Tuesday, April 04, 2006

I Am SOOOOO Smart

I have these really great memories growing up of the cool things my mom would make us kids do. I say make, because honestly, how many kids do you know actually wants to go places like the Oil and Brine Museum in Smackover, Arkansas? (Nope, I will never forgive you for that one, Mom!) Most of the time, we got to do really cool things... we went to cool museums (although Mom always read EVERY word of EVERY display. That can get annoying!), we went to historical sites (even just stopping at the stupid roadsigns on the side of a highway), toured old houses, and we've even been to a battlefield or two. My mom was always all about education and exposure to many different kinds of cultural events. I've been to just about every kind of concert there is (except a rock concert), plays and musicals, Indian pow-wows, air shows, art shows, multicultural fairs, Renaissance faires... and so much more. I have to say, my mom (though embarrassing) is the coolest mom ever.

One of my favorite memories is from the third grade. My mom was a single mother, going to school to get degrees in English and theatre. She was attending a college about 2 hours away (if I remember correctly, which I probably don't), and if she wanted to attend something on campus, it was a pretty big deal to get to an event.

One day, Mom took me with her to class because she wanted to take me to a play that evening on campus. The class we attended was a literature class, and I believe it held mainly freshman or underclassmen. Mom talked to the professor ahead of time to make sure it'd be okay to bring me to class. He was a bit apprehensive at a young child attending a "boring" college class, but Mom explained that I was very well behaved, and would probably just sit and read a book the whole time. Oh, and my favorite book that year was Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn, which they happened to be studying for that particular class. The professor allowed me to come.

I remember just before class my mom and I eating sandwiches from a vending machine. I thought that was the coolest thing ever (I must have been way too young to realize how disgusting they really are!). When class began, I sat in the desk next to Mom (in the front row, of course), and started to read my book (Ramona Quimby, Age 8 by Beverly Cleary. Still a favorite of mine today). Partway through the class, the professor was getting frustrated with the students because they just weren't answering the questions right or something. I don't know, as I was busy reading my own book.

Suddenly, I remember the professor saying, "Come one! This is so easy! I'm sure this little girl knows the answer to the question!" My mom nudged me in the side, and I was a little confused. "Huh?" I asked.

The professor repeated the question (of which I don't remember now), and I promptly answered, then went back to my book as the professor yelled, "Yes! Exactly!" It was fun to be so smart back then. I thought I was pretty special being able to outsmart a bunch of college kids!

After class, my mom and I headed to the theatre to see the play: Threepenny Opera. The only thing I really remember from the play was the song "Mack the Knife" (and it was not long after that that McDonald's actually rewrote the song for their own commercials. It was a giant half-moon headed guy, and he sang "It's Mack to-niiiiiiight!!").

The other thing I remember is this scene with someone in jail, and his pregnant girlfriend came to visit him. She sang some song and did this elaborate dance number. I leaned to over to my mom and whispered, "She's not really pregnant. If she was, she wouldn't be able to do that!" I was an "expert" on the subject as my third-grade teacher was very pregnant at the time, and she couldn't do much but sit with her feet up on a chair and let us give her shoulder rubs as she read to us. My mom kind of chuckled at the comment, and we went on to watch the rest of the play.

Afterwards, we went backstage and Mom introduced me to several of her friends who were cast members, including the pregnant girlfriend. Mom told her of my comment during the play, and the girl laughed and said, "No, I'm definitely not pregnant. It's just a pillow, see?" She showed me this round pillow with ribbons on the ends to tie around her waist, then lifted her shirt a little to show me her very flat stomach.

Again, I felt soooo smart! I knew the difference between a pregnant woman and a woman pretending to be pregnant!

I also have such good memories of that little excursion with my mom because it was just Mom and me. I had so much fun, and Mom always made me feel special by doing things with just me. She did that with all my siblings... found things to do with each person individually. Like I said, my mom is the coolest mom ever.

Thanks, Mom.

8 comments:

Lura said...

I second what Sariah said. We have the coolest mom ever. I remember going to class with Mom also. I had a stuffed animal with me (you know, the cute one from Gremlins), and it had something in it's belly that if you bounced him up and down he squeaked. Well, I used to bounce when I walk, and we walked a lot that day. After that, he didn't squeak anymore.

Oh yeah, and the Oil and Brine Museum was boring. So was Gettysburg after a couple days. Other stuff was awesome though, like the plantations and the alligator farm. And I loved Hannibal, MO. I'd like to go back someday.

Sariah said...

Ohmygosh! Hannibal, MO was SOOOO fun! That was a good trip... even though I seem to remember a lot of rain?

Allrie said...

Thank you Sarian and Lura--you've really made my day, and yes, I', crying.

Oh, and while I LIKED the oil and brine museum, personaslly, I agree, after two days Gettysburg started to become a bit old...but that was NOT my fault! You'll have to blame Dad for that one.

S, I apoligize for never taking you to a rock concert...but I somehow was never really up for New Kids...

I have to say that your memories are quite accurate of the events at CSUSB, and it was a plot question that you answered, blowing away most of that large lecture freshman class.(A friend and I wre not allowed to answer questions in there because we were taking the class most just to get an A from Dr. Lee while holding student loans at bay after graduating mid-year.)

fourth_fret said...

awww. what a great tribute to your mom.

(personally, i think she's a little whacky go nuts, but then... that would make a great mom!)

NO FAIR! heh.

ABQ Mom said...

What great adventures you had growing up. That really is saying something about your mom. What a great mom!

I can probably say that I've been to ALMOST every national park (Big or Small) in the Western States. My parents loved to travel, we stopped at all those little historic sites, and my mom read all the signs to us. Even when we could read.

I'll probably do the same thing for my children, especially since we have to travel long distances to visit relatives we'll have plenty of opportunity to stop at little signs next to the road.

Philosophical Karen said...

My husband and I saw Threepenny Opera at Stratford, Ontario when it played there a couple of years ago. We keep looking for a play we can attend as a family. I think my son would enjoy MacBeth or Julius Caesar. I would show him Kenneth Branagh's movie of Henry V, except for that one part near the end where something happens to the young boys. I know he would not be able to handle that. Maybe now that they are performing a musical at school, he might like to see a musical at Stratford. I should see what's playing this year.

Alyson said...

When The Clock Strikes half past 6 babe, Time to head for golden lights.... The half moon head haunts me but I like the song.

Proud Mum said...

Oh I have so much I want to say about this post! (I did read it when the post was still fresh, but my brain was turned off. Today is feels fresh to me, sorry I'm so slow.)

I still -and vividly- remember those McDonald's commercials. I did know that it came from Jack the Knife, but I've never seen the play, good for you!

Yay you for being so smart! (have to start being brief, Little Red has been more than patient, I think I've reached the quota.)

Ramona rocks my world. Did you know that the Ramona books have been translated into at least 29 languages? I grew up reading her in French. But I loved that I could go to the English library and find her as well.

As a teacher I always made sure I had her on my bookshelf.

Whatever else I wanted to say is now lost ... sorry.