Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Whilst

So we were watching The Apprentice last night as Ches finished up his paper (yes! It's all done!). If you haven't been watching, there are two teams doing tasks. Last night there were three people on each team, and it ended up being a girls vs. guys type of thing. And one of the guys is British (so has a very yummy accent).

The guys were making flyers to promote the event they were throwing, and the British guy typed in the word "whilst" in the middle of a sentence. The other two guys were making fun of him for his Proper British Ways and his Proper British Words. They changed "whilst" to "while", as it made a lot more sense to the group of people they were trying to attract (college students and tail-gaters at a Homecoming football game. Yup... drunks, mainly.).

I just found it super funny. Whilst. It's a cool word. As Americans, we don't use enough cool words. I'm not sure we Americans can be Proper like the British and have such Proper Ways and Proper Words to use. Whilst. Did anyone else find it funny, or am I that strange? (Maybe that should be an unanswered question!)

3 comments:

Lura said...

I have a sweater that uses "whilst" on the tag. I got the sweater in England. I love the word. And I think that on the whole we Americans really don't know how to use a proper and higher vocabulary.

Either that or I've been dealing with particularly stupid people lately.

fourth_fret said...

i use whilst when i'm being uppity. um, not that i'm implying the british are uppity... just that hearing whilst from a kid who also says dadgum, and y'all, well... you know there's intent behind the use of whilst.

Laural said...

I thought it was very funny. So, either we are both very weird, or, we are perfectly normal! I think we are normal, of course!