Friday, April 14, 2006

Random Friday

We were flipping through the channels the other day, and on (I believe) the E! network was a show titles "The 10 Secrets of Quick Hollywood Slimdowns". The premise of the show was to give us, as viewers, the chance to see how celebritites are able to get and stay soooooo thin.

Well, I don't need a show to tell me. And I don't think there are 10 secrets. Here are my observations:
1. Starve yourself.
2. Cut out all enjoyable foods in the entire world and eat really small portions of the yucky, bland foods, but insist that you love it and you feel great.
3. Smoke. You'll kill all your tastebuds, so then you won't notice that all you are eating is yucky, bland food and not enjoying food like a normal person.
4. Have a personal trainer that is at your house every single day and making you workout.
5. Work out at least 4 hours everyday with said personal trainer.
6. Stay out late drinking and partying (helps you to actually be unhealthy and lose weight, I think).
7. Have a personal clothes stylist, hair stylist, and makeup stylist that will always make you look good no matter where you are and where you go.

*****

I just got off the phone with a friend and she scheduled a Get Together for Creative Memories! I'm so excited!! (For those of you who don't know, I have recently become a Creative Memories consultant and am trying to get my little business off the ground). This is my first definite yes. Now I'm a little nervous, but that's okay. Yay for me! :)

*****

First quote of the day (yes, today we get two):
If there's anything that can match the heights of mother-love, it's the depths of mother-guilt.
--From and essay by Katherine Lee in the collection The Imperfect Mom

*****

Dallin laughed at something on TV this morning. I think it was the first time he out-right laughed at something on TV. We were watching The Big Big World on PBS and the two little marmasets were hopping around making a lot of funny monkey noises. He just laughed and laughed at that. It was the cutest thing to see.

*****

Aunt Marisa mentioned recently that I should write a book called "The Wit and Wisdom of Aiden". Her favorite Aiden quote? "When we are llamas, we will eat grass."

Talking to a friend of mine this morning I think it's not just Aiden. It's three-year-olds. I mean, take FeatherSky's son, Jaedin. Still loving the whole hippo comment in church. Or ABQ's son, W. I can't get over the hot dog comment! So maybe I will write a book with the title Aunt Marisa suggested, but it will actually be a compilation of all the three year olds I know (or have known). Hmmmm. I should think about this some more. I've always wanted to write a book. This could be a good start! You know, a sort of "Kids Say the Darndest Things" for the new millenium.

*****

I had a dream last night that I was on a plane (I don't know where I was travelling) and some old friends that I haven't seen in over 10 years were on the plane. We hung out, then some of us drove to New York City (my first time!) and we weren't there literally five minutes before we ran into some of out other old friends that live in NYC now. So then I got to hang out with them, too.

That would have been cool.

*****

Tomorrow the replacements come for my BIL's unit in Iraq. That means only a few more weeks until he is home in the States with my sister and their son. How exciting is THAT??

****

One of my favorite songs that I have on my mp3 player is "I Miss You" by Incubus. Except for the one line with the blaring F-Word (no, I don't have the edited version of this song... obviously), I just love this song. It's so beautiful. It makes me think of when you are first in love with someone and it's the first time you spend anytime actually apart.

Ches and I had been married over a year before either of us went away overnight. I spent a weekend in Virginia, visiting my parents. It really wasn't that long of a time, but I couldn't believe how much I missed him. I didn't sleep well at ALL, and it was weird to not hear his snoring. Who would think that I would miss his snoring? But now, anytime he is gone overnight, I can't sleep because I can't hear his snoring or at least his loud breathing.

****

Second Quote of the Day:
The way to know life is to look at many things.
--Vincent Van Gogh

7 comments:

fourth_fret said...

i think aiden's "llama" quote would be a great title for a childrens book.

about llamas. that eat grass. and maybe other animals, too that eat... um, whatever they eat.

i love that quote!

Philosophical Karen said...

That snoring bit reminds me of a sad story my widowed mother-in-law tells. She says that when she was much younger, she used to complain to her husband about his snoring, and his reply was, "Someday, you will miss my snoring." And she does.

Thankfully, you are not one to complain, as she was. Quite the opposite, it sounds like.

Allrie said...

"My friend, Gretchen's" son --now recently turned four has some great quotes she's sent to me. I think you should begin to gather the material...in fact, I have a few from you kids...like the time I caught Vin outside with his friends with the axe--trying to chop down the big tree in the front of our two houses--they were trying to help the squirrels to reach the nuts easier. :D Definitely...3 yr olds...

And that first night in VA, you didn't sleep well, not for missing Ches (sorry, Ches) but because you and I lay in my bed and talked all night! Poor vacated Dad didn't sleep so well that night either.

But I know what you mean...you should try being in a motel room with this line-up: me, Dad, Jesse, Richard, Erica. Pity poor E, the only one NOT snoring! It sure was loud in there. :)

Lura said...

I remember when you were visiting me during mother's week at Ricks and you stayed with me and Ches stayed at my friend's apartment. You said it was really weird not having him there. I didn't really understand then, now I do.

You should definitly write that book. It'd be great!

terrierchica said...

Smoking doesn't necessarily kill tastebuds, but it gives you something to do. I mean, how many times have you been bored and grabbed a snack? Smokers just grab a cigarette instead. Like snacking, minus the calories.

Sariah said...

Smoking, erica, isn't just "something to do". It is an highly addictive habit with horrible consequences, including cancer and death. Many people who smoke may say it's just something to do with their hands, but if they try to quit they find it is so much more. And it is a fact that smoking does kill tastebuds and help with loss of appetite. There are TONS of women out there who don't give up smoking simply because they are afraid to gain weight. (I even saw a commercial recently for some gum that still gives you the nicotine and is targeted for women who don't want to gain weight because of quiting smoking).

Allrie said...

My mother smoked sporadically when she was young. Of course, basically everyone smoke back then--her father was a chain smoker. She said she only smoked when shereally didn't knowe what else to do with her hands. I, on the other hand, could NEVER have smoked for that reason--how could I smoke and talk at the same time? Even before I was paralzed...Think about it, I do not talk just with my mouth. So how do other Italians smoke? How big a problem is smoking in Italy or in Italian neighborhoods?

Besides, who would want to kill off tastebuds and not be able to tast the terrific Italian food? Not I.

And kissing someone who's been smoking. Ugh!

Worry beads--if you want something to do with your hands and you don't use them for talking...