Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Running Into Walls

Proud Mum and Julia, I had to add my two cents worth.

Another bunch of stuff from Ricks College here. One day I was running late for Symphonic Band. Now, for those of you who don't know (or haven't yet figured it out), Ricks College was a small, LDS junior college. It has changed recently and is now BYU-Idaho. Anyrate, because it is a religious, private school, there are a lot of religious things you can do there that you can't do elsewhere (or as easily, anyway). For example, we studied straight out of the hymnbook in music theory, discussed what church leaders and prophets have said in music history, and a prayer was offered at the beginning of every performance and a lot of classes. Symphonic Band always had a prayer before rehearsal.

On this particular day, as I said, I was running late. We rehearsed on the stage in the concert hall (one of the most acoustically correct in the country, btw. I'm a little proud of that!), and the doors to the stage were closed. They were in the middle of prayer. So I waited outside the doors until the prayer was over. Meanwhile, someone else was late or walking by or something and stopped to say hi to me. So I turned and talked to them for a minute. When the prayer was done (I could hear people rustling their instruments and stuff around), I turned around to walk in to rehearsal. I guess I forgot the door was closed, because I walked right into it. Of course, with those perfect acoustics, the sound reverbrated throughout the concert hall and everyone on stage turned and looked at me. They saw it was just me, and I guess they assumed that was no surprise because everyone went back to their business without a second glance.

I have walked into the pillars in the lobby of the Snow Building (the fine arts building at Ricks, aka, my other home). I walked into the walls of the hallways. It was a constant.

So, Proud Mum and Julia, you aren't the only ones.

4 comments:

terrierchica said...

I walked into a doorknob the other day...it hurt. Nah, didn't walk, ran.

You have funny stories...weird, but funny.

April_Mommy said...

I also walked into those very same doors Sariah! Not to mention the time that I fell down each and every staircase in that building! Even the little used, somewhat secret stairways... I wasn't called the Gimp for nothing! I just seem to as an old professor used to say to us all the time "if you make a mistake, make it in a grand style." It seemed a fitting motto for my life!

ABQ Mom said...

April that phrase was from Dr. Call wasn't it? I have a really good Fish Bowl related clutz story to tell too. Just waiting for the right time to write it! I can't believe you walked right into the door, and then that everyone really wasn't surprised when it happened!

Philosophical Karen said...

The only time I walked into a wall was in a bank, when the "wall" in question was a sheet of plate glass that was totally invisible. Usually they put little yellow stickers, or some kind of frosted design to alert people not to walk there. This time they didn't do that, so I walked right into it. (I bet I wasn't the only one, but I was so embarrassed at the time I never even thought of that.)