Friday, November 03, 2006

Friday Friday Friday!!!

Yes folks, it is Friday. I have gotten confused every single day this week as to what day it was, and even today I was unsure. But now that I have it in my head, I am SO hapy for it to be Friday! Friday means tomorrow is Saturday. Saturday means Mr. Universe doesn't have to go to work, so we get to hang out. Saturday means we get housework and yardwork done, and we get ready for Sunday. Sunday means after the stress of getting to church on time (which never happens anymore), we have a relaxing day of rest, peace, learning, and worship.

Then Sunday evening comes and we start to think about Monday, and I don't want to think about Monday yet, so I will stick to the issue at hand which is...

FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY!!!

*****

Driving home from Wal-Mart the other day I saw a school bus which looks a lot different than what I normally see. Usually I see the standard "Blue Bird" model. I remember when that was the "new" kind when I was in high school. We always wanted the Blue Birds for our band trips. They were bigger and roomier and just plain looked nicer. However, if the football team had something going on, you can believe we didn't get the Blue Birds. We got the old, crappy busses. Oh well. We had an awesome semi-trailer for band (named Big Bertha, pronounced Big Berfa) and the football team didn't have that. I wonder if I can find a picture of Big Bertha.

So anyway... this bus I saw the other day...

It looked like a huge, pimped out kind of bus. It had a fancy black top, looked like it sat higher than the Blue Bird, had a deeper yellow with black trim, and just plain looked awesome. Anyone else seen the tricked out school bus in their district?

*****

We went Trick-or-Treating Tuesday night, with just small success. Most houses in our neighborhood didn't have their lights on. It was pretty disapointing to be out walking for an hour and get so little candy.

The first house we went to (about three houses down from us) gave the kids cans of Pepsi. I drank Aiden's Pepsi yesterday, and I have to say that I don't like Pepsi. Yuck. I mean, I'm not a big pop drinker anyway, but colas just aren't that great to me. I can handle a Coke every now and then, but I prefer Dr. Pepper. Or Vanilla Coke. If I'm going to drink pop, it's usually Sprite or Dr. Pepper. I remember liking the Pepsi One when it came out while I was in college (some promo people were passing them out on campus, so I drank a few... I didn't hate Pepsi back then). I wonder what happened. Anyway... I don't like Pepsi anymore.

*****

Being the reality TV junkies that we are (okay, so actually I'm the one who watches all the crazy little reality shows like Laguna Beach or My Super Sweet Sixteen), we have been following Survivor quite religiously since the very first season. We only dropped out during the third season (Africa) because it was so flippin' aweful. B-o-r-i-n-g! We started up with Season 4 again.

This season there is a contestant name Parvati. Being a Harry Potter fan, I immediately recognized the name. However, in the wizarding world, the name is pronounced Par-VAH-tee, and on the Survivor island it is pronounced PAR-vuh-tee. It bugged me for the longest time, but now I'm used to it. Except every now and then it sounds like someone is calling her Poverty.

*****

Dallin is becoming quite a little talker. He is learning how to put sentences together. When we were at the park yesterday and on a walk today, he loved to point and say, "Look! Clouds." or "Look! A tree." I'm also impressed at his usage of the word "I". He uses it correctly! He says things like, "I cry" and "I fall". When he dumped a bunch of food off the tray of his booster seat, he said, "I mess." He is identifying more and more things, and you can tell he is proud to show off all the words he now knows. He's very good at pointing things out to us. A crayon. A bird. Grass. Aiden. Parker sleeping, sssssshhhhhhhh.

*****

I am currently reading Teacher Man by Frank McCourt (who also wrote Angela's Ashes and 'Tis). It's really good. It's all about his years teaching in New York City. I love how honest he is about everything. He acts as if he never had a clue of what to do and how to handle the kids. These were not easy kids he had to teach, either. This is a story about a teacher and his experience in the classroom, and it's real story. There's no real feel-good moment like in Mr. Holland's Opus or something (which yes, I know is a movie, but I'm making a comparison of the story, not the method in which the story is told). This is what it's really like to be a teacher in the city in the US. His narrative is like it's straight from his head, not a carefully planned out scripts of "and then she said...". I highly recommend this book... if you don't mind a bit of swearing. There's plenty of that.

*****

I downloaded a new Barenaked Ladies song yesterday. It's from their new album, Barenaked Ladies are Me. The song is called "Maybe You're Right". I like it a lot. This album in general seems more mellow and less, I don't know, "schizo" than past albums. I love their high energy songs, but this doesn't have that. It's being described as more mature, and I guess that it. Anyway, it seems like a good album over all.

Erica got to see BNL the other night. I'm insanely jealous. That was her second time to see them in concert, and it was her second concert of the semester (she got to see the Rolling Stones earlier this semester). I have neber been to a rock concert. Ever. I want to go! BNL will be here in December, but we don't have money to go. Erica said she is going to sell her plasma or blood or something and give me the $50 so Ches and I can go. Even though tickets start at $35. She said I'll just have to buy them form a sclaper, like she did. She got a $60 ticket for $20, she said. Lucky.

*****

I've decided to make myself a t-shirt with this slogan on it:

Yes, I have my hands full.
Thanks for noticing.

7 comments:

Proud Mum said...

You make me laugh so much by the time the comment page loads I forget what I was going to say.

Happy Friday!

I feel your pain on missing BNL. When I was 14 and still mad that we had to move to some forsaken land the kids from church comforted me by saying, "this place isn't so bad, BNL are coming next month!" Well, if anything could get me out of my teen angst it would be that! Alas they were sold out, of course, and I had to work through my funk the same way every other teenager does -- the hard way.

I have only attended one rock concert in my life. It wasn't at a fancy hall or anything glamourous, it was in the part of DC you only visit with purpose (and with men) -- incidently near Duke Ellington's E Street. The group was a reuinion gig of Camper Van Beethoven.

As for scalpers, my husband has some great connections for getting good/cheap tickets for the sporting events around LA. That doesn't help you right now, but it is meant to be hopeful for the future. Oh, and it isn't scalping and isn't illegal if:
a) the exchange of tickets and money doesn't happen on the grounds
AND
b) you pay less than ticket price

Well, that's the law in California, anyway.

I hope you can go!

Proud Mum said...

I should have just written my own post -- sorry for the novella!

Laural said...

I'm with proud mum on the laughing bit. Both of you guys have such a way of writing that makes it so real. Thanks, you make my days happy!

terrierchica said...

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sariah, your post actually made me cringe. Cringe, I tell you!

Please tell me you don't actually use the word "pop." Pop is a sound, or an action, NOT a drink! The drink is soda! Not pop! Ahhhhh! I'm totally keeping my blood if you say pop. So there. :-P

Oh, and BNL had a bunch of new songs that were really energetic, too. They were the ones I liked more. Did I mention that during one song, they all (and I mean, ALL) got up and made fun of NSYNC's dance? And then later, they did a fight like in West Side Story, with the finger-snapping and everything. It was great.

Alyson said...

Erica,

POpOpOpoPoPopOpoPopopopopop! Maybe Ches is rubbing off on her?

Sariah,

ParVAHtee you are more like Erica than you think.

Sariah said...

I so glad I make so many of you laugh. Really. As long as it's a laughing WITH me, not AT me sort of thing. That's all. :D

Erica, pop is short for soda pop. So there. It just all depends on where you live. At least we're not still in the south where EVERYTHING is called a Coke. Do you know how confusing that got, working at a movie theatre?? "Yes, I'd like a popcorn and a large Coke please." [I hand the customer their order] "What IS this?? I wanted Root beer! Not Coca Cola!" I learned to start asking, "What kind of Coke would you like?" "Oh, how about orange soda?" Aaaaaaalllll righty then.

Alyson, I still think it should be ParVAHtee, but now I'm used to PARvuhtee. That's all. And yeah, I'm sure Erica and I are a lot more alike than either of us would ever admit, especially out loud. Heh.

April_Mommy said...

Man that would drive me crazy Sariah! Coke is coke, root beer is root beer, sprite is sprite... Evil people I tell you!

Oh, and my hubby has a hard time with people calling it "Pop" as well. I have changed and now call it "soda"...