Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Hawaii Update II

Yesterday there were a couple of the local TV news stations and some radio stations that did stories on the band not going to Hawaii. I still think this is wrong, but here are some of the realities.

UNR is receiving $750,000 to go to this bowl game. $350,000 of that goes to the WAC. The rest of the money is being used to send the 90 members of the football team, the coaches/staff and their families, a "handful" of cheerleaders (again, I don't think it's right that they should have to pick and choose who gets to go and who has to stay), and "some" of the athletics admistration. To take the band, you would have to charter a plane, and there just isn't the money for that, not to mention hotel stay and food. To get regular airline tickets at this point would cost approximately $1400 per student, so that's obviously out of the question. Essentially, they would be looking at spending a quarter of a million dollars to send the band. Where is that money supposed to come from?

I still think if the school wanted to do it, they could, but maybe that's just me.

The football team will be in Hawaii for a week, and they get to do all sorts of cool tours, sightseeing, etc. (including a visit to the Pearl Harbour Memorial and some sort of feast on the beach). I think that if you are going to Hawaii, you should totally do that stuff, but why do they need to do so much? And why do the coaches, staff, and administration get to take their families (or lesbian lovers, for that matter)?? I'm all for the families going, but make them pay their own way. First of all, coaches get paid insane amounts of money, so they could probably afford it anyway. Second of all, why not spend that money on some of the cheerleaders who will not be going?

Central Florida is not bringing their band for the same reasons as Nevada. In fact, no mainland school has ever brought their band to the Hawaii Bowl, according to the news last night. Too bad.

One of the best compliments I ever received was from a friend of mine at the University of Idaho. She and her husband were also transfer students from Ricks College. She was a member of the basketball team at Ricks. She said that as the players, they loved the band. The band brought so much support and spirit, and the athletes hated any games without the band. She said they never played as well without us. Then she thanked Ches and me for being in the band. Your welcome, Camille!! It's nice being appreciated.

12 comments:

Proud Mum said...

Well I guess the media coverages proves that you aren't the only one upset with the idea that the band and only "some" of the cheerleaders will go.

And at least you get your husband for your birthday. :-)

ABQ Mom said...

I talked with Shane about this subject. He said something like "didn't they learn the whole politics between athletics and arts in high school? Why would they think it would be different in college? They're musicians; get used to it."
I think it stinks that it has to go down like this. Too bad they couldn't have gotten chosen to go to a different bowl game. Then Ches (and you) could have gone.
I'm glad that the media is covering it. Maybe it will help get the word out that the arts are undersupported and maybe it won't be so bad in the future.
Plus you have to look at the bright side, Ches will be home on your birthday and christmas. :-)

Sariah said...

Tell Shane that just because that's they way it is doesn't mean we have to get used to it. We can fight back and try and make some change. If we just got used to things, then the world would suck. Women wouldn't be able to vote, England would be Catholic, and Phillip Glass or John Cage would have had no success with their oddball ideas.

ABQ Mom said...

I guess what he meant is that it shouldn't have come as a surprise. Not that we should just suck it up as "thats the way its always going to be".

I know he hates the politics. Believe me there were some politics in the Snow Building that always gave him the short straw. (I think thats part of why he decided not to continue in music)

fourth_fret said...

ok, meanie head, jerk face ballplayer or another sort entering the conversation...

put all those football players on the field with no band and no cheerleaders, and you still fill the stands. other way around, not so much. unless it's band wars... which you know rocks my face off, but i'm just saying...

(i still wish the band could go though.)

Me, Myself and I said...

If you're not in athletics you get the shaft. I was in band, I'm feelin' that. But I was also the General Manager of my college radio station. We broadcast all of their games (football, basketball[M&W] & hockey). They said they'd take us to certain events and last minute we'd get bumped. It stinks.

------
Also, you're a band geek, and so am I. I just ran across this site that has unique gifts for that certain type of geek:

http://www.bandgifts.com/

Sariah said...

Shane is right in that we shouldn't really be surprised. It seems like this happens all the time. And there are definitely politics in music... I've heard some horror stories from friends that transfered to BYU (Provo) after Ricks and hated it.

Hope I didn't speak (type) in hast before. I didn't want to sound like I was criticising your husband. So sorry about that, Dana. You know I respect and appreciate your (and Shane's) opinions and advice.

Allrie said...

Politics in schools, what a concept! It has always amazed me that there is so much trouble between the arets depts and the athletics. I was spoiled young--we had so much crossover in our small town!
I have to point out to fourth fret that you only fill the stands if people have a good time. Losing teams don't fill their stands, but losing teams with lots of spirit in the stands--meaning great cheerleaders and strong bands still fill the seats. I, personoally have had children in 2 different schools with losing teams where the fans turned out to see the band! (Gotta do something on Fri nights.)

fourth_fret said...

heh allrie, i never mind being proven wrong. that's how i learn.

i bet my 3 pointer could take your scale though. (not really, i'm just trying to talk smack in a band geeks blog because i'm oddly amused by it.)

Allrie said...

Cute FF, real cute. Except, I'm afraid I don't follow. What do you mean by a 3 pointer? (If it is a sport other than hockey, I have forgotten all I ever knew about it--all I ever hear about is hockey!)

fourth_fret said...

hmmm... am i talking smack to sariah's mom? because... i think maybe i am. so let me clarify. what i really meant to say was "BAND IS THE BEST EVER! sports? spitooey! who needs 'em?"

... and yes, a 3 pointer is a basketball term. but not nearly as cool as a musical scale. heh[/whisper]

Allrie said...

Thanks FF, yes, I'm Sariah's Mom--and it's OK to talk "smack" to me--my kids do :) The only 3 pointer term I could think of was basketball, but I'm old--in my high school (read bball) days there was no such thing. Back then I used to say that I wanted to have at least 6 kids--5 boys for a bball team and 1 girl to help me. Incidently I also dated a hot shot bball player in HS...

As for football, I've always said there was just one reason for it--so the band could play at the halftime.

My field was/is really theatre, henc my fine arts vs sports attitude. However, we have hockey players in the family. So you can talk all the "smack" you want--I rarely take things personally. :)