Thursday, September 08, 2005

Setting the Record Straight

Seriously, if I have to take one more joke about this, I'm going to rip somebody's head off and beat it with a large stick.

Mormons are NOT polygamists. Yes, polygamy was once practiced in the Church, but that was abolished forever ago. Yes, there are still polygamists in Utah (among other places), but they are NOT members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. If you are LDS and practice polygamy, then you are excommunicated.

I know it seems really funny to tease the Mormon girl with all your little polygamy jokes, but it just shows your horrible sense of humor and your complete ignorance on the matter. All my life I have had to deal with friends and family members belittle me because of my religion, and I'm tired of it. Sometimes it's a joke, sometimes it's a rude comment, sometimes it's full on scorn and contempt. Get over it and let me be religious! Let me have my faith! Let me be LDS without being sterotyped!

I happen to love my religion, and I don't see your little jokes as a way to get on my good side or become my friend. It's old. I'm not going to start teasing you because you're bald, or fat, or have no formal education, or you're just mean to most people (but don't seem to realize it).

I'm not getting my words out very well right now. I'm just sick and tired of having to take jokes about my religion, of having to smile along because you think it's funny to ridicule someone else. That's all for now.

6 comments:

Alyson said...

Then there are those people (LDS people) who purpetuate the rumor because they to are tired of defending. My sister got so tired of it that she finally told her friend in highschool that we are all taught to share and they sould come to the youth dances and check it out.

I also have a neighbour who misled someone at a garage sale 2 years ago. This guy was making comments about LDS people and so to get him off his back he perpetuated the polygamy misunderstanding. It worked he never heard from him again.

Philosophical Karen said...

At least you have your own religion and it brings you comfort. You should be able to draw strength from that. (After you get through being justifiably mad at the bozos, of course.)

April_Mommy said...

Ouch! Bad day Sariah? Give us the details my dear! Perhaps we can help?

fourth_fret said...

As you might have gleaned from my blog, my first inclination is to make a joke... but since it is my first post here, I will refrain and attempt to appear partially intelligent. But not totally because that goes against everything I know. ;)

Sorry people who are ignorant are getting to you. But do try to remember, they are ignorant- that's not even a dig at them. We always mock what we don't know for fear it will change us. And it will... as soon as we learn about it. You know?

FeatherSky said...

"Those who danced were thought to be crazy by those who couldn't hear the music."

People like to generalize things that they don't understand (hence many Americans think that all Muslims are crazy gun carrying terrorists, and all Mormons belong to a crazy polygamist cult.) Like everyone else has said, ignorance is ignorance, as irritating as it may be.

sooray said...

Actually there are more than 30,000 plural marriage households in the Jello Belt (who consider themselves fundamentalist LDS). While the main LDS church (and most of its members) condemn this lifestyle, it is generally tolerated by law enforcement (there is a town in southern Utah which consists mainly of these families) unless it is flaunted (like that idiot prosecuted a few years ago). While it is not approved of by the mainstream, it is hardly a thing of the past.
BTW, there are tens of thousands of polyamory households around the US with no association to the LDS church.