Saturday, November 05, 2005

A New Language

I promised Julia that I would write stories about her husband Paul. Paul and I became friends while at Ricks College in the mid- to late-'90's. He is a funny guy. We could joke around easily a just plain goof off at the drop of a hat. He was engaged to my best friend for a while, and when they broke it off my friend ended up really hurt for quite a while. There was a lot of pain for the both of them. It worked out, though, because Paul and Julia got back together, and Laural met the best guy in the world (even if he *is* taking her away from me to Chicago!!) and now they are married with 2 beautiful children. So anyways... I just wanted to explain how Paul and I know each other. Not bring up all this old history! The point of it all is that we were really good friends, but kind of went out seperate ways (mainly, I think, because Ches and I are such good friends with Laural. Ches treats her like a little sister and is very protective of her, so when she is hurt, he takes it a little personally. It's a really sweet quality he has.). Now that we have this alumni group, Julia and I have become correspondants of sorts, and now she has joined us "cool kids" by having a blog! I promised her some stories of Paul, so I'll start with this one:

It was Fall, 1997. Paul took a weekend to drive me down from Idaho to Salt Lake to pick up my stuff that was in storage at another friends' house for the summer. We also went to visit some old friends and Paul's brother down in Provo. It is about 4 hours from Rexburg to Provo (if I remember correctly), and Paul and I get bored easily, so we had to keep ourselves quite entertained in the truck. We were playing the normal kid car games (the alphabet game, liscence plates, he taught me "horse, horse, bury your horse", and I taught him "cop car", which my brother and sister and I made up when we were little). We sang along to cheesey music in the car ("Saturday's Warrior", if you must know) and had a lot of fun conversations. This next part comes straight out of my journal from that time:

For some odd reason, whenever we spoke, we would use the "s" sound whenever there was a "t" or "th", and put the "th" sound wherever there was an "s". We were getting pretty good, so we started to sing "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall", which sounded more like this: "Ninesy-nine bosselth of beer on se wall; ninesy-nine bosselth of beer! Sake one down, path is around, ninesy-ace bosselth of beer on se wall." We got into the 60's, and got back to Rexburg.

The funniest part of all is that for the rest of the semester, Paul and I used our new language on each other, and everyone else just looked at us. Ches would shake his head and I know he was thinking , "What is with this girl? Do I really want to marry her? She's so wierd."

I think he still thinks that today.

So, okay, it wasn't that funny of a story for all of you, but it is a funny memory for me, and if Julia tells Paul about it, I guarantee he'll get a good laugh in remembrance! Oh, and Julia, ask Paul about the U *heart* Paul truck, and see what he remembers.

3 comments:

fourth_fret said...

heh. that version sounds like everybody has been throwing back a few too many. ;)

several friends and i had a language called "sweiwd"... had had to do with changing all l's and r's to w. (the name was a combination of silly and weird. it was quite siwwy actuawwy. and weiwd.)

it got kinda confusing, but it entertained us during english.

Philosophical Karen said...

Sariah, this goes back to a comment you made on my blog a little while ago, so it's nothing to do with your current blog post, sorry...

What part of Nevada are you in? Mike and I visited Las Vegas in June and we were just wondering how close we actually got to you, without knowing.

ABQ Mom said...

I never realized the weird connections between you all. Now I do. The only funny Paul story I have involves a road trip with him too. He gave me a ride back to Washington over April conference weekend. He was on his way to portland. That was an eventful trip!