Friday, May 05, 2006

Random Friday

So, first and foremost for today:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ERICA!!

I remember my 18th birthday. In our town at the time, there was a city curfew. If you were under 18, you had to be home by 10 pm on weeknights and home by 12:30 am on weekends (I think that's right, anyways). My curfew from my parents was 10 pm and 12 am. I wanted special permission from my parents to do what just about everyone else in town did when they turned 18: Stay out past the city curfew. I wasn't going to do anything special. Just drive around with my other friends, saying things like, "Wow, we're out past curfew. Heh." Yes, I know, it sounds dumb, but what else is there to do when you are 18 and don't smoke (so can now legally buy cigarettes) or gamble (so could go to Branson on a riverboat or something like some of my friends did with their parents for their 18th birthday). So anyway... I asked my parents, and replied with a big, fat, resounding "NO!" I still had to come home by my curfew. They weren't happy with me going out in the first place. My birthday is on Christmas Eve, and they wanted me home with the family, not out with my friends and my boyfriend (most of whom were actually home with their families because why do you think? Yes, it was Christmas Eve.). So my boyfriend and I went to see The Lion King (it was on a second run at a theatre in town) at the late showing, then I went straight home and went to bed. Real exciting, I know. But it was nice to say "I'm 18!!"

*****

I have the best husband EVER. He completely surprised me for our anniversary by giving my an iPod Nano. I mean, I was in COMPLETE shock. I didn't expect that! And then I felt like crap because all I got him was the Back to the Future trilogy on DVD.

I was worried about the cost (we don't exactly have a lot of money for anything right now), and my dear, sweet, charming husband said, "I have a second job right now, and whatever I make in comission isn't included in the budget. It's extra money. So I can spend it on my family when I want to." He also told me not to expect much for Mother's Day, but I'm SO fine with that! I love my Nano.

*****

Conversation with Aiden in the bathroom today:
Aiden: Mom, Spencer's pee is white.
Me: What??
A: I said, Spencer's pee is white.
Me: And how do you know that?
A: Spencer told me.
Me: When did he tell you?
A: Because in church on Sunday, Spencer said, "My pee is white."
Me: Hmmm. Well, we don't really talk about pee during church, okay?
A: Okay.

*****

Happy Cinco de Mayo, for those of you who care. There really isn't anything going on here in town today, but I guess there's a big shin dig of sorts tomorrow and Sunday. If Ches wasn't so busy, it'd be fun to take the kids and go as a family. See some mariachi bands, eat some good food, let Aiden take a few swings at a pinata (how do you get the ~ over the "n" in Spanish words when you are typing, anyway??). Aiden has been a little obsessed with pinatas recently. Once I told him that basically you swing at it with a stick to break it and out comes a bunch of candy, he's been a little excited. Maybe we should have a pinata at our celebration for Ches' graduation. That would actually be a LOT of fun. Hmmmm...

*****

Today I got to proof-read Ches paper for his research project. While there is still a bit of work to be done, that is mostly what it's going to be. And is this the proper place to mention that I'm a big, fat, nerd who enjoys proofreading papers? I have to say I do a stinkin' good job of it (my claim to fame is helping a roommate freshman year raise her paper from a C+ to an A in one night and then helping Ches last year with a paper for music theory right after we had Dallin, and Ches still pulled a B+!!). I also just love to be able to help Ches out with something. It makes me feel needed.

*****
Quote of the day:
They say the seeds of what we will do are in all of us, but it always seemed to me that in those who make jokes in life the seeds are covered with better soil and with a higher grade of manure.
-- Ernest Hemmingway

11 comments:

Laural said...

Congrats on the ipod. That is so fun! I love the pee conversation with Aiden...what a cutie! Thanks for sharing your random thoughts. They make me happy!

fourth_fret said...

heh. i wonder if spencer has confused white with clear.

iPod will change your life. seriously.

Philosophical Karen said...

Pardon me for a moment, Sariah....Ernest, we call it "compost".

Sariah, when I want to type special characters (as in the word piƱata) I usually use Character Map. That 'n' with the tilde is hard to find though. Character Map says the keystroke is Alt+0241. I can't seem to make that work, though.

By the way, I really like that pee conversation the kids had.

Sariah said...

I'm glad you all appreciate the pee conversation. I debated whether or not I should include it, but it was pretty random, so it fit.

So Karen, where do I find the Character Map? I didn't even know it existed!! Thanks for the help, though.

Philosophical Karen said...

From the Start menu, choose Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map.

You see a window with a listing of every character available in the selected font. (You can change fonts if you want to.)

Scroll down to the special characters. The "tilde n" is not with the N's (that would make too much sense). It is listed among the lower case O's for some reason.

Lura said...

Aiden has the most interesting conversations and observations. What a great age.

I, too, like editing papers. I had a roommate once who would have me read over her papers. She'd often ignore what I recommended, and would get a B or a C. When she actually listened to me she got an A every time. Hmm, you'd think that would've told her something...like listen to the girl getting a degree in English.

April_Mommy said...

When Sultry Husband graduated from college, I knew that his degree was as much mine as it was his. Sure, my name isn't on the diploma, but I sure helped his get there...

As for the ipod... lucky girl! Someday I will get a cell phone (I know that I am the last one on the planet to not have one)... after that happens, perhaps I will get an ipod.

Sariah said...

Karen -- I found it! Thanks! I love learning new things from my blogging buddies. :)

April -- We don't have cell phones, either. Can't afford that extra cost each month. It makes things pretty difficult sometimes, but then again, thousands and millions of years went by without cell phones, so we can last a little longer, too, right? ;)

Allrie said...

I don't have a cell phone, unless you count the one in my drawer that Jesse gave me when he got his new one...just in case I ever get a cell phone contract...[don't hold your breathe].

I also do not have an ipod or anything like that, Luddite that I am I only *sorta* know what you have.

It WAS Christmas Eve. We wanted you home!

And I can't BELIEVE you didn't tell when you first began proofreading college papers--when you were in first and second grade and proofread for spelling errors for me![and helped me get my A's as well :D ]

FeatherSky said...

I love the conversation with Aiden! Jaedin comes up with odd observations like that too! It always cracks me up!

Nathan got me an MP3 player for my b-day (it's the cheap kind, the ones that the ipod's laugh at). I still love it--it plays music!! :)

ABQ Mom said...

Congrats on the ipod. That's awesome! What a great surprise. The pee conversation was very cute. This is a funny age, there are often conversations with "W" that crack me up too.

I love proofreading too. Mostly I'm good at spelling errors. Language rules are a little more tricky to catch. At my old job I would have to proofread computer software code. Not all the time. But if the manager did it instead of me the program wouldn't work. hmm...

Pinatas are fun. You should definitely get one for Ches' graduation party.