Sunday, January 01, 2006

Random Bits of My Life

I have to say, I have one interesting 3 year old. The things that he says and does never ceases to amaze me. Sometimes we call him a goof. Other times we shake our heads and say, "He's way too smart!" Yet other times, we just try to catch our breath to keep up with the kid.

A few nights ago, I was in the living room with one lonely light on, reading. It was quite late, but I hadn't had any time to myself that day (what else is new?), and Aiden was supposed to be sleeping. He kept getting up with some excuse or another, and I was getting pretty tired of the whole deal. Finally, I threatened him with a spanking if he got out of bed again (spankings are very few and far between in this house, so it's a real threat). Do you know what my little booger said to me???

"You need to take your medicine, Mom, so you will not be angry Mommy. We don't want angry, yelling Mommy. We want happy Mommy. You need your medicine to make you happy Mommy."

Do you know how hard it is to try to be serious when everything inside of you is exploding in laughter at the statements he just made? Oh, and I wasn't acting angry at the point, and I certainly wasn't yelling. I was whispering quite sternly, that's all.

*****

I got an MP3 player for Christmas! WOOT! I couldn't understand the instruction booklet though (it is translated VERY BADLY into English), so we're just figuring out how it works as we go along. The important part is that it has my playlist on there and I can listen to my music right now. Yay! And it has a very cool looking dragon on part of it.

I also got a classical guitar for Christmas. (I really raked in the good stuff this year between my birthday and Christmas) Ches will be taking guitar lessons this semester, so he said now we can practice together. I love my guitar. It rocks. As do I.

I got a full-length mirror for my birthday. It is one of those old-fashioned looking ones that is oval and you can tilt it and stuff. It's very pretty! I said to Ches, "This is exactly what I wanted, and I didn't even know it!" I have the best husband ever. I was looking at myself one morning after getting dressed and said, "Wow, I guess I have lost a bit of weight. I didn't think I looked this good." Ches replied with, "Now will you believe me when I tell you you're not fat?" No, I still have a ways to go before I'll be happy. Especially since I acted like a pig over Christmas and I need to lose more fat around my belly.

****

Today was Aiden's first day in Primary. For those of you who aren't LDS, Primary is basically Sunday School for the kids between the ages of 3 and 11. 18 months to 3 years they are in Nursery, and once kids turn 12 they enter either Young Men's or Young Women's until they are 18 (or out of high school).

Anyrate, sometimes Aiden was excited to hear that he got to join the "big kids" in Primary, but other times he would say, "No, I'm too little for Primary. I need to go to Nursery." We have a very small congregation, so Aiden is the only Sunbeam (that's the name of his class), and they combine classes. Apparantly he did pretty well today. He just has to learn reverence a little bit better, but they said he will grow into it.

Their lesson today was on "I am a child of God." The teacher said, "And Aiden, you are a child of God, too."

"No, I am NOT a child of God! I'm Batman!"

In singing time they are learning a new song (I don't know what it is... something about the power of the scriptures??). So Aiden says he learned to sing about power. Oh, and he told Ches, "Jesus has powers!" Apparantly now Jesus is a superhero, too. I don't think that's such a bad thing, though.

*****

Congratulations to Sariah in Vancouver! Here's to big bellies and cute maternity clothes for the next few months. And the best excuse ever to not have to suck in your stomach!

*****

As some of you know, we are having quite the rainstorms here in Northern Nevada. There has been a lot of flooding (they are comparing it to the flood of '97, but since I sure didn't live here then, I really have no idea what they are talking about!). We are blessed because we live on a huge hill, so while there was a road closure on one side of the hill and lots of water on the other, we are fine. No damage to us at all. Thanks for your thoughts everyone!

*****

Happy New Year!!! Or, as some of you may be expecting from me: Hpy e Ya!

8 comments:

Kris said...

I think that must be what my kids think about me...and I don't even have medicine for my problem. *wink*...oh the life of a mother.

Happy New Year!

K.

Alyson said...

I remember Ethan's first time as a sunbeam. He didn't do as well as Aiden, at least in Sharing time or closing exercises. I was there because I was conducting closing exercises. As I was anouncing the birthdays, Ethan got up from his chair and ran to the back of the room yelling "Come On Guys, Chase Me!" Nobody got up to get him, I had to stop conducting, walk to the back of the primary room and get him and this happened in front if the bishopbric member. I was so embarrased.

ABQ Mom said...

Sariah, I'm sure Shane has a few battle stories to tell you about Will's first day in Sunbeams. They have a very large class, like 11 I think. Shane ended up sitting through sharing/singing time holding Will tightly on his lap.

Then when it was time for class, Will just wouldn't have it. He went running down the hall, and wouldn't calm down, Shane ended up sitting in the car with him for 30 minutes waiting for me to get out of R.S.

fourth_fret said...

aiden is so cool!

you know, i was watching the news yesterday, and thought of you. i'm glad to hear you're ok... just remember, if the floods a comin'... it won't help to stop, drop and roll. ;)

stay safe.

Philosophical Karen said...

Holy Powers, Batman!

(I'm sorry, I swear I don't know where that came from. I think I need to work more on my reverence, too.)

Um... I should just quit now, shouldn't I?

<- slinks away quietly ->

Quiet Elk said...

The wise man built his house upon the hill, the wise man built his house upon the hill, the wise man built his house upon the hill and the rains came-a tumb-a-lin' down!

Close enough, eh?

I thought of you when I saw the news the other day too. Glad you're on a hill!

Happy New Year!!!

Quiet Elk said...

AH! I'm posting as quiet Elk. Huh, I wonder how many sites I've left a comment on without noticing! whoops! This is timber :)

April_Mommy said...

Scripture Power, keeps me safe from sin...

Scripture Power is the power to WIN!

Scripture power, every day I see, the power that I get each time I read...


Can you tell that I teach in primary? I have the four year olds this year (last year's sunbeams)... I can't believe that he is the only one in your ward!!! We have 15 sunbeams this year! Last year we had 17!