Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Is That A Mark On Your Forehead, Or Are You Just Happy To See Me?

It was Labor Day weekend, 1997. Ches had taken me to Calgary to meet his family. (Perhaps I should spell it Labour Day then??) We had been dating for about 6 months, and in that short time I knew I wanted to marry this man. So I wanted to make a good impression on what I hoped would be my future in-laws. Ches' mother was able to get us discount tickets so we went with Ches' parents, brother, Tim, Tim's then-girlfriend Alyson, and their little sister, Rachel to go up the Calgary Tower to the observation deck.

Previously in the summer, the extended family had their annual family reunion up in Calgary, and this was one of the places many people had visited.

It was quite a view up there. It was a perfect day, to be sure. You could see really far. We were having a great time together, all of us telling jokes and stories. Tim and Ches were telling us about the family reunion as we took in the view.

"Remember when we came up here in June? LaDawn leaned over and smacked her forehead right against the window! It was sooo funny!!"

It was at that moment that I leaned out a bit, and I smacked my forehead against the window. Ow.

"Yeah! Just like that!" Tim exclaimed. It took him (and Ches) a moment to realize I didn't do that on purpose. Everyone had a great time laughing at me.

The window was slanted out, and it's actually really hard to tell exactly where the window is! Honest!

Several minutes later, Tim and Alyson were talking about it, and Alyson smacked her forehead on the window! A few minutes after that, I did it again! Oh, the laughter. I was pretty embarrassed, but glad that Alyson did it, too. I didn't feel quite as stupid.

To be fair (to Alyson, LaDawn, and myself), there were a lot of marks on the windows. I doubt we are the only ones to smack our foreheads on the windows of the Calgary Tower.

*****

We were reminded of this story tonight as I was looking out the patio doors tonight. We have the sliding glass doors, and I was looking for a toy on the patio. Somehow, I leaned in and smacked my forehead on the door. Hard.

Ches laughed and said, "It's not even slanted! How did you do that?"

I can't believe I actually did that. And now I have a small headache.

9 comments:

Proud Mum said...

Too much windex?

Philosophical Karen said...

The birds in the yard are starting to fly *smack* into my windows again. Looks like I'll have to get out the construction paper and cut silhouettes again. By the way, if reflection is the problem, BLACK silhouettes do not work. You need to use red or orange. (Just in case you ever have the same problem with the birds.)

But for you, any colour would work I guess.

Or not. ;-)

ABQ Mom said...

I've had birds fly into my windows, and my dog has run into the window too. He thought the door was open. I'm sure that if I were at the Calgary Tower I would have smacked my forehead on the glass too. :-)

Kris said...

When I was little I tried to run through two mirrored posts at a department store...they had put up plexiglass between the pillars to prevent just that thing...imagine going full throttle at something at banging into it...hehe.

K.

Lura said...

Hehehehahaha,
Oh, Sariah, you make me laugh so much. How's your forehead feeling?

Allrie said...

Sariah, um, uh, how do I put this? Remember Grandma's sliding glass door and how she had window stickers on there. She said it was for birds...but they went up after you ran into the door.

I love you...

themadhatter said...

I have to admit, I laughed out loud reading this. As soon as you said Calgary Tower I knew what story it was. Mr. Universe's comment is impressive to remember the story so quickly. You need to come check out the new addition. They have a glass platform you can stand out on and look down at 9th Avenue. Haven't been there yet, but I am looking forward to it.
For you laughing pleasure, what if there was no glass.

Alyson said...

At least you have Patio doors to smack your head on.

Sariah said...

Alyson, move your butt down here already! I'll get you patio doors. There's one 2 houses down for us... and the patio doors look out to a very large backyard WITH a pool. I'm just sayin'...