Monday, October 24, 2005

A Funny Thing Happened...

I was driving home from rehearsal the other day when I heard the DJ on the radio give information on a new home development. What he said was this:

You should really head down to [Suchandsuch] Drive and check out these [Majorcompanyname] Homes. They are built well and quite affordable in this market. Most are about 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, and that should be a really good size for most people, unless you're one of those huge Mormon families and you just won't fit in that. So, here's the directions: [DJ gives directions]. Seriously, if you are in the market, check out these homes. They're great. Oh, and I have nothing against Mormons. I love Mormons! In fact, I lived in Salt Lake City for about five years, so I really do like Mormons. They just tend to have really big families and need bigger houses than most people. That's all I was saying.

Wow. Someone is afraid of angry emails/phonecalls to the radio station! I laughed for 10 minutes.

7 comments:

Proud Mum said...

That's really funny! Out here even the Mormon families are small so that wouldn't even fly, and where I grew up the joke would have been the Irish family...

I know I have lived in Mormondom before, but those kinds of comments just always seem so strange to me. And I'm from a very large family.

ABQ Mom said...

That is pretty funny. The funniest part is that he knew his listeners would know what he was talking about. "Those large Mormon Families".
But I also found it quite funny that he was trying to cover his behind by saying he really likes mormons.

Alyson said...

did you go and check it out?

Kris said...

HEEHEEHEE...that made me laugh outloud because my mom is always asking me (she's not a member) if I am going to have 10 children...LOL.

Sariah said...

No, Alyson, I didn't go. We have no money for a house, even an "affordable" one (which is nonexistant in this area at this time, anyway). We are working on getting out of debt, then we'll start looking at houses. It will be a couple of years, at least. Oh, well. We have relatively cheap rent right now (again, for this area it is cheap!), so we will stay here until we can make some headway with our finances. You know the drill.

Philosophical Karen said...

Around here, two or three seems to be the norm. (Some of us are underachievers, but it doesn't mean we didn't try.)

I can only admire women who create and nurture large families. It's a gift I hope they are thankful for.

Me, Myself and I said...

that seriously in funny! I work in radio, what station was it at?