Thursday, December 29, 2005

Funny Words

Words make me laugh sometmies. Some words sound funny when you are saying them and other words sound funny when you hear them from someone else. Ches laughs at me because we'll be in the middle of a conversation and I will start to giggle.

"What?" he asks, somewhat annoyed because I'm obviously not paying attention to his riveting description of trumpet mouthpieces.

"That's a funny word." And I laugh out loud. I'm just laughing at a word he or I may have used. It just strikes me as funny, and I can't help it. Then Ches laughs at me because I'm laughing at a simple word.

Could I be more wierd?

Take the word excersaucer. Now that is a funny word. Just say it a couple of times. Don't you just want to laugh? I have been ever since Christmas Day (Dallin got one). I also like the word giggle. It is such a self-descriptive word. Giggle makes me giggle. It really does!

Other words I just think is cool. I'll agree with Ben on the word hypothetical. I remember the first time I heard the word plethera. That is also a really cool word. I tried to work it in to a conversation at least once a day for about a year there.

Sometimes a single word isn't enough. Then we have moved onto phrases. It's funny how we get stuck saying things for years on end, and then we stop using them. Someone else may use that phrase and you then think, hey, they're using my phrase! Some of my personal favorites: Dang the system anyway; Cool beans; Holy Hannah!

Ahhh, I love words. And phrases. They crack me up. Especially now with a three year old (and that is a post for another time).

**Ches wants to make it clear that he is not a trumpet nerd who talks about the specs and . . . I can't remember what else he said. I guess I seriously start to tune out when it comes to trumpet talk.**

13 comments:

terrierchica said...

So Lura and I were talking about christmas songs and what we like and dislike and all, and she says Ches HATES "The Christmas Song". So I thought, and thought, and thought, and finally got it! "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire!"
I will forever laugh at that song.

By the way, trombone mouthpieces are way more interesting. And the best is the Bach-6 1/2 (in my opinion, anyway)

Philosophical Karen said...

Yes, I would have to say, "Exersaucer" is a funny word. (So is "blather". I just thought I'd add that one to the mix.)

Proud Mum said...

I'm more into the phrases. When I first started college is when I was first introduced to the Idahoan (or just rural Mormon? -I don't know the difference in those cultures) term: oh my heck. It didn't take me long to realize it was just a contraction of "oh my gosh" and "what the heck" so I adopted the lesser-known cousin and used "what the gosh" as my exclamatory phrase.

hmmm, that was fun, I should revive that one.

April_Mommy said...

Proud Mum, Oh my heck is not strictly an Idaho or even a rural mormon phrase... I grew up with that one... not to mention that when we stubbed our toes we were supposed to say "OH DINGLEHOPPER!" which was one of my personal favorietes...

Proud Mum said...

Sorry April, let me re-phrase that to a localized Utah-Idahoan phrase. Or anywhere densly Mormon with transplants from said region. Please forgive me ;-) I knew nothing of Mormon culture before I went to school. Honest. Where I grew up Mormon didn't even mean obeying the word of wisdom.

fourth_fret said...

i never can keep up with the cool kids and their fancy phrases. :( i'm like... a dork times two.

plethora though, i can find a plethora of reasons to fit that into a conversation. :D

Proud Mum said...

FF, try working "What the gosh?!?" into a conversation. It'll cure whatever ails you. Use it sparingly, though, or it'll increase your dork status.

(Don't ask me how I know, I don't really want to talk about it.)

ABQ Mom said...

Okay, in Heather's defense, I hadn't heard the phrase "Oh My Heck!" till I went to Ricks either. Now I use it constantly. Some phrases that I used that I thought were MINE include, "You're Fired!"... okay... thats the only one that comes to mind right now. If I think of others, I'll come back.

Philosophical Karen said...

Happy New Year!

(I just can't beat dinglehopper, so I won't even try.)

fourth_fret said...

dadgummit, karen! you're everywhere! hehe

happy new year sariah! here's to new words, new phrases, and new friends! WOOT!

Proud Mum said...

H P Y E E R

;-)

terrierchica said...

hahahahaha

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

google makes me giggle!