Friday, March 31, 2006

Random Friday

Why is it that my husband, who is normally quite a neat freak and can't stand that I'm not a very good housekeeper, will shave in the morning and leave water and little hairs ALL OVER the sink and counter in the bathroom? I mean, how hard is it to wipe that off with a towel or something? I shouldn't complain (I leave my long, brown hair all over the house. I shed. Sorry.), but I'm just continually flabbergasted by this one concept. Now that I have put it out for all to read in cyberspace, I shall never mention it again.

*****

Tomorrow is April Fool's Day. Do you do anything special? Any good jokes in the past? Any traditional jokes? I can't really think of anything that I have done or have had done that is that memorable. Ches told me that growing up their dad would dye the milk to match the color of the cap. I like that.

*****

When I was young (elementary school age), my mom was single and we lived in this little 2 bedroom house. My brother and sister and I had to share a room. Vinnie and I had bunkbeds (he quite often got the top. Lucky.), and Mom made a pull-out bed for Lura. It was stored under the bunkbed and pulled out at night. Vinnie and I liked to be a good older brother and sister to Lura, so we would make her lie down in her bed and we would practice falling out of our beds on top of her "just in case" it ever happened during the night. That way she would know what to expect. Vinnie and I would climb up to the top bunk (we never practiced from the bottom, because that didn't seem like such a risk of falling out, I guess), and then we'd launch ourselves off, landing right on top of our youngest sister. Were we not the BEST older siblings in the world?? We sure cared for Lura!

*****

I have a younger brother, Charles, who turned 19 a month ago. A few weeks ago he received his mission call for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He's going to Tahiti!!!! We are all very excited for him. He leaves for the MTC (Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah) in June. I think we need to start stocking up now on sunscreen for the kid. He is very fair-skinned with tons of red hair and freckles. He'll fit right in with the natives, don't'cha think? Hee hee hee.

*****

We have apparantly been adopted by a duck. Not just any duck, mind you. A Dallin duck. Dallin has, out of the blue, started quacking! He just makes this quacking noise all the time, and it is the cutest thing EVER. Okay, maybe not EVER, but pretty darn close! I'm now trying to teach him that whenever I ask, "What does a duck say?" that he should quack. It's not working, but sometimes, when he's eating crackers, he'll quack. So maybe he's trying to say cracker. But then again, he quacks at the TV, the stack of CDs that are now so nicely rearranged into a mess on the floor, at the Megablocks, or at any member of his family. Hmmmm.

*****

Quote of the day:
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. --John Lennon

7 comments:

April_Mommy said...

I'm first! I'm first! Yay for me I'm first!

As for April Fools day jokes... I have a lot of them. Here is one of my classics that I manage to pull off every year... If you have a sprayer on the kitchen sink, put some clear tape over the button to keep it down then place it back where it goes... ask your hubby to get you a glass of water and then WHAM! He is wet :-)

Wait till the same hubby is in the shower... sneak in with a COLD glass of water and pour it over the top of the shower curtain... now there is a wake up call hehe

Put food coloring in all food you make that day... Did you know that you can actually make green eggs and ham? Put the ham in a plastic baggie tonight with some green food coloring... tomorrow it looks absolutely gastly. Pink milk works, salt in glasses of water, milk, or any other drink type substance... I could go on and on and on. With the name of April, I had to be the best at April Fools day jokes ever... that or everyone would go around saying "April's a fool" instead...

Sariah said...

My sister's birthday is tomorrow - so she has always been called an April Fool. Poor girl, lol.

The only good one that I remember was 7 years ago when I was expecting our first. I knew he was expecting me to tell him we were having twins or something. So I didn't. I just told him that the car we were borrowing because both of ours were broken down, had just broken down. He fell for it! lol

We've done the kitchen sprayer - that is fun, lol.

I like the John Lennon quote alot. (It makes me feel better for wasting so much time, lol.)

Allrie said...

I'll try again...J & K Heart here in "Star's Hollow" OH has eggs: real , fresh eggs...mundane. but also gummi fried eggs that lok totally real. They also have deviled eggs (chocolate) I think we'll have eggs tomorrow. Should be interesting.

I'm so glad you were such wonderful older siblings to Lura, what would she have done without you?

Proud Mum said...

This was a fun read, but -of course- my favourite was the John Lennon coupon. :) Rock on!

Laural said...

I wore my pants backwards as an April's Fools joke one time when I was in elementary school. The joke ended up being on me, for as the end of the day came, my pants had split up the crotch and I was totally embarrassed! Thus, since then, I've tried to avoid April Fool's jokes! :)

Also, I love the earth poem from a couple of entries ago. I know, I'm behind as usual!

Lura said...

Yup, you guys were great older siblings. Any wonder I don't feel bad about you two getting in trouble when I decided to climb the tree all the time? Being youngest is hard. Luckily, Erica came along, so I had someone to pick on.

Mom told me Vinnie was due on April Fool's Day. Seems fitting to me, too bad he came early.

fourth_fret said...

one time for april fools we put green food coloring in a big bottle of pepsi, then walked out into the garage and drank it straight from the bottle.

when our lips turned green, mom panicked and thought we were drinking antifreeze (apparently, discarded pepsi bottles were the appointed old antifreeze disposal bottles)...

there was panic and a visit to the hospital where stomachs were threatened with being pumped until someone confessed. :( heh.