Friday, July 07, 2006

Random Friday

I once had a roommate that owned a Dave Barry desk calendar. Monday, October 23, had this written on it:

Music scholars divide orchestra instruments into five families:
*Instruments You Blow Into and Eventually Have to Get the Spit Out Of (tubas, whistles, cormorants, tribunes).
*Instruments You Hit (drums, triangles, rhomboids, homophones).
*Instruments That Are Easily Concealed (piccolos).
*Furniture (pianos).
*Instruments That Could Turn out to Be Worth a Million Skillion Dollars (violins).

*****

I am currently reading The Christmas Quilt by Thomas J. Davis. I'm really liking it. It takes place in the 40's in a small town called Smokey Hollow, which is in the mountains of Georgia. I feel like I get my southern accent back a bit after I've read it, but that just may be in my head. Anyrate, it's critics have compared it to Oral History by Lee Smith and Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Burns (neither of which I have read yet, but I keep trying to get Cold Sassy Tree from the library. It's always out.).

*****

Early one morning last week, Aiden came into our room and climbed into bed. Ches and I were both exhausted still, and I didn't feel like even opening my eyes to acknowledge the boy. Aiden asked for something to drink, and I said, "Yes, just a minute" hoping that he was also so tired he would just fall asleep while waiting and I wouldn't have to actually get up. He asked again, about 30 seconds later, and I gave the same answer.

Another 30 seconds or so passed, and he was climbing over me to get in between Ches and me. Ches asked Aiden, "What are you doing?" to which Aiden replied, "I'm trying to get my mom to get me something to drink!"

I got up and got him something to drink.

Ten minutes later, Aiden said to Ches, "Dad, will you play games with me?" (Remember, in Aiden speak that means he is asking to play on the XBox, not Candyland or something). Ches replied (in a very tired voice), "Eventually".

Aiden turned to me. "Mom, can Dad play games with me?"

"What did Dad say?"

"He said, 'Eventually'."

"Aiden, do you even know what eventually means?"

"Yes," he replied with all the confidence in the world, "it means 'yes' in Spanish."

Aiden just kept looking at us as we laughed, trying to figure out the joke.

*****

Sloths like to eat berries and leaves. Because they are slow. And that is good for sloths.

Thus saith Aiden.

*****

We went to see a couple of movies recently. While Ches was in Phoenix, I took the boys to see Over The Hedge. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked that movie! It was very funny and really well done. I highly recommend it for families with kids of all ages. And I do mean all ages. It's no Pixar movie (now they know how to entertain a family), but it was still so great.

This week Ches and I took the boys to see Cars. Of course Aiden loved it! We all did. Except for Dallin. He liked most of it, but the tractor tipping scene scared him (the sounds the tractors made was too scary, I guess), so anytime the tractors came on screen he would start to cry a bit. I think my favorite part of the movie was the scenes they show during the credits. Oh, and if you haven't seen it yet, stay all the way through the credits. There is another short little scene. It isn't sooooo important, like in X-Men III, but it's still a cute scene.

We also rented a couple of movies recently (and we have the Blockbuster Online thing, so we are always getting movies in the mail. I love it), so I thought I'd let you know about a couple of those.

First was The Wedding Date, with Debra Messing. It was cute. Nothing too special. It was good to see Debra Messing in a role other than Grace, and there was no Grace in this character, so that was fun. This was definitely a rental movie.

Second was Cassanova, with Heath Ledger. Now, I have to to make this very clear... I didn't have high hopes for this movie. I don't think it got the best reviews. I got it because I'm totally and completely in love with Heath Ledger (did you see The Patriot??? Mmmmmm, yummy), and it looked like it might be a cute movie. Ches had no interest in seeing this one, so I watched it by myself one afternoon. Surprise, surprise!! I loved it! It was quite enjoyable and funny! There were so many little things in it, and the whole time I was thinking, "Ches would love this!" So if you want to watch Cassanova but your husband doesn't... make him anyway. Trust me, you'll both enjoy it a lot.

*****

I cannot get my hair to go like what the girl did when I got it cut. It's very frustrating. It makes me hate my new haircut. I'm getting better at it, but it's just not the same. Oh well. Stuck with it now!

*****

Dallin has a new favorite game. He likes to push the buttons on the TV to see what it does: he changes the volume, he changes the channels (making everything fuzzy because we run the cable through the VCR), and he brings up the menu for the TV. His favorite, though, is to turn the TV off, turn and look at us with a puzzled expression, throw his hands out, and say, "Go?" He thinks it's hilarious. I'm getting a little annoyed by it (especially when I'm trying to watch Jeopardy and I don't know the answer but I want to find out and he turns it off right as the correct answer is about to be given!). Well, I may find it annoying, but it is also very cute. He is one adorable, funny kid.

*****

Quote of the day:
Tests of our faith are priceless opportunities to discover how deeply the Master cares about the welfare of our souls to help us endure to the end.
--Elder Robert D. Hales (of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints)

10 comments:

Proud Mum said...

I loved this RF! I think it was one of my favourites!

First of all, although I always thought Dave Barry was funny, that calendar clip was just about the most hilarious thing I've heard, and definitely moves him up on my comedian list.

And second of all, your kids are so dang cute! I hope I get to meet them someday.

Allrie said...

I remember that Dave Berry bit from one of his [hilarious--need it be said?] columns. Of course it is funny, because there is so much truth in it.

I love Aiden's "Spanish" I just wish he'd tslk to me more often. Hmmm, gues I need to send him something, that usually does it. I can hardly wait to see all of you--and get to know Dallin, he gets cuter all the time.

Alyson said...

Aidens spanish is great. as for Cassinova Tim ad i liked it too. We saw it in the theater and laughed all the way through.

fourth_fret said...

music clearly isn't my language. i'm nodding and agreeing because all of you are, but deep down... it's above my head. ;) hey, that's pretty tricky if you think about it.

Proud Mum said...

As for the television problem -- been there and how!!! Check your remote. One day we hit "menu" and found "parental controls" and were able to block the front panel on the tv. It basically means Little Red get meet his button-pushing quota without blaring the Armenian channels or turning the thing off during those all-important Jeopardy moments.

Philosophical Karen said...

There was an awful lot in this post. I'm sorry you are not able to get your hair to go right. Maybe a new hairbrush would help? At least it couldn't hurt.

You make me want to see Casanova now, because I kind of like Heath Ledger too. (Even just his name is great, let alone his cute self.)

Alyson said...

Heath, his name, makes me think of a lustfull sigh. Not that i am lustfull towards him, but when you say his name it sounds like that. Maybe i'm just crazy

terrierchica said...

I have Cold Sassy Tree. I hated it (read it high school freshman year). You can have it, you might like it. Not my type of book. Give me a call if you want me to send it to you.

Oh and I totally agree with alyson about heath ledger. Though, I did like him in Lords of Dogtown...

terrierchica said...

oh and I can get you a cars poster for aiden if you want. like for his room. I know I'm not as cool as lura but again give me a call if you want said items.

(my phone doesn't always ring and I'm at work a lot so leave a message if I don't answer.)

ABQ Mom said...

For the button's problem on the t.v. we put tape over the buttons. An adult can still push them (if needed) but a child can't see it, doesn't know it's there. Just don't tape over the sensor for the remote. It really works. Promise!