Monday, July 17, 2006

Where Have All the Boy's Clothes Gone??

Dallin has been growing like a weed this summer. We are already on a new pair of sandals, up a diaper size, and buying all new clothes for him because everything else is stretched to the limits (he's kind of a skinny kid, but he's kind of long, too). The worst is pajamas. We are seriously stretching his little summer pajamas (they are a lot like rompers... one piece, short-sleeved, short-legged, with snaps at the bottome like a onesie for easy diaper changing access) as we try to snap them up. They pull at him, and it honestly doesn't look all that comfortable. I'd let him sleep in just a diaper (it is SO hot out!!), but I'm afraid of him taking the diaper off in the middle of the night or something. So on Friday, I piled the kids in the van and we headed out to find Dallin some new pajamas (and see what other clothes might be on sale.).

My first stop was Old Navy. When Aiden was a newborn up to about 2 years old, I think he was dressed in almost exclusively Old Navy. They had such good bargains, good regular prices, the clothes didn't wear out easily, and I could find anything I wanted and I liked everything they had.

Something has happened at Old Navy in the last few years, though. The quality of the clothing has deteriorated (I have several friends here in town that have said the same thing and won't buy Old Navy jeans for their boys anymore). The selection of boys clothing is the worst. I walked into the store to find that they had rearranged a bit. The entire back area was girls' clothing. The signs showed one corner that was for newborn to toddler boys, and really it was only about two small racks of clothing. The only pajamas I could find were pink (very definitely girl!!), there were no shoes, mainly the same t-shirts they have had since April, and a bunch of denim shorts. What happened??

We then went to the mall. I checked out Gap Kids and Baby Gap. Now, they were obviously renovating their store as there weren't even a whole lot of adult clothes in the store (all the Gap stores are in one place in our mall), but there was literally NO little boys' clothes. I went the the Children's Place, and while they still had more girls' clothes than boys, they still had a pretty good selection when it came to variety of styles, sales, and sizes. Because of the sales, I was able to get Dallin one pair of pajamas, a sleeveless romper, and some sandals for Aiden, and I only spent $10.17. I think I did well there. We headed over to Gymboree, and while they had a pretty good selection of boys' clothing (although yet again, the majority of the store was for girls!!), their prices are just too expensive for me. I'm sorry, but WHY would you pay $20 for a pair of pajamas that they will only wear for a few short months before A) the weather has completely changed and they need winter pajamas, and B) the kid will outgrow the pajamas anyway?!

After we got home, I went online and searched both OldNavy.com and Gap.com, but still found it lacking in boys' clothing. I don't understand. Do clothing manufacturers think boys only make up less than 1% of the population or something?

I understand that it is easier to come up with a variety of styles for girls, but honestly, most of those styles are ugly anyway! These little girls are now being dressed like their older, teenage sisters. Their teenage sisters are dressing like 20-something year old college students, and these college students are dressing like they are going clubbing rather than going to class or the grocery store! Toddler girls should NOT be wearing low-rise jeans and belly-baring shirts. Most adults really shouldn't either (I'm sorry, but your stomach isn't as pretty as you think it is.). And what is it with thongs for 8 year olds?? Completely inappropriate. I also hate all the little t-shirt slogans. It's bad enough to see a 21 year old with a t-shirt that says "b*tch" or "MILF in training", but to see it on younger girls? The "spoiled rotten" and "princess" t-shirts still send out the wrong message as far as I'm concerned. Oh, and I absolutely hate the ones that say things like, "Tell your boyfriend I said thank you". In some ways, I'm glad to have boys. I don't want these messages on their chests, or clothes that are only made to show off the body in completely inappropriate ways and make 12 year olds think they are sexy.

Which brings me back to boys clothing (the actual point of this post). Unless you want to see my boys running around naked (which may be okay at this age, but Aiden starts kindergarten in just a year, so I really need him going to school in something decent!), I need to see more merchandise for boys!! Until they get their standards of quality and quantity back, I don't think I'll be shopping at Old Navy anytime soon.

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

I totally heay ya!!! Old Navy use to have great stuff for kids...what happened? I have a 2 year old boy and can't find anything for him there anymore.

I just had a girl, she's nearly 3 months...I have seen the thongs and it totally freaks me out!!! NO WAY will I ever buy those for her...and the low rise jeans...UGH!!! What are the manufacturers thinking???

Proud Mum said...

Cookie dough in hand I think I'm ready to unleash my feelings on the issue...

Since I first stepped foot in the baby stores I've noticed the imbalance. It's pretty clear that all designers are focusing on girls clothes and not at all on boys clothes.

Old Navy is a pet peeve not only for the imbalance (because at least our store is not quite as bad as yours! -yet) but because the boys clothes are mostly UGLY! I don't need to spend $8 on a t-shirt with some stupid/ugly logo on it. Is there no style anymore? Old Navy aside, there are a lot of brands doing the same thing, making ugly, overpriced boys clothes.

The girls clothes definitely receive more attention, but as you already hinted, the baby-designers are trying to grow up our babies too quickly. I don't have a daughter, but I weap for all the parents of girls who have to sift through the hoochie clothes to try to find something that will cover the diaper.

I think I need to pick up the sewing machine and really learn how to sew. But in the meantime I shop the sales and pick through everything in hopes of dressing my son as nicely as possible given the options. Once Upon A Child all the way -- bring on that Ralph Lauren Baby at Children's Place prices!

April_Mommy said...

You have found a way to rally us all around you Sariah... I have been shopping at Walmart for years because of the cheap prices and I was broke... but now that I can afford to shop in other places, I really avoid them anyway. Mostly because of exactly what you have been talking about. It is frustrating.

As for TV, I do the same thing as GoofyJ. PBS durring the week, Nic JR. on CBS on Saturday. I also pick up some old DVD's whenever I can. My little Ponies are a family favorite around here :-)

Alyson said...

I have resigned myself to the fact that stores won't carry much in the boy department. I don't know why I expected any different becuse when you look at the ratio of female boutiques to male, the numbers can be staggering. So why should it be any different in childrens stores?

As for the choices out there your right there is not much unless you want to pay a pretty penny, but if I had enough pretty pennies to buy tem what they needed I would already ouwn a house. So whats a mom to do? I think its time for me to start sewing again. I can make some pretty decent PJs, shorts oreven a pair of jeans that will actually fit my sons' skinny waists. As for the shirts I need to practice. If I plan things right boys everywhere will be wearing "Boys By Alyson" (BBA) fo short. Girls will be so envious (you like that Karen) that I'll have to come up with "Girls By Alyson" Then I 'll take over the worl one belly button at a time.

fourth_fret said...

well, i'm neither a kid haver, or clothes maker but i'm now skeered of the mad mommies uniting.

MMU for short.

hey, there's a logo for someone's next line of clothing...

heh.

(don't kill me. i'm amused by nature, not because i think the topic should be taken light heartedly.)

Philosophical Karen said...

There are fewer boys clothes anyway, but what little there are are also being bought by mothers of girls who (justifiably) don't like the girls' designs.

Personally I think some of the phrases on T-shirts are cute. (My son has one that says, "For Sale: My Parents. Buy One Get One Free." I'm not sure if others would find that offensive, but I find it hilarious.) But I also know we don't have quite the same amount of choice here that's available in the U.S. (I saw some stuff when we were in Las Vegas that really made me queasy.)

Finally, regarding jealousy vs. envy, to anyone who now chooses to associate my name with those words, I will smile the blog equivalent of a wry smile at you if that's what you want; but the absolute truth of the matter is that I ignore the distinction between those words when anyone else (other than myself) uses them.

ABQ Mom said...

I very much dislike the logo shirts. Being the mother of a boy and a girl I did notice when I only had a boy that there were more clothes for girls than boys. But I got over it, I realized that boys only need the basic esentials that can mix and match. Shirts, shoes, pants, and shorts. I won't buy jeans from Old Navy anymore, W puts holes in the knees WAY too fast, and sometimes I can't find something that fits W (my) style but just have to wait a few weeks and they have new stuff.

Then I became the mother of a girl, there are pants, skirts, shorts, dresses, t-shirts, blouses, shoes, tons of clothes for little girls. There are some things that I absolutely won't buy, and I won't buy the shirts with the logos, but it looks like besides Julia I'm the only one with a toddler girl. Do you think I dress my little girl like a scank?

April_Mommy said...

Karen, I would buy that logo shirt any time... I find it very funny as well!

Lura said...

As I've had to do more shopping for my son (he really grows way too fast as he's now wearing sizes of kids twice his age) I've noticed this lack of boy's clothes as well. I've been joking with my hubby about designing a line of kids clothes, maybe I should quit joking. Anyone want to help? I'm good at design, but the sewing is a little more difficult for me :).

Luckily for me I don't have to really worry about the tv thing yet. Mine is still a little young to care about watching it. Unfortunately I think I'm probably quickly running out of time with that, so it's good to hear all the suggestions.