilot's daughter, but I live in Ohio--home of the Wright zbros!)I surely would love a CD of some of the music either or both of you have done in recent years. Parents hear all the early practise, but when their kids get really good--they are out of the home, so we never get to hear it anymore. I wnt thru band withdrawal after we left AR, and again after Erica left the Richmond Concert band--and that skunk Richard dropped band. I have to go to my SS school student's band concerts now--I'm getting desperate here! (After all, I teach the 12-13 yr old class!)

Lura said...

The concert does sound wonderful. I haven't been to a concert in so long, I miss it. I may not know much about music (I really am the freak in the family for not being able to play an instrument), but I certainly enjoy it.

Mom, I can't believe you just called Richard a skunk! And in writing too. Tsk, tsk, tsk. ;)

Laural said...

Wow, I can't remember the last time I actually got to go to a concert to listen instead of play, and even to play for a long time. Oh, wait, yes I can. Jody and I went to the BYU-I Sacred Music tour concert when they were in Logan last year. It was wonderful to see Bro. Call again and just to feel the absolute power of music. I miss it! I'm excited for you that you will always get to participate in whatever Ches is doing whether playing or conducting for the rest of forever. If would just moved out here by us, we could enjoy it too! :P However, that means that you have to live closer than Purdue!

ABQ Mom said...

Its really interesting to see what composers use for inspiration.

We're playing a piece in this upcoming concert called "The Legend of Bafe'" Really the whole piece is based on four chords. B, A, F, and E. But he wanted a cool title so he added the accent to give it a french flair. Its a pretty cool piece.

Since Ricks I had a lot of opportunity to GO to concerts but not play. When we lived in Phoenix we went to the Phx Symphony a lot. But since moving to Albuquerque I haven't been to a concert. Shane was playing but I had to stay home with our babies.

Now I'm playing in a group again, I'm curious whether Shane will come to my concert on Sunday...

Allrie said...

I haven't been to a concert in awhile, unless you count the Family History concert/fireside our Ward choir did last Nov. But I was in that.

I still am ignorant: what do you mean by "programatic"?

And Laurel, Purdue is close enought to you. as that would put them about halfway between us. I'll be that generous--won't you?:D