Thursday, July 13, 2006

3 Firsts and 1 I-Doubt-This-To-Be-The-Last

1. Aiden escaped from us at the mall. We were all in the Disney Store, and Ches and I seperated a little bit (but not much. We were still within eyesight of each other). Next thing I knew, Aiden wasn't within eyesight. I asked Ches if he had Aiden. Nope. He thought I did. So we both started looking. Since we were at the back of the store, we each went down opposite sides, going to the front. I started to freak a little bit, but I wasn't screaming his name hysterically yet. I got to the front of the store, and I'm sure I looked a bit frantic because a woman said to me, "Are you looking for your little boy?" Aiden had left the store to play on the machines (you know, where you put in quarters to "ride" a car or something), but once he got out there he realized we weren't there, and he started crying. HARD. There were some moms out there trying to comfort him and ask him where his mom and dad were. Once he saw me, he ran to me and hugged me and wouldn't let go. He was so scared. Of course, so was I. I didn't really want to let him go, either. He is still talking about how scared he was, so we'll see how long it lasts until he tries to escape again.

2. Dallin escaped from the house. Aiden's imaginary friends have been coming over to play a lot lately. For example, Dash (from the Incredibles) has been spending quite a bit of time at our house. Aiden calls up InvisaGirl and asks if Dash can come over. A little while later, Aiden announces "mom, Dash is here!" and he runs to the front door to let Dash in. The other day, I heard the announcement, and then I heard Aiden open the door. I also heard him say, "Dallin, no!" The door shut, and I realized it had gotten very quiet in the house. I ran to the door, opened it, and there was Dallin, running to the front yard and the stairs leading to the parking lot! Aiden was chasing after him, yelling, "Dallin, come back!" Oh, and both boys were still in their pajamas.

3. Aiden stood up to pee. While we were running errands, we stopped at Barnes and Nobles to use a gift certificate we had (got "A Light in the Attic", btw). Of course, Aiden had refused to go potty before we left, so he got kind of desperate in the bookstore. Ches took Aiden to the Men's bathroom, but apparantly all the stalls were being used. Aiden really had to go, so Ches said, "Okay, Aiden, this is a urinal." Aiden had no problems, and was quite proud of himself. However, he didn't actually tell me about it. Ches said, "Did Aiden tell you he stood to pee?" I asked Aiden about it and praised him for being such a big boy, and he nonchalantly answers, "Yeah, I know.", like "It's really no big deal, Mom. Sheesh."

4. I ruined dinner last night. I was in a hurry, trying to get all of our stuff together because we were going to an outdoor concert with the Reno Jazz Orchestra (theme of the night was "Carribean Jazz". So fun.). I was gathering the cans of food to donate to the food bank, packing the diaper bag, filling water bottles, and making dinner to take all at the same time. The pasta that was boiling on the stove ended up burning and the house was filled with smoke. I had to leave right then to pick up Ches so we'd get to the concert on time, so I ended up calling him at work and having to leave a message. The guy laughed as I said, "Could you just tell him this is his wife and I ruined dinner, so I'm running late?" I was so embarrassed. I got most of the smoke out, ordered pizza, cheesy bread, and a two-litre of pop, got the kids in the van, picked up dinner, got Ches, and we still made it to the concert in time to get a good spot on the grass where it would get shady quickly (the sun was going down) and the band hadn't started playing yet. Whew.

I have to clean out the pot of burned, dried pasta still. I have successfully burned each and every one of our pots and pans at different times, set a few of them on fire (seriously... flames shooting up!!), and blown up several casserole dishes. This is why this one is not a First, but a I Doubt This To Be The Last. Ches laughed at me a lot last night. At least I'm entertaining.

3 comments:

ABQ Mom said...

child escaping would fall in the "not the first time and doubt it's the last time" category for me.

W has peed standing up a few times, but never in a urinal. He did do it in a port-a-potty on our trip. And the other day we were at the park and the next thing we know W is standing in the grass with his shorts around his ankles peeing. (I've made him go out in the yard when the toilets are both occupied or when he backed up the toilet and the other wasn't installed yet.) But it was still pretty shocking and funny.

Sorry about the burned dinner, that's pretty funny. With all the stress of the evening it's not surprising. But I'll let you in on a secret, I've NEVER taken a homemade meal to a park event! Always take-out of some sort. :-)

Proud Mum said...

I'm impressed you were so capable of multi-tasking! I'm pretty good at ruining dinner when I'm paying attention! And if my house was all in smoke I'd not have had the presence of mind to order pizza.

I bow at your multi-tasking, maternal prowess.

Alyson said...

Chidren escaping is part of the initiation of being in our family. If the child doesn't try to excape he's not ours.

As for getting Aiden to pee standing up I am so impressed. E will hold it till his kidneys burst until he finds a toilet to sit on and D just stood for the first time on our last camping trip. It only worked because he had something to aim at. The next time he couldn't do it.

Finally, burning dinner is also an initiation for marrying into the family although I havn't checked with EZ to see if she has destroyed a dinner yet.