Monday, April 17, 2006

Phone Call

The phone rang a few minutes ago. Like I do with most calls, I checked the caller ID to see if it was someone I know, or at least an area code I know. If the caller ID says "Unavailable" with no number, or if it is an unfamiliar area code, I let the machine pick it up. I figure that if someone actually wants to talk to us, then they can leave a message. If it is someone I actually like, I will pick up the phone as they are leaving the message and talk to them.

As I was saying, the phone rang a few minutes ago. I checked the caller ID, and there was actually a name AND a number. You know what the name said?

TONGA.

So... uh, what? The entire country of Tonga got on a conference call and decided, "Hey let's call Sariah's universe"? I didn't answer the phone because I don't speak Tongan, and I was afraid. So I let the machine get it. I guess Tonga doesn't like answering machines because no message was left.

I'm still wondering... who is Tonga? And why did Tonga call ME?

6 comments:

Philosophical Karen said...

Interesting questions...

Proud Mum said...

If the Kingdom of Tonga called you, or even a representative of Tonga, then I am more impressed than words.

terrierchica said...

Well, you know, sometimes it says a state name comes up on IDs, so maybe cause Tonga is wicked small that came up?
Or maybe it was the King of Tonga and he feels like he's important enough that's all the ID has to say?
Or maybe the USA outsourced some more jobs and it was a telemarketer?

Lura said...

I can't believe you didn't answer. I'm like you, if I don't know the person, they can leave a message. If I'm busy, they can leave a message. But to get that? I'd have answered just out of curiousity.

Allrie said...

Why did you bring it up if you have no answer? You've just peaked my curiosity. This is why I just answer the phone. If it is a telemarketer I politely tell tem no, but at least I would have known why Tonga called!

Incidently, the Tongan family I knew on my Mission not only spoke English quite well, but their surname was also Tonga. Paul Tonga to be specific. I rather doubt it was he, but perhaps something like that occured--check your ward list?

ABQ Mom said...

Okay I have to agree with Lura and Allrie. If TONGA showed up on my caller ID I would have answered just out of curiousity. And I wonder if possibly TONGA was the last name. But it is possible it could have been another outsourced telemarketer job. But alas because you didn't answer we'll never know. :-P