Friday, May 26, 2006

Random Friday

Okay, so you know how I just got those great new clam-diggers from Old Navy? I wore them, then washed them, then wore them. At the end of the day of the second wearing, I noticed a hole next to one of the front pockets!! Another hole is starting to come in on the other front pocket! What is up with that, anyway? I don't have the receipt anymore, but I'm so taking them back. I mean, that's just ridiculous. Wearing through on the second wearing!

*****

Today I returned some of the equipment I had used for winter guard to the high school that it belongs to. I walked into the "guard room" (which is just a storage space that has guard and percussion stuff in it, as well as choir risers), and lo and behold... the room was a disaster area. No kidding. Poles and silks and equipment were scattered everywhere. Clothes and make up and purses... everywhere. Some of our new silks (that we had gotten for the past season!!) were crumpled on the floor, getting very dirty. A couple were even stuck under a riser, and one is snagged and I think ripped. I am SO not happy with my girls. Those silks cost almost $40 each!! This is the ghetto, poor school! I had to beg to get those silks!

Of course, my girls aren't the only ones that use that room. A lot of other kids do, too, now. I talked to the band teacher, and it is now going to be completely off limits. I wonder if it will lock.

I spent some time and got a bit cleaned up. Ches had to go to work, so I will go back one day next week and finish it. I'm just so upset at the lack of respect the kids have for their own equipment. We don't have a lot of money to spend on stuff, so we really have to take care of what we've got. We have to make do with what we already have. If they continue to treat things like this, then why should anyone take us seriously, and why should I fight for them to have new, good equipment?

I'm just so mad.

*****

Aiden's new favorite book du jour is Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Williams (he is the author and the illustrator). It's such a cute book. Aiden had me read it twice last night before he went to bed, and he already has it memorized. He's been walking around all day saying, "True Story". If you don't know this book, check it out.

*****

Last week I read Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella. It was a really cute book. Not too hard to read (I think it only took me two days to read), but still enjoyable. I could relate to the main character, Rebecca, in the ways that I feel my debt consume me so much. I could also relate in that I want the good stuff (although I have never owned anything quite as nice as her. No Chanel or Prada or Jimmy Choos for me!), but lack the funds for anything. I could not relate to her in that she is seriously able to keep buying and buying and buying when she has no money! But I still enjoyed reading all about her. Oh! And there are two sequals! So I have something definite to get next time I'm at the library (Tuesday morning!! Yay!)

*****

Have I ever mentioned that Dallin is a genius? Well, it's true. Lately, all it takes is either Ches or me showing him a sign once, and he picks it up. Or he tries to figure it out (you should have seen him trying "no". So cute).

Oh, and he figured out how to make the "lazer" part of my light saber come out... all by himself. That's right. By himself.

I have the smartest kids on the planet. Don't try to dispute me on this one. No matter what you say, I'll still completely believe in my little geniuses. :)

*****

I love my visiting teachers. Seriously love them. [For a description of visiting teachers for you non-LDS readers, check this out.] So, Sister M. came today, but Sister H. couldn't make it (I think her son is getting married and they have a reception tonight. Not sure). Sister M. brought two grocery bags and said, "I hope you won't be offended by this, but I saw you the other day and you just looked so tired, so I made you guys dinner. You can use it tonight or freeze it and use it whenever."

The greatest part was I was just thinking about how tired I am and I should think about dinner in case I need to run to the store, but I didn't want to, and do we have the money to order a pizza because that would be the easiest thing.

Sister M. made spaghetti (noodles already cooked, so I just have to heat it up) with a meat sauce, salad (with cucumber, tomatos, and dressing all in seperate containers since she didn't know what we would like on our salad), parmesean cheese in it's own container, two kinds of bread, a stick of butter (real butter!), homemade chocolate chocolate chip cookies, and a half gallon of ice cream.

This was just what I needed! I love Sister M.!!

*****

Song of the Day: Fairytale of New York by the Pogues. Why? I have always just liked this one. A lot. I think I'll have to download this to my iPod. I haven't listened to it in a while, and it's stuck in my head right now.

*****

Quote of the Day:
Charlie Brown is the one person I identify with. C.B. is such a loser. He wasn't even the star of his own Halloween special.
-- Chris Rock

11 comments:

Proud Mum said...

YAY for supper surprises!

Sorry about the messy closet; it stresses me out when my students (now my YW) don't show respect for the things that were so hard to get in the first place.

Lura said...

I love it when I have great VTs like that. Speaking of which, I still need to do my visiting teaching...

So, I agree that your kids are smart. After all, they're my nephews, right? :) But I think my son can be counted as a genius as well. Just because he's typically more interested in eating the books right now than in reading them...well, he is only 8 1/2 months old.

Oh, and I like the quote.

Allrie said...

I empathize with you on the closet. I found that, generally speaking, my very poor inner city kids really had to taugh every simple thing about care for anything. [This is why I devekoped the "if its not lamanated, it doesn't go to school" philosophy.] Part of te problem is undenyably other kids gtting into there, but you have to teach your girls how to care for their equipment in a very personal way. I know it seems silly, but there it is. [In my school, toilet paper was alloted to the teachers, who then had to teach their students how to use it properly so we would have enough each month. Embarrassing, yes, but after a few months, we were able to place toilet paper in the bathrooms and have it used properly rather than used to clog pipes and make messes on the floor.]

Sariah said...

Mom and Angel -- the thing is... I *have* taught them how to take care of their equipment! I have had them clean up the guard room several times before, I have shown them exactly how I want things put away and made them do it. The silks had been moved out of the actual closet, or were knocked to the floor. People had been messing around with equipment when they shouldn't have been. And they girls have been using the guard room as their personal dressing room... all year long. It was okay in the fall (well, a little okay) when they had to get ready for a marching show, but it's not okay now.

So, that's my frustration. And I don't think I should have to tell teenagers (who are not my own kids) to pick up their clothes. I'm sure I'll be doing that enough when my boys are this age!! ;)

ABQ Mom said...

I'm so sorry about the mess in which you found the guard room. That's really hard, especially when you have already "taught" them how to keep things cleaned up.

I'll agree with you that you have the smartest kids in the world, but they tie with mine. ;-)

I am so glad you have such good visiting teachers. Everyone should have good VT's and everyone should BE a good VT. I am so happy your VT was able to see that you needed a little nurturing. :-)

Funny thing about music. I don't know much by the title of the song. I may know a song, but not recognize the title. I'm getting better though. I would love to hear that song you mentioned.

FeatherSky said...

If teaching them isn't working, do you have the authority to punish them? Can you gather them all up and make them run laps or something for you? Maybe have them write a couple page essay entitled "Why I need to care for my gear" before they can be on the team or something? Teens are generally more fear motivated than lecture motivated. :)

What awesome VT's you have! I'm not a very good VT, but I guess that's because I don't mind the months where I get missed. I'm not a big fan of forced friendships. I generally at least send out a letter to each lady every month.

fourth_fret said...

i can see why those clam diggers in the disaster area where pigeons shouldn't drive the bus on the way to buy prada could make dallin a genius.

(random response monday) :P

Philosophical Karen said...

Oh that is one of my favourite songs too (well, my absolute favourite Christmas song)!

I once said that to a radio personality by email -- amazingly he responded. But he said they had to be careful with that song on the radio because of the "language" in it. But...that's the part I like best about the song. I don't know why.

Laural said...

Visiting Teachers? What are those? Oh, you mean those nice women that used to take care of me before I moved to this ward? That's right, I do remember something about them being absolutely fabulous! :)

Sorry about the clam diggers and the mess in the closet. I sure hope I wasn't like the teenagers are today when I was their age! I've decided that they are either exceptionally good kids, or just bumps on the log of life, not caring about much but themselves!

Congrats on the genius'! How do I sign up for that? :)

Sariah said...

karen -- This is one of MY favorite Christmas songs, too! :) I was going to quote my favorite part of the song, but as the radio DJ said, you have to be careful of the "language". I'm like you, though. It's my favorite part. In college I used to go around with a friend singing "You scumbag you maggot..." and so on. But I didn't want to accidentally offend anyone here by the next line, so I didn't quote.

Allrie said...

FF--you made me really laugh out loud--very loud!

Sariah--the fear motivation comment is valid. And when you get too upset over it...remember what the fire marshall in Goshen said... :D