Tuesday, October 11, 2005

100 Things

I thought, why the heck not? Everyone else is doing it. It's been fun to read. I'm just a big copycat anyway. Here goes:

1. I was born on Christmas Eve.
2. I'm the oldest child. That means everything that the "studies" say it does.
3. I have a trophy for playing soccer when I was younger. We got 2nd place (we only lost one game all season, including playoffs).
4. I once took tennis lessons.
5. I was on the volleyball team in middle school.
6. I don't consider myself athletic at all. I quit sports by the time I was in high school.
7. When I went to college, I had a Southern accent. It went away.
8. I met my husband in college at a band party where I was rude to him. He doesn't remember meeting me, thankfully.
9. I had a dream about him a week later and that was how I got interested in him.
10. I got married at 21.
11. I thought I was way too young to get married, but I wanted to marry Ches.
12. Ches wasn't going to wait for me, so I knew if I wanted to marry him, it would have to be then.
13. My plans at the time was to go on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
14. I know that I made the right decision, but sometimes I'm still sad.
15. I feel left out when I with a group of women who are returned missionaries and I don't have any experiences to share.
16. Ches promised me that when we are older we will go on a mission together.
17. I have been in marching band in some form or another for about 13 years now.
18. I have been playing my flute for almost 20 years.
19. I always wanted to play the trumpet, until I took Brass Techniques in college and found out I'm a lot better at the trombone.
20. I also love to play percussion. Not drumset, though.
21. I have also always wanted to play guitar.
22. I took a guitar class at Ricks, but hated it.
23. I can only play about one song on the guitar.
24. I would like to learn "Blackbird" by Paul McCartney.
25. We have 9 musical instruments in our house: 2 flutes, 2 trumpets, a piccolo, violin, guitar, cornet, and a clarinet.
26. We also have a set of drumsticks and mallets, but that is debatable on whether or not it's musical.
27. I want the new Bissell "Spot Bot" that I've seen on TV. Now I know I'm a "desperate housewife".
28. Ches and I got married in the Mr. Timpanogos Temple in American Fork, Utah.
29. It was the most perfect weather that day.
30. We didn't have very many people show up to the wedding.
31. The best was a groups of friends from Ricks that came together (Dana, Camille, you were there!).
32. There were these beautiful tulips all over and I thought it made the day even more perfect.
33. Ches forgot to bring the wedding ring, so he made me give him back the engagement ring to give to me in the Temple.
34. He gave me my wedding band outside just before pictures.
35. For our 7th anniversary, I gave birth to our second son, Dallin.
36. I had a really bad cold, as did Ches and Aiden.
37. My cold miraculously went away right after the birth.
38. I've never been to band camp (save the American Pie jokes).
39. I'm scared of the dark.
40. I'm even more scared of what's in the dark.
41. When I was little, my father told me there were spiders and snakes on my bedroom floor to keep me in bed at night.
42. To this day I have to jump from the lightswitch to my bed once I have turned out the light so the spiders and snakes won't get me.
43. I just found out a few years ago that he told me this.
44. I hate the song "Mother I love you" from Primary.
45. When I was little, my brother, sister, and I were supposed to be sleeping, but weren't so Mom came down to spank us, but by the time she spanked Lura and me, Vinnie started singing "mother I love you" and she left the room laughing without giving him a spanking.
46. My brother and sister are my absolute best friends in the whole world.
47. Vinnie used to cover for me in high school when I was late for curfew.
48. One time he didn't realize it was me and I was trying to climb through the window and get his attention at the same time.
49. He thought someone was trying to break in, so he woke up my parents, who promptly called the police.
50. Once my parents saw it was me, my mom hung up on the police and I knew there was a very slim chance that I would live to see the sun rise the next day.
51. My favorite thing to eat in the entire world is dark chocolate. Can't get enough of it.
52. I have a huge chocolate craving right now.
53. Someday I would like to live in London, England.
54. Or Windsor.
55. My aunt took me to London when I was 20 years old.
56. We went to "see castles and plays".
57. While in Windsor, we walked over the bridge to Eaton and made fools out of ourselves.
58. I was wondering why all these school boys from Eaton College were wearing tuxes with tails, so we stopped a kid and said, "Excuse me, but we're stupid American tourists. Why are you wearing a tux?" to which he replied "They are my school uniform."
59. I was quite surprised and said "You wear that everyday?? I wear jeans and a t-shirt".
60. I easily say stupid things to people.
61. Once I was in a restaurant and my husband recognized the guy at the next table as a former contestant on "Blind Date", so we talked to him.
62. Before anyone could say anything, I blurted out with, "I totally saw you on TV!!"
63. My sister wouldn't let me talk to some of her wedding guests because they were Tony award winners and didn't want me to look stupid.
64. I have a book signed by John Lithgow, which is now one of my favorite possessions.
65. I often wish I had taken dance more when I was younger and had majored in that in college.
66. For our 10th anniversary I want a big party with a big band so we can dance.
67. We didn't have a dance at our wedding. Ches didn't want it.
68. Also for our 10th anniversary, I want to go on a cruise.
69. I've never been on a cruise, but both my brother and sister got to gon on one for their honeymoons.
70. We went to San Francisco on our honeymoon.
71. We walked all the way from Pier 1 to Pier 49 one day. (Don't do that).
72. I hope to have a daughter some day.
73. I hope it won't be too soon, though.
74. I hate pregnancy.
75. Both of my boys were born by c-section, and I don't really enjoy that, either.
76. I get panic attacks.
78. It started sometime in college, when I was really turning into a perfectionist.
79. I wish I looked like Nicole Kidman, just not as tall.
80. I like the height that I am, except when my family makes fun of me for being the short one.
81. I'm only 5'4", so I'm not actually short.
82. I love marching band, but I can't wait for November to get here.
83. When people yell at me, it makes me cry very easily.
84. When I get upset, I also cry very easily.
85. I'm only on 85 and I have to leave for rehearsal in 10 minutes.
86. I don't think that pregnant women should ever have to clean a bathroom.
87. Cleaning the bathroom is my least favorite chore.
88. My biggest goal for the future is to buy a house.
89. My mom and dad just bought their first house, and Mom is 53.
90. I know that wasn't about me, but it was indirectly.
91. I'm going to be 29 in 2 months.
92. My mom recently said that she has been a mom for 30 years, and I got offended. I'm not even 29 yet, Mom!!!
93. I often get mistaken for a high schooler.
94. I want to dye my hair some outrageous color (like plumb purple), but feel that since I'm a mother and stuff that I should be more mature, so I can't.
95. I love celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving as well as American Thanksgiving because I love turkey sandwiches.
96. My favorite LDS Temple on the inside is Cardston, Alberta.
97. My favorite LDS Temple on the outside is San Diego, California.
98. I used to wish my name were Holly (even though that would be too cheesey).
99. Sariah means Princess of God in Hebrew.
100. I have grown to love my name a lot.

16 comments:

Alyson said...

I'm thinking about doing this but I don't have the time to do it all at once. How long did it take you to do this?

My engagement ring is my wedding ring. we ran out of money.

looks like your dad was into scarenting.

Philosophical Karen said...

Alyson, I did one and I worked on it a bit at a time. I just saved it in a Word file (does nice automatic numbered lists for you, too).

I don't know how long it took me overall, though. Maybe three sessions, half an hour to an hour each time?

But then I'm always changing things when I write, so it depends. If you're happy with the first draft, it'd go a lot quicker for you.

ABQ Mom said...

Sariah learned lots of new things about you through this post. Some I already knew! How cool is that? A few things I'd like to talk to you about on the side... Anyway... Very enjoyable to read!

fourth_fret said...

Don't give up on the guitar. I can't read music, play the violin, or even hammer out a rhythm on pots and pans with a wooden spoon, but i LOVE my guitar. And oddly enough, I can play it. Plus, you can like... pretend you're a rockstar when the boys are a little older and embarrass them in front of their friends. See, I'm always thinking about the little people. ;)

April_Mommy said...

Sariah, this was by far the most enjoyable 100 things list I have read! Thanks for sharing it all!

Sariah said...

Al-- I think it took me about half an hour to 45 minutes. I just started typing anything and everything that came to mind (except the things I still don't want my mom to know. Hee hee).

ABQ -- Email me. I believe you have my address, right? Talk away.

Angel -- Go for it. I stole this from some others.

terrierchica said...

I might do one of those...

Dude, you said "brother and sister" as if you only have ONE brother, and ONE sister. Now, if you want to go into all the technicalities of half-siblings, fine (though I don't think you ever said "step-dad"), but seriously, is it that rare you think of richard and me?
*sighs* I'm so unloved! :P
Thanks for the help with the random bible facts the other night. I finished my paper shortly thereafter. I think it turned out pretty good.

Philosophical Karen said...

Hi Sariah, I just realized I never really commented on your post; I only said something to Alyson.

What I wanted to say was:

"No American Pie band camp jokes? Seriously? That's harsh! (Can I continue to just think them in my head?)"

Okay, I was only kidding. That's not it.

At first I thought the "Spot Bot" was one of those robotic vacuum cleaners, so I was going to say I wanted one too, but I want a Roomba. I don't know what it is, but these days I just hate household chores with a passion.

FeatherSky said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
FeatherSky said...

11,13,14,15,16,21,29,30,38,
39,40,41,42,44,52,60,68,74,
83,84,86,94,100
are all the same as me, and about as many are pretty darn close (you'd just have to change a few details and it would be me!)

Seriously Sariah, I think we are twins that were freakishly separated at birth living parallel lives on opposite sides of the U.S.! :)

FeatherSky said...

(Ok, except for that whole being born 4 1/2 years apart...)

Sariah said...

Erica -- I think about you and Richard all the time! I'm just closer to Vince and Lura, you know that. For one thing, we are really close in age. But I still think that the 2 of you rock. I just wish I knew you guys better, but since I moved out when you were so little... well, it kinda complicates things, don't you think? And I wasn't refering to Dad when I said "my father". My other first father did that before he and Mom divorced.

FeatherSky -- I'm about to go back to your list and figure out what numbers from yours are just like mine. Isn't this freaky?

Karen -- I emailed you. I too hate chores, but I want the spot bot because I'm so sick of stains on the carpet (potty-training accidents, baby puke, hot chocolate [from me], etc.).

ABQ Mom said...

I saw a commercial for the Spot Bot for the first time last night. I'm totally with you Sariah, I want that too. I'm ready for new carpet its so bad! You're right, I need to email you.

FeatherSky said...

We've got the Bissell Little Green. It looks a lot like the Spot Bot, but you have to do the cleaning yourself (like moving it around instead of just setting it on the stain). I LOVE it!! I think it's handier than the Spot Bot because I can clean the whole carpet with it instead of just circles (its small like the Spot Bot, but you can move it around). We weren't going to buy it originally because it was pricier than we thought it would be, but it’s been worth its weight in gold. Its gotten stains out that I thought would be permanent. The Little Green can also clean stains left on the couch or fabric on chairs.

OK, my sales pitch is over now ;)

Philosophical Karen said...

I can't believe it. Another Sariah!

(Hmmm...I am jealous of your Roomba.)

FeatherSky said...

Another bonus with a name like Timber is that I never get confused with all the other Timbers :)