Thursday, October 20, 2005

Counting Down

There is only a week and a half left of marching band. I mean to the last competition (because dang it all, the one football team has to go and be a good team and make it to playoffs). I'm sooooo happy to be so close to done. I will get some sanity back. I will get some sleep. I will get to play with my sons. I will get to save money on gas. I will get my life back. No more of the drama that comes with being around a group of high school girls! No more having to find a sitter for every single stinkin' Saturday. No more having to take a breast pump with me and hiding under a blanket so I don't leak milk all over a school bus.

Can we all tell that I'm a little happy?

At our last competition, my HHS girls had such a bad performance, I had to stop watching. I'd look up again, just to groan and look away. It was horrible. I couldn't talk to the girls for about half an hour afterwards, and they were smart enough to know not to approach me. Hopefully we will not have those problems again. It sucked.

My RHS girls actually did pretty well. I met up with them at the competition (HHS performed earlier in the day, so I rode the bus with them), and was surprised at how happy the girls were to see me. It made me feel special. I guess they have finally accepted me. Anyrate, they had one of their better performances, but there were still a lot of little, stupide mistakes. They are also performing at the same competition as HHS next week, so I will be able to help out both guards.

Aiden wants me to type his name. He's very excited right now. Once marching band is done, we will go back to our "homeschool preschool" that I have started. We are learning to write letters, what letters sound like, we read books together, and do crafts. He really wants to make some bats for Halloween. We have already made Jack-O-Lanterns and ghosts to hang on the wall. We're actually looking a bit festive this year.

Aiden is going to be Woody (from Toy Story) for Halloween. Dallin is going to be a frog. Aiden couldn't be happier. He tells everyone in sight what he gets to be. Thank you so much, Camille! We can't wait for the costumes to get here.

Taking an informal poll... what should I be for Halloween? I really like to dress up, but I'm just plain out of ideas. I hate to dress up as the same thing more than one year in a row. The last few years I have been the following: Hermione Granger, Homestar Runner, a hockey player (complete with black eye that everyone at church thought was real, so Ches started telling people "yeah, I hit her."), a princess, a chef, a scarecrow, and a U of I colorguard member (okay, so the church party was the same night as a game and Ches and I just wore our band uniforms). Oh, and I'm not really into the whole "Mean Girls" thing of using Halloween as an excuse to dress up like a slut. So unoriginal!

3 comments:

Philosophical Karen said...

Darn! You've already been Hermione. Well, I'm fresh out of ideas...Wait! Prof. McGonagall? Madam Hooch? Prof. Trelawny? (Can't you just see yourself in big googly glasses?)

Okay, so I'm harping on the HP theme today. [singsong voice] November 18 is less than a month away! I'm so excited!

Ahem. Hopefully others will have better ideas for you, Sariah.

Proud Mum said...

We just got an invite for "A Very Geriatric Halloween", a party held by some friends. Before that I didn't know what to be, either. But I KNOW I have pink foam curlers somewhere in the house and there's a dress in my closet that has been passed to me by someone to whom it had been given who also didn't know what to do with it. It's fuscia and purple and has no shape to it. Now if only I have a pair of nylons that are stretched out and have holes in them ... what am I saying? That's probably the only kind I own!!!

When I was student teaching I covered myself in cotton batting and held a water mister (like the kind you use for wetting down your hair.) I was a rain cloud and squirted my students when they diverted their attention away from the lesson. It was surprisingly effective.

When you do decide, let us know! I always need new ideas.

FeatherSky said...

I heard a rumor that you'd make a really good gothic :)