Friday, April 21, 2006

Random Friday

I love the warm weather. They say it is going to drop about 10 degrees tomorrow, but it will still be 60, so I'm happy. I just wish I had more summer maternity clothes that fit! I'm already quite warm, and capris and t-shirts seem to be quite comfy right now. When it gets really hot out, I think I have enough t-shirts and stuff, but all of those clothes are too big right now. I kinda hate how much my body changes during pregnancy. It's just so stinkin' unpredictable. Although I kinda like how I look when I pregnant because I think I'm kinda cute. In some outfits more than others. I may be in tons of pain and discomfort, but darn it, I'm cute!

*****

Did you know that seahorses have a "body armor" kind of like armadillos? I didn't. Until I saw the Stanley episode about seahorses. Oh, and seahorses are great dads. I love watching Stanley. Playhouse Disney has some great shows.

*****

Speaking of great kids shows on Playhouse Disney... Bear in the Big Blue House will have all new episodes all next week! I'm so excited, I'm ready to do the "Bear Cha-cha-cha"! I didn't think Bear was even on anymore! Of course, here in Nevada it's on at 6:30 in the morning, and we aren't up yet. And I'm sure not waking my kids up that early (or myself) just to watch Bear. So today I'm thankful for the wonderful invention of VCRs.

*****

Tuesday night is Ches' final Wind Ensemble concert. It is also the debut performance of the Wind Symphony that we are both playing in (the community group that just started back in January or February). I'm really excited for this concert. We are playing some really difficult, but really fun music: Symphonic Dance No. 3 (“Fiesta”) by Clifton Williams, Trauersinfonie by Richard Wagner, Second Suite in F by Gustav Holst, and The Cowboys by popular American composer John Williams.

As we were rehearsing for the final time last night, all I could think of is "I wish my mom could come to my concert." You see, my parents haven't been to one of my band concerts since I was in high school because I went to college so far away from home. (Although my mom did get to come to Symphonic Band rehearsal at Ricks during Mother's Week, and she attended one of my flute lessons with me.) I would like to show my mom and dad that it was worth it to send me away to school, it was worth it to buy me a flute when we had no money, and it was worth it to let me major in something like music. I know that I'm not playing as well now as I used to, but this is still a major thing to me: that I am still playing. When I wanted a new flute, my parents bought me one my junior year of high school with one condition: that I keep playing. I had to play in college. I didn't have to be a music major, but I did have to play in something. I want my mom to come to my concert so I can show her what I have done with that one simple promise I made back in 1993.

*****

Where in the world did the "media" get the idea that nicknaming famous couples was a good idea? I mean, I kind of understood the whole "Bennifer" thing, but now we have "Brangelina" and "TomKat"... it's getting out of hand, and it's just plain stupid! Ches and I are Ches and Sariah, not "Chesiah" or something equally weird. I just wonder where the entertainment world comes up with some of things and how it catches on so well.

Besides combining a couple's names, the other phrase I hate is "baby bulge". Nowhere in real life have I hear of a pregnant belly called a "baby bulge". It just sounds so ugly to me! I like "pregnant belly", or "pooch" for when a woman is just showing. That might just be me, though.

*****

My very first CD that I ever owned was given to me for Valentine's Day by my boyfriend during my Senior year of high school. It is a two-disc set, actually, of "Les Miserables" with the original London cast (including Colm Wilkinson as Jean Valjean and Patti LuPone as Fantine). I don't have any fond feelings for the guy who gave this to me anymore, but I still love the CDs. It was something I had wanted for a very long time, so I was very grateful. I guess he did some things right when we were dating!

*****

Erica made me a "wicked awesome CD mix" (her words!!) for me quite a while ago. I was very excited when I received this CD and couldn't wait to listen to it. But our stereo is quite old, so it is really picky about what burned discs it will play. No worries, I thought. I'll just listen to it in the car. However, Aiden has kind of taken over the van's stereo anytime we're in there together (and I'm rarely in the van by myself), so I hadn't had a chance to listen to it. Yesterday afternoon, however, I got my chance! Ches came home to watch the kids while I went to get my blood drawn and run some errands, so I took the CD. Alas, my van stereo kept saying "error" and spitting it back out to me. AAAHHHHH!!!! I will try the CD player on the computer, next. And if that doesn't work, I'll find the discman and try that. And if that doesn't work, well, Erica, you may just have to make me a new CD! :)

*****

Quote of the day:
"Let it be."
-- Paul McCartney

Note on this quote: I did a bit of complaining in my Random Friday, but I think that there are really better things in life to worry about than what the entertainment media says or thinks! So today's quote is really just for me as a reminder that something just don't matter, so just let it be. Or, as Dr. Taylor (one of my professors at Ricks) used to say:
"Get over it."

9 comments:

Lura said...

I wish I could come to your concert too. I miss going to concerts. I'm glad you're still playing. As much as I disliked the flute back in 5th grade, I wish I had even a little bit of the talent that you have.

I agree with you on the "belly bulge" thing. I like "pooch" much better. Even "baby belly" or the little "bump" sounds nicer to me.

Erica owes me a CD, too. Luckily, my car stereo takes what she burns (I know 'cause she made a CD for Jesse that I listen to) and Jago isn't old enough to take over the stereo yet.

Proud Mum said...

Taylor's quote was just what I needed to hear. Thanks.

hmmm, thinking about celebrity monikers I guess we would be Pauther (rhymes with "bother"). Hmmm.

Alyson said...

I don't know I kind of like "Sares". Kidding! I too can not stand the combo names. And the bulge. I thought there was a battle. Ok I'm getting out of hand.


Acceptable combos for Tim and I: Alim (if said with the right accent we sound exotic) and Timson (sound like Dim sum)

Philosophical Karen said...

I'm with you on the celebrity combos, but to be honest, I'm more of a "let it be" type, as you say. No opinion whatsoever on the belly. I guess I just always call it a "belly".

Also, it's great that you have continued to play the flute all this time and use the talent you went to school to develop.

ABQ Mom said...

Okay I'm a day late, but still have to put in my two cents. I hate the celebrity name combination jargin. DUMB. But if we were to do it ours would be Shana or Dane. Those are both real names...

I don't like "belly bulge" but I've never been a fan of "pooch" either. Theres got to be a better phrase.

Today was the actual day of celebration for Albuquerque's 300th birthday. Our concert band was asked to play. It was at a park so hubby and kidlets got to come. Hubby commented that we had a good group. My parents are so excited that I'm in a group again and that I've continued playing. I am like you, I wish my parents could come to a concert and see that I am still doing it.

Allrie said...

Thank you, Sariah, for wanting me to be there--you know I wish it were so...I am so glad you are still playing (unlike some--all--of you siblings I could, but won't grouse about! I am really pleased for you.

Please,belly? Pooch? What about baby?

And the burnt CD's work in our car--I know as E has made several for heself--my job is t change CD's when on long drives. She keeps the alphabetized or something, so it is retty easy to find whichever she wants.:D

terrierchica said...

Well...not quite alphabatized...actually now I am inspired to post. heehee
sariah that makes me sad you can't listen to it! that's really sad...it definitely worked in my car's player because I listened to it over break quite a bit. disappointing that now it won't work...

fourth_fret said...

i think we should all combine the early preggo words and call it...

you ready?...

heh...

bulooch.

you're welcome.

Allrie said...

What would we all do without FF?

That's some word!