Thursday, December 15, 2005

White Christmas

In many parts of the country bad winter weather has really hit hard. My brother in Ohio had a snow day from school today. My sister in Boston looks totally snowed in, and I'm sure my brother in Idaho is already sick of the snow they have.

Here in northern Nevada, however, we have no snow. It's really weird. After living in snowy areas for so many years and then having such an unusual winter here last year, this just feels so wrong! There is no snow! And none in the forecast!

I'm normally not much of a snow person. I like it when it first falls and everything is so beautiful from this perfect blanket covering it all. I love the sparkle the snow gives off from the sun. I love to sit inside my warm home, watching the snow fall as I sip hot chocolate and read a book, covered in a blanket while I only have candles lit or minimal lighting (oh, and the kids are asleep, so it's nice and quiet, too).

However, people go and ruin it by walking in the snow. They don't know how to drive anymore, so it becomes completely dangerous to set foot outside. The snow melts a little and gets slushy and yucky. Oh, and I hate how it stays around FOREVER!!! Just melt and become spring already!

Right now Christmas is only two weeks away, and it just won't feel right if there isn't a good amount of snow. As much as I will hate it by New Year's, I'm literally dreaming of a white Christmas right now.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!

8 comments:

fourth_fret said...

you need to get out there and make yourself a good dirt devil. um, that's what we make... we have dirt as far as the eye can see... so no snow angels for us. (just keep your mouth clothed... it gets dusty.)

terrierchica said...

LET IT SNOW!!!! Woohoo! Actually, it's not snowing presently, but icing. Sleet, man. Gosh darn it. I love snow, everytime we get it. There's not that much on the ground (for new england anyway)...like 4 inches.and it's old. we need some fresh stuff!

ABQ Mom said...

I've always lived in a place where its usually moderate temperatures. Growing up I always hoped for a white christmas and if that didn't happen then I would hope for a snow on my birthday. Like FF said, theres no chance of snow in Arizona, but in Washington and here theres still a good chance, just have to hope really, really hard.

You should make yourself a tumbleweed snowman and put it up in your front yard. That was the joke in Kennewick and it applies here too. In fact every year a hotel near I-40 makes a big tumbleweed snowman, spraypaints it white and puts a blue ball cap on top and sets it up near the freeway. Its not christmas season until that tumbleweed snowman is up!

Alyson said...

There is still hope. I remember that it snowed in Scottsdale durring a PGA tournement. It didn't stay long but it still snowed and thats in the last 7 years.

Allrie said...

Benefits of not having snow:
+No need for the extra wardrobe--(save $)
+no ice either--or the attendant falls--(save dignity & $)
+no "snow days" the school calendar stays predictable--all year--no school on "holidays" like Memorial Day--(save off days)
+no shoveling--(save energy & heart attacks!)
+no dirty slush (save on laundry)
+no. um. there's got to be something else...
OK, I really like the snow, too, and am glad to be in Ohio with snow on the ground, show showers most days (at least a little) and more snow in the forecast.

terrierchica said...

Mom, should I be expecting my first white christmas in like 10 years?!?!

Allrie said...

Erica--yes.

April_Mommy said...

Sariah, the snow here in Idaho is not really that bad! The only thing that I wish is that this little town had a better buget for plowing! At the first real snowfall of the season, we say farewell to pavement for the next 4 months.