Thursday, April 20, 2006

Family Bed

Last night we had quite a bit of trouble getting the boys to sleep. Somehow, after 11 pm, we all ended up in mine and Ches' bed... but it wasn't normal sleeping positions. Aiden was the only one under any covers, Ches was laying vertically across the bottom, I was laying with my feet on Ches' legs and kind of curled around Dallin, and Dallin kept switching around where he was, although I think he finally ended up on his stomach with hi little bum up in the air, head towards his dad.

As I was falling asleep, I kept thinking, "I wish I could remove myself from my body and take a picture of this. I bet it'd be awesome."

I once read a magazine article or something about this photographer who would go into celebrities' homes and take pictures of them with their families when they first woke up in the morning. (The photographer had permission to do this. This wasn't some crazy paparazzi thing.) They were all shot in black in white, and they were just beautiful. I remember one being someone in a yoga pose, someone elsein bed with husband and dog, and my favorite was of Emma Thompson... husband and daughter all in the same bed, daughter was jumping around in that "wake up! Wake up!" thing that young kids do, and it was kind of a close up of Emma Thompson's face. She was smiling and kind of holding her messy bed hair out of her eyes. She had on no make up, but that first morning picture was truely a piece of art.

At least, I'm pretty sure that's about how the picture went. Mostly I just remember thinking, "That is the coolest portrait I have ever seen." It seemed to capture her as she truely is... and not as this big star that everyone thinks they know.

So we were in bed last night (until Ches woke up at 1 am and put Aiden in his bed and I immediately woke up and put Dallin in the crib), and I wished and wished I could have taken a picture of my little family, asleep on one bed.

And I wished that we had a king size bed.

6 comments:

Thérèse said...

Ooooh. I would like to see that portrait.

I think people are beautiful when they are caught in moments like that. And beautiful moments like that? Well, they're beautiful.

Laural said...

You are such a great writer! You should look into writing articles or something. You express yourself so well! (ok, I kindof sound like my mom...sorry!)

I wish I could see that picture of you guys...heck, I wish I could see any picture of you guys! (ok, I need help getting back to your flickr page!)

Happy sleeping tonight!

Lura said...

That sounds so nice. And adorable, I wish you could have somehow taken a picture of it as well.

As for the king size bed, well, I wish we could have a queen size bed!

Proud Mum said...

Our "favourite" family bed position is the Great H. Husband and I are perched on our respective two inches of the sides of the bed while our ever-growing toddler is perpendicular between us. That's why we're kicking him out of our bed now. It was cute when he was short. He's not short anymore.

Dr. Sears says that the only piece of baby furniture a family really needs is a king size bed.

I would love to see those photos... that would be so cool. I would also love to be able to wake at the same hour as my husband.

ABQ Mom said...

"W" is so sneaky about getting into our bed in the middle of the night we don't even know he's there till morning or one of us gets up to use the bathroom. He sneaks around to daddys side of the bed and just slithers his way into the bed under the covers next to daddy without him even knowing. (I guess the fact that daddy is a heavy sleeper helps with that.) Like proud mum we've woken up with the perpendicular baby inbetween us. I don't sleep well when they're in my bed though. I would have probably spent the whole night thinking about the weird sleeping arrangement too. ;-)

Oh and we do have a king size bed, but it still feels too small sometimes. :-D

Allrie said...

I loved tose family bed days--both as a kid and as a Mom--pics would be great, but we'll always have our memories, and your written description went a long way towards capturing the moment.And, yes, kingsize beds are great--but I remember my folks double bed with four of us kids in it receiving our early trig lessons from my Dad.:)