Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Christmas Ornaments

Growing up, we had a certain Christmas tradition that I'm sure a lot of people have. However, it is one I always enjoyed, and when Ches and I married, I wanted us to keep this one up in our little family. Every year, we each get a new ornament for the Christmas tree. It can be something representative of the past year, something that has a special meaning to us, or just something we really like. Our tree doesn't have any sort of theme to it because of this mish-mash collection of ornaments, but it sure is fun to look at all the different things hanging on there. We have a glass ball from the Ohio State University, a "One Fish Two Fish" ornament (complete with a red fish and a blue fish!), Spiderman, Batman, Hermione Granger, a Santa driving an old car, a snowman holding an American Flag and wearing an Uncle Sam-like outfit, and so many more.

This year, the entire family has matching ornaments. They are different shapes, but all are made from beech wood. We got these ornaments from APO Industries, and you can find that link here. This company is a mom and daughter who wanted something that would make great gifts for parents or grandparents and would last. I think these ornaments really will. You get the ornaments in just their "natural" state: a nice, light wood, not painted. You have the option of painting them yourself, or leaving them as they are. I had a hard time deciding because I thought the ornaments look pretty good unpainted. Very simple and beautiful that way. I decided to make it a family project, however, so we painted them.

We received the "Jack" collection of ornaments: a tree, a bell, a star, and a rocking horse. We also received a special 2006 ornament of a dog sitting in front of a fireplace mantle. We left this one unpainted because I like it just the way it is.

The boys each picked which ornament they wanted, I handed them paint brushes, and set them free. When they were done, I added a couple of little "embellishments", and wrote their names and the year. Aiden got a hold of the paint marker (while I was busy washing paint off Dallin's stomach) and wrote his own name. Ches is still in the process of painting his.

Let me tell you why I like these ornaments so much. It made for a fun project for the kids. We just used craft paint, so I know it was safe and would wash off our skin easily (hey, I have boys. You think the paint is going to stay where it's supposed to??). They are so pretty. Did I mention the simplicity of them? You can get away from all the too-shiny stuff and have a beautiful tree with these ornaments. Not going to happen in our house of the Mis-matched Christmas Tree, but it was a nice idea. Anyway, back to the ornaments. They also smell so good! As soon as I took them out of the package, it smelled like fresh air, outdoors, the woods, and Christmas, all rolled into one.

I also think, because of their size and light weight, that the ornaments would make cool gift tags. Just paint on the name of the recipient. Add a nice little ribbon, and just tie it on to a gift basket or bag or whatever. Like I said, you don't have to paint them. Perhaps you like the gold or silver foil? Go for it! I was thinking that if I had some cool, shimmery paint I would try that. I'm definitely getting another collection next year, and maybe I'll buy some special paints for it.

The ornaments came in the mail really quickly, so you still have time to order them for this year! You can hang them on your own tree, or make them for Grandma and Grandpa who live far away. Seriously, check it out. I think you'll all like it a lot. I did.

**note** I have pictures, but Blogger is making things difficult again. Check out my Flickr account and they are there. I'll keep trying to post them here, though.

6 comments:

Philosophical Karen said...

I always make sure we have a new ornament each year. I also write the year of the ornament on it. This isn't a longtime family tradition, though. It's one I just made up when Mike and I got married. (By the way, we have a Hermione Granger too! And Hagrid, and Snape, and Harry, and so on.)

Proud Mum said...

I try to get a new ornament every year, but I'm pretty sure we've slacked on that. I think painting the ornaments was a great idea, and as I said on flickr, one day I'm going to have plenty of handpainted ornaments on my tree -- someday when my tree is bigger than 2 feet.

April_Mommy said...

Man Sariah can I send you a copy of SH's book? hehe we could use a review like that :-)

Laural said...

COOL! We buy a new Santa decoration for every year. We started with these little egg looking ornaments painted like santas playing different instruments. We got them in Russia right before we got married. That's why we started this tradition.

My sister does the new ornament thing every year and I love their tree. So many good stories! Besides, when the boys start out on their own, they will have a good collection to decorate their own tree! Very cool!

Lura said...

Wow, what an endorsement. You sound like an advertisment, they should pay you.

I'm glad you really like your ornaments though. I loved the tradition growing up, it's one Jesse had too, so we're definitly keeping it up in our family.

Alyson said...

I should get over myself and just make my tree an eclectic (sp?) tree with all the ornaments that my kids like. Its just that for the last few days by myself i have watched designer trees and thought wouldn't that be wonderful. Good for you for remembering its about the kids and memories.