Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Ugh, Drivers!

I consider myself a pretty fair driver. Well, actually I'm pretty good, but there is always room for improvement. And I still make dumb mistakes every so often, but who doesn't? I think most of driving is just common sense, and maybe most people don't actually have common sense. I'm starting to really believe that for a few reasons:

1. Turn signals. They have a purpose, people! Use them when you are going to make a turn. Or switch lanes. Especially in heavy traffic. I shouldn't have to go into specifics on how to use your turn signal, but I will on an individual basis. I'm so sick of wondering if someone is drifting into my lane or switching lanes. Either way, I don't think they noticed my big, white van was already there!

2. Emergency vehicles. When an emergency vehicle is coming along with flashing lights and a siren blaring, PULL OVER! I don't care if you are on the opposite side of the road on a 4-lane road. You are still supposed to pull over. Duh. (Yes, I just said "duh". If you are going to act like a middle school kid, I will speak like one, so there.)

3. 4-Way Stops. You must wait your turn at a 4-way stop. And you do NOT wave on someone who is going straight when you are making a left-hand turn if they got there after you. That is just an accident waiting to happen. Just use all the right of way rules, and we'll be fine.

4. Car Stereos. If I can't hear my radio over yours, that means your stereo is WAY too loud! I don't care how much you love your (c)rap. Keep it to yourself. I especially don't like the pounding bass (I've had quite a few migraines recently, and that doesn't help at all), and I don't want my kids to hear some of the language coming from your car. Oh, and when you come from work in the middle of the night, could you please turn your stereo down so all your sleeping neighbors won't wake up? Thank you.

Okay, that's enough complaining for now. I know I have tons more, but that will have to wait for another time. I'm tired of complaining. Go back and read my previous post for something happy!

9 comments:

Laural said...

I totally agree with everything you said! Although I will admit that at times, when there are no other cars around me (in visible site) I don't always use my blinker.

Also, I loved the memories of your mom. I have those too, since I was the last one at home. When we had to stay at school all day for a game or something at night, we would order pizza or go to Polar Bear (which they have closed). I miss my mom!

Allrie said...

Laurel, you can come visit (after I get back from Boston) and I will happily mother you--I know that your Mom has mothered Sariah before.

We bicyclists wish that drivers would use their turn signal as well!

fourth_fret said...

and another thing. get off the freakin' cellphone you maniacs!

and... the drivers seat is not a motel room. get outta his lap, you yainch! (i don't know what a yainch is exactly, but i'm hoping it doesn't result in a soapy mouth later...) heh.

and, and, and... tailgating is grounds for sudden break slammage. i'm just sayin'...

whew. thanks sariah. i need to vent. ;)

Lura said...

I agree with all you said and would like to add two more.

When you're driving on a road with 2 or more lanes going one direction, if you are going slowly, go into the slow lane, move out of the way of the person actually going the speed limit. Driving 10-20 miles below the speed limit is just as unsafe as going way above the speed limit.

On and off ramps are for acceleration/deceleration. That's why we have them. You aren't supposed to do those things on the freeway.

Ok, those are two of my pet peeves that I've been dealing with a lot lately.

ABQ Mom said...

I need to piggy back on what Fourth Fret had to say.

We have a problem with Tailgaters here and really agressive driving. If there isn't room for you to change lanes don't sqeeze in front of a semi truck so close HE has to slam on his breaks. It kinda freaks out the rest of us on the road.

If you're tailgating me, I'm just gonna let off the gas slowly. You're gonna be crawling and stuck behind me! So HAH!

Oh, and my hubby hates using the turn signal but at least he does. He just only lets it blink once, if you miss it thats your problem. He does it the most when he knows my dad is following him. It drives him crazy!

April_Mommy said...

What my father has always called "The Utah Block"... when you are on a two lane highway, going the same speed as the person next to you... either speed up or slow down so people can pass!

Thérèse said...

And why must there be sooooo... ooooooo... ooo... oooooooooooooo... ooooo

(pauses, takes breath)

ooooo... oooo many of them?

Philosophical Karen said...

Yeah, the four-way stop thing bugs me the most. Especially when people get too literal about it. If two people are going straight, in opposite directions (towards each other), it's okay to both go at the same time. You don't have to wait at the stop sign till the other car passes you before you go.

At least, I don't think you should have to wait. You don't have to wait, do you?

Proud Mum said...

I think we're all on the same page as you, Sariah.

What April's father calls the Utah Block I called The Great Mormon Wall the first time I ventured into Utah. Honestly, my first thought was, "is this how they get their home teaching done?"