Monday, November 20, 2006

Random Friday

Yes, I know I'm writing this on Sunday, and really it's only going to be Sunday for one more minute, so maybe this will show up as Monday. But that helps this become more of a Random Friday, right? Because it's random. You expected it on Friday, and instead you get it now. It's random.

Justification works sometimes.

*****

I am sending out Christmas cards this year. I don't get to it every year, but I'm bound and determined to do it this year. SO... email me your addresses, my friends. You are on my list. If you are family, well, 10 bucks says I already have your address. If I don't, I'll call you.

Included in the Christmas card may or may not be a family picture (depends on if I can get all of us to look decent and sit still long enough for the timer to go off on the camera!), and will most likely have the Dreaded Yearly Update Letter.

I know most people complain about these letters and how they just brag and brag. However, I actually enjoy reading them from other people. Yes, I do get a bit envious at other people's lives, but I enjoy knowing about the good things in their lives. I enjoy hearing that little Bobby Joe was on the honor roll for the third year in a row as well as achieving a record number of Boy Scout badges and winning the little elementary school track meet. Really I do. Because I know I am sending YOU a letter bragging about Aiden's amazing reading skills, Dallin's amazing verbal skills, and Parker's amazing head-lifting and smiling skills. We all take pride in our kids. It's allowed.

Of course, all of you already know what's been going on because you read this blog. So you can toss the letter and just enjoy the card and (maybe) the picture.

*****

When I was in college, I started dying my hair dark colors (because I think the natural color of my hair is just a plain, boring brown with nothing to it). Mostly I went with a dark auburn, but sometimes just a dark brown. I really like the red in my hair, but it doesn't look very natural on me if I go too carrot-y. So I stick with the auburn. I would often get compliments and, in the same breath, I was asked, "Is that your natural color?"

I wondered how much of a compliment it really is when people are questioning you on something as personal as your natural hair color. I could be wrong about that. It may not be personal at all.

Anyway, so they would compliment and ask, and I would answer with, "It's the color I was born with!"

Hey, it was honest! I was born with lots and lots of dark, auburn hair. When I was a preschooler it was bleach blonde. It went to a mousey brown in elementary school, and that's pretty much where it stayed. Although when I got my hair cut this summer and the blonde highlights were finally all cut out, I found my mousey brown hair had gotten darker. I like it darker. But it was still a boring brown.

Last week I got my hair trimmed a bit (got rid of most of the layers that were growing out horribly, so now it's slightly layered and more of a long-ish bob) and colored. It is a dark auburn again, and I love it.

Sure enough, I have gotten many compliments and questions: "I love your hair! It's so pretty! Is that your natural color?"

I'm back to my standby answer. "It's the color I was born with."

*****

Christmas is approaching. Which means... my birthday is coming! Do you know how old I'm gonna be this year? Thirty. That's right. The big 3-0. Will I now finally be treated more as an adult? Not some twenty-something punk who doesn't know what being an adult really is? Not some teenager who has yet to grow up? I doubt it. Because they are saying things about how people live longer, and 40 is the new 25 or something. Who is "they" anyway? Where do we get these things from?

So anyway, I guess I'm still just a kid. Or, as Ches likes to say, a spring chicken. Or maybe he says chick. I haven't heard him use the phrase in a few years, so I suddenly don't remember.

I should delete that last paragraph because that is just verbal vomit.

*****

I'm trying so hard to get Eragon read for the Book Club, but things just keep happening at our house! I pick up the book and seriously only read abouttwo paragraphs when Parker needs a diaper change. Or Aiden is screaming at Dallin to get off his bed and go away. Or the phone rings with a call for Haseem Muhommad yet again. I am normally a freakishly fast reader, but I just can't seem to get this thing read. Hopefully in the next couple of days it will get better. Because I'm actually starting to enjoy it. I wasn't sure what to expect because it's fantasy, and that isn't normally what I enjoy reading. That's Ches' thing. However, if it's a well-written, just plain good plot, I'll read anything.

*****

It got up to 88 degrees today. Yes, you read that right. 88. Eighty-freaking-eight. Thanksgiving is this week, and I'm still wearing shorts and sandals. Crazy go nuts.

*****

Parker is such a happy baby. He smiles a lot now. I mean, he smiles a LOT. And it's postitively adorable. My boys have inherited their father's extremely long and beautiful eyelashes (yes, you are allowed to complain about the fairness of all these males getting such great eyelashes). As babies, whenever they would smile I would notice the same thing that is happening now with Parker. I swear that when Parker smiles, his eyelashes grow an inch. It's just beautiful. Also, his whole face lights up, and you can't help but smile back at the wide open grin he has. I think he's going to have dimples, like his brothers. SO CUTE.

I have to say, Ches and I make the cutest, most adorable babies in the entire world, hands down.

*****

Quote of the day:
We are often mistaken about art. Art is not emotion. Art is the medium in which emotion is expressed.
--Nadia Boulanger (1887-1979)

8 comments:

Thérèse said...

OH!

OH OH O HO HOHOHOHOHOH!!

(that's a lot of "ho ho"s backwards)

Can I be on your Christmas list too??? I totally want to be on your Christmas list! And, AND! I want to put you on mine. WOO HOO! I love Christmas cards.

And I have to say that I am fascinated by the idea of a family update newsletter sort of thing. Maybe I should write one for my family this year. Hmmm....


Also, I say go on sister friend. Tell them it's natural. No one says you have to come clean on that. ;)

I love it. Parker's Amazing Head Lifting and Smiling Skills. That sounds like a book, you know. ;)

Thérèse said...

PS. Love the new layout. LOVE.

Sariah said...

Therese - Just email me your address, and you'll get a card! Yay! And I'll send you MY address so you can send me a card. Yay! I looooooove Christmas.

Proud Mum said...

Happy Random Friday Monday!

(my address is in the fbi database... let me know if you can't access that and I'll email it to you.)

I hear you on the heat. Every day I dress us in jeans and long sleeves, and by noon we're either undressed or changed altogether. We've broken records every week this month. Enough is enough!

ABQ Mom said...

I love sending out christmas cards. Proud Mum has held me up to some sort of level that I hope I can meet this year and years to come. I did the family update letter once, it was a lot of work and I just didn't want to do it again. I would love to send a family picture out with my christmas cards but as of yet that has never happened. P.S. close to christmas means close to my birthday too!

People are constantly asking if my hair is my natural hair color. Yes I do dye it (to hide the grays), but it's darkest brown so that when it grows out it matches my natural color. When they ask if it's my natural hair color I just point at my eyebrows.

I always loved Thanksgiving in Arizona...

ABQ Mom said...

Oh and P.S. People have told me "if for no other reason you and Shane were supposed to get together because you have the most beautiful babies." ;-)

April_Mommy said...

I get up each morning and start a fire in our stove... then by afternoon I throw the doors and windows open because it is way too hot! uggg.

The funniest thing that was said to "us" before we were married was actually to Sultry Husband and not to me by his grandmother. "I am glad that you are getting married because people like you make good babies." I still laugh at that one :-)

I will also email my address! Christmas Rocks!

FeatherSky said...

I've been FREEZING out here (man, my blood has gone thin!). I'm looking forward to a 65^ Thanksgiving :)

I emailed you my address! Email me yours too!

I *LOVE* to get Xmas update letters. I love hearing about everyone's families and I LOVE photos of families!! So I always mail out an update every year (part of that is cuz we move just about every year and non-email people can get our new address that way!!). I can't wait to read yours!