Thursday, November 17, 2005

Passion Party

As many of you know, I was able to attend my first "passion party" last night. A passion party is like a Tupperware or Mary Kay party, but the products are lotions, lingerie, and what I like to call "devices". I'm hesitant to type a lot of these words here, not because my mom is reading this or anything, but because I just don't want people doing a search under one of these words, finding my blog, and then who knows what kind of readers and comments I'll get! So, you'll understand if I'm a little vague, right?

On to the party! I was invited by the mom (D) of a girl (B) who was in the band that I work with last year. B is now a college freshman, and in the university bands that Ches works with. (Clear as mud yet??) B's boyfriend was a model at a bridal fair here in town, so B went to support him. She was checking out all these booths, and everyone would ask her when the big day is, so she started to make up names and dates and wedding details. At one booth, she found a perfume that she really liked. The sales lady said she could have it for free if she hosted a party, so B said "You bet!" She then said to her mom, "Invite whoever you want." D was at a football game a couple of weeks ago (she has another daughter still in high school), and was telling the band boosters about this, and all of us women were invited. B didn't really want a lot of the college kids to know about this, so she said she was only inviting all the lesbians in marching band. She invited some close friends, however, and it got to be a bigger group than what you would think. So picture this: crammed into a small living room is D, another older lady (I say older, but I mean late 40's. Compared to all these college freshman, that is older) that D works with, another band mom, several lesbians, several gay men, some couples, and me -- the straight, conservative, young married, Mormon girl. I just knew this was going to be a riot!

The presentation included some language that I don't usually use (Ches and I are pretty private about sex), but it wasn't that bad. There were a LOT of lotions that smelled really yummy, felt great, and tasted really yummy, too. There was glow in the dark stuff, sparkly stuff, warming up stuff, and even this stuff that smells different on each person. It mixes with your body's chemicals so you get your own smell. Mine was a really light, fresh and airy smell. D smelled more like peppermint, and the other band mom was a very distinct bubblegum. That was cool. I got this one kind of lotion that smells like mandarin orange. We got to try it as if it were chapstick or something. I liked it so much I decided that even if Ches and I never use it, I'll have this really cool, tingly, yummy chapstick! :)

After the lotions, we were shown some lingerie, but there really wasn't much of that. I saw a couple of cute things, and maybe I'll order those later. When we have some more money (our car broke down again, so money is extra tight right now). That did not take long. Then out came the books (I wasn't even interested! With titles like "Tickle his Pickle"... yeah. So not me!) and the toys. I refused to touch the toys and devices. Most of the stuff I didn't know what they were for! I couldn't believe it! People actually USE this stuff? EW!!!!

Overall, it was quite educating and interesting. Interesting is the key word. There were a lot of good laughs, and I wish it had been more, I don't know, classy? I saw something on the Today show (the very morning I was first told about this party) about these bedroom parties, and it didn't really look like this. Oh, well. It was still fun, and I did buy a couple of things, including "spicy dice". Hee hee. I told Ches, "We keep saying we need more games for two people!" The best was that all these freshman are in music, and they all know Ches, but they didn't know me. Comments like, "That's Ches' wife??" were heard (what does that mean, anyway? Is that good or bad?), and some said they were going to make up stories about me at the party to tell Ches later. Since I got home at 11:30 p.m., Ches was sound asleep, and he got up and left before I woke up, so I never got a chance to tell him about the party. I was curious if they would be able to make up a story that he would believe!

Best part of the night: at the end they had some drawings and I was one of the first winners. Which meant I won a pretty rose that when you open it up, there is a really pretty pair of panties for me to wear! I was glad to get that because everyone who won after me got a little pencil eraser that is shaped like a penis.

6 comments:

Proud Mum said...

You got REALLY lucky. My friend went to one a couple of years ago and the giveaways for that were ... um, not things you would be interested in having in your home.

You're right, if only there was a way to make bedroom stuff classy; that would be a cool party.

terrierchica said...

must....stop....laughing....

...

...

Okay, I can breathe again. That amuses me beyond belief that you went. But I'm proud of you, Sariah! It's good to experience different aspects of culture, which doesn't mean you have to participate, but just observe. You took an anthropological look at things! And it sounds like for the "conservative mormon [etc] girl" you had a fairly open mind. Very anthropological of you!

The funny thing is, you post this the day after my good friend Margo and her roommate and I were having a discussion about all the gay/lesbian stuff that goes on in Boston. Her roommate is a transfer from the local lesbian school (Wellsley) pretty much because she got scared away. But Margo and I really don't know much of that aspect of culture, and were talking about going to a Wellsley function just to see what goes on. I want to do it more as an anthropology project, and Margo just hasn't looked at culture from different viewpoints before. But now we can follow in your footsteps, and not be afraid! Go Sariah!

ABQ Mom said...

wow, I'm sure that was way more educational that you would have liked. I am embarrass really easily, I would not have done well there...

Philosophical Karen said...

And all of this just because somebody wanted a free bottle of perfume.

The mind boggles.

fourth_fret said...

heh. i have lots to say, but i'm gonna behave and not make a scene. i am curious though, if any stories did get back to your husband, made up or not! :D

Kris said...

I would have taken the penis shaped thing...just to put it in my mother's stocking this year and laugh my butt off. I went to one of those too...it was actually kind of fun...*wink*

K.