Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Nothingness, Lt. Dan, Library Books and the Grossest Thing EVER!

So, really, I have nothing to write about. Well, I do, but it's nothing interesting. I feel in a wierd funk again and I want to be interesting and witty and funny, but just can't find it in me. My blog is lacking, but I don't know how to fix it. It's not even that interesting to me. So, I'm sorry you have to read this crap. Oh wait, you don't. You can just leave this page if you want and read something worthwhile (I strongly recommend Karen or Fourth Fret. Karen is super smart and interesting, and Fourth Fret is probably about the funniest person ever.).

I was watching the Today Show this morning and saw something about Gary Sinese. He goes to Iraq a lot and entertains the troops by plaing in the band called "Lt. Dan's Band". He also works with the Special Ops troops and helps deliver things like school supplies to Iraqi children. He was talking about what good is going on in Iraq. All you hear about is this car bomb and that car bomb and this many people have been killed, etc. You never get to hear about what GOOD is happening over there, and there is a LOT of that. Gary Sinese also keeps in close contact with the special ops troops and others so tha he may hear about these good things that are happening and hopefully spread the news.

My brother-in-law, Jesse, is serving in Iraq right now, and I just want to let him and his fellow soldiers know that I personally really appreciate what they are doing. Jesse is giving up the first couple years of his married life to my sister, Lura, and the first part of his new son's life as well as school and work in order to fight for the freedom and priveleges that we enjoy in this country in another country. Not all people in Iraq are appreciative, but there are many who are. Yes, war sucks. Yes, I wish we weren't in a war, and yes, I wish Jesse could be in San Diego with his family right now. HOWEVER, that is not the case. We are in a war and Jesse is in Iraq. So, thank you Jesse. Thank you Gary Sinese for supporting the soldiers and helping out with more than just a big button that says he supports the troops.

So, on to the library. Tuesday is library day in our house. We go to story time and generally make a lot of noise and trouble there (Aiden loves the library, but doesn't quite understand that you have to be quiet there). I got new books today: "Lady Chatterly's Lover" by D.H. Lawrence and "Postcards" by E. Annie Proulx (she also wrote "The Shipping News", and while I haven't read the book, I enjoyed the movie and I tend to like the books more than the movies, except in the case of "Forrest Gump". I loved that movie and HATED the book.). I was also able to borrow the first 3 episodes of the documentary "Jazz" by Ken Burns on DVD for Ches (I was going to borrow all at once, but thought 3 weeks wasn't enough time to watch them all when Ches has school, work, homework, and practicing to do). I want to buy him "Jazz", but the cheapest I can find it is $200, so that's not happening for a while. Someday.

Okay, so the Grossest Thing That Ever Happened In The Entire World happened to me today. Well, maybe not the grossest thing EVER, but it was pretty disgusting. I was playing with Dallin while I was lying on the couch. I had him held up over me and was making him laugh. A great time for all. Then... he spit up all over my face. Lucky for me, I had just closed my mouth, so it didn't go in my mouth, but it did go in my nose. I mean, he got my entire face!! I was not happy. Aiden was on the other couch, watching TV. Being the great, big helper that he is, Aiden turns and looks at me, then says, "Mom, Dallin just spit up on you." Thanks, Aiden. I didn't realize.

And that is my Tuesday.

11 comments:

Mike said...

Sariah, don't try to compare your blog to others. Write about what you want to write about in your own words and style and people will appreciate it.

FeatherSky said...

I agree with Mike.

But then I still compare my blog to others and think that I'm rambling nonsense after most posts too.

I enjoy what you have to say Sariah :)

fourth_fret said...

oh sure, i'm not smart. i see how you are. ;)

i agree with mike. i read your blog faithfully, and it's your voice, and your voice is worth hearing/reading!

heh. the whole spit up thing is good times x 20. in fact, ima put it in my mental filing cabinet so i can snicker at it ALLLLLLLL day!

(keep being you. there's no one else like you)

April_Mommy said...

Ok so when my daugher came home they had her on this ultra thick formula to try and get her weight up... combine that with Reflux disease and you have the vomit factory... The little one would spit up after EVERY meal, especially when you were burping her... so, know that Hubby did get it in the mouth once, I got it down my back ALL the time, in our hair, on our faces, you name it - we were puked on there... you are not alone! However, it is still really funny :-)

ABQ Mom said...

Sariah I agree with you about Gary Sinese. I would say that currently he is one of my favorite actors. I hardly watch the national news anymore just because I am so tired of hearing about everyone dying in Iraq and how the support for the president is slipping. I missed the Today Show yesterday but I did see him on a year ago, I really am glad there are people out there like him that are willing to support the troops through action rather than just words. I hope that your brother in law gets to come home soon.
I love reading your blog page and I get a little sad inside when you haven't written anything new. :-) Keep writing!
I haven't had the spit up in the face event yet, I have seen it on Americas Funniest Videos too many times to remember NOT to lift the baby over my head right after a feeding. But I have been spit up where its gone right down the front of my shirt. If that isn't the most horrible feeling, I don't know what is!

Proud Mum said...

My little guy spat up more than all the other babies at our playgroup combined. We couldn't follow the "don't lift him above your head after a feeding" rule because with him it could happen anytime.

My husband has had the spit-up-facial, I was using the spit-up-shampoo, and I have been spat upon in places I would prefer not to name. I am still finding spots on our carpets and around the house of dried spit up. We can totally relate to your story!

Please don't be discouraged about your blog. We all go through dry spells. But we all support you and love to read what you write because you have great voice and a fun perspective on things. Always a fun read!

Philosophical Karen said...

Grossest thing ever? Like anyone would know that!

(Sorry, hope I got the quote almost close.)

If it were not for you and your blog Sariah, I would not know that Napoleon Dynamite was good in the first place. I don't think I can appreciate him quite as much as you, but I aspire to emulate your level of adoration. ;-)

Ben hardly ever puked, but his cousin visited one time and that girl was a projectile vomitor (sp?). My little bottle of spot cleaner for the carpet was working overtime that day.

And you know what? I have felt for a long time that there is not enough credit given to the good works the soldiers are doing. I am really glad you wrote about that, especially being able to comment on it personally because of your brother-in-law.

Philosophical Karen said...

Of course, as I was reading this post I found myself wanting to say "Oh sure, I'm not funny."

Kris said...

OK that is funny! Your experience reminded me of a trip to the SPCA that my sister had. She was looking at kittens when all of a sudden this kitten threw up all over the back of a man who had his back turned to that particular cage. He was walking around with cat barf on his coat and no one told him. I just realized that that is a gross story but it still makes me chuckle!

K.

Kris said...

BTW if you want to see the grossest thing ever, come over to my work and see what the spoiled beef sticks look and smell like...EWWWWWW.

K.

Lura said...

Ok, so I just read about Dallin spitting up on you and have to say, Jago just did that to me this morning. So gross. This is the second time he's done it to me, which is funny since he doesn't normally spit up at all. Ah, the joy of babies.