Friday, June 16, 2006

Random Friday

The Reno Rodeo has started, and the HHS band gets to participate in the parade tomorrow. I hate doing parades. Really. BUT doing this one measley parade gets the band $750, so I won't complain... much.

We had rehearsal this morning, and it was hot out. Actually, it wasn't too bad, but since I'm so freakin' pregnant and I was dragging my other two children along with me, I got hot and tired really quickly. It's supposed to be even hotter tomorrow, but I'm not marching the parade, and the parade is in the morning, so it won't kill anyone.

*****

Ches leaves in a week to go to Phoenix and interview for jobs. Looks like a really strong possibility we're moving back to Phoenix. I'm really excited. I'm also really nervous. It's going to be difficult to get everything packed and moved and find a new doctor and get Aiden signed up for preschool and get Ches started on a new job... but we'll make it through. We always have before!!

*****

Last weekend we made a trip to Boise. My 19 year old brother left for his LDS mission to Tahiti this week, and the family had a little luau Saturday night for him. Sunday, he spoke in church (his "farewell"). We were really happy to get to go and see everyone there. However, there are a couple of things I learned from the trip:

1. When looking at directions on MapQuest, it is best to actually print out the directions, even if you think you know the way. That would have saved us 3 hours of driving time, and we wouldn't have missed the luau.

2. Apparanly Nevada is much more dry than Idaho. Boise is desert, but we could feel more moisture in the air. And when we got home, my lips cracked for the rest of the week.

3. A stomach bug passes around family faster than gossip. And it hits everyone differently.

4. Always remember how fun the short trip was. There were no fights or annoyances on this trip. It is better to have a short trip and leave wanting more than it is to have a long trip and leave hoping never to see anyone for at least 10 years.

*****

Dallin is officially a walker!! He's been working on it for quite a while, but this past week he made it to all walking. He falls down easily, but stands right back up. He's so cute, too. Dallin keeps his arms stuck up in the air for balance and takes little steps so he won't fall. Sometimes he gets excited and tries to go fast, and then he tumbles, but he is usually laughing the whole time.

*****

I saw a little bit of the Britney Spears interview on Dateline with Matt Lauer last night. I still think she is trashy in so many ways (I once heard someone say "You can take the girl out of Louisiana, but you can't take the Louisiana out of the girl!"), but I can't help but feel a little sorry for her. Well, for her and all high-profile stars.

You see, we "normal" people get to get married and become parents without this large amount of scrutiny from media and paparazzi. We make mistakes, but those mistakes are made in private. We are able to learn and grow and not think much about it.

Famous people have cameras on them every moment of the day. When they make a childish mistake (getting married in Vegas to an old friend just for kicks), the whole world knows about it. When they make a normal mistake (tripping on the sidewalk while holding the baby and almost dropping baby), they are called bad parents. If I trip on the sidewalk and almost drop my child (and it has happened... many times, and sometimes I do indeed drop my child), I'm just called a klutz.

Apparantly normal people are allowed to make mistakes, but famous people are not. What a strange world we live in.

*****

As we were going through Aiden's bedtime checklist last night, he announced, "We need to take off Brush Teeth and put on Play Games With My Dad." In Aiden language, Play Games With My Dad means Play XBox Games For Several Hours With Dad, Or By Myself.

Yeah, Aiden. That is soooo going to happen.

*****
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALYSON!!

*****

Quote of the day:
Whatever is begun in anger, ends in shame.
--Benjamin Franklin

6 comments:

Philosophical Karen said...

Oh my gosh! I think I need to apologize to you. Your son must somehow be communicating telepathically with my son and picking up his behaviour. No brushing teeth? Xbox games instead? Fight that battle early and fight it good. And be prepared to keep fighting it, because you've got many more years of it ahead of you, I'm afraid.

ABQ Mom said...

Oh I could ditto on so many of your "points" you learned on your trip. :-D
One Thanksgiving, I got sick, my MIL thought I was pregnant (which I was but just barely so I wasn't into the sick thing yet), but then a few days later everyone else got it!

I've never liked Britney Spears, but I do feel sorry for her. I didn't watch the interview last night, but as a parent I feel bad that she gets all her little mistakes made headline news. Though there were a few I felt really angry about, I guess just one. When she had her baby in the her lap while driving the car! I'm so glad I don't have hundreds of people following my every move pointing out all my mistakes.

Hope the Phoenix interviews go well. I'll be excited if you do go to AZ, you'll be closer for visits!

Yay for Dallin walking, and I have to admit that Aiden's checklist alteration was quite funny, I'm really glad we haven't introducted W to Nintendo 64 yet.

Laural said...

Phoenix? You don't really want to go to Phoenix do you? :) Oh, all right...have a great time!!

That's so great that Dallin is walking! I know it means they are into more things, but I loved it when my kids started walking. They felt so much more like people then. Maybe I'm just weird.

I live by Mapquest. Especially out here where I know nothing! I even used it in Preston where I thought I knew most everything. Ok, not is Preston, but Logan.

Anyway, wish Ches all the luck in the world for us. We're keeping you in our prayers!

fourth_fret said...

i don't even get the "you can take a girl out of La., but you can't take La., out of the girl."

La. was one of my favorite places to live, ever. in fact, i think hospitality, good manners, and some of the best eatin' this side of the mississippi is well represented by La. so, that comment must've come from someone who most likely has only experienced mardi gras, or hurricane mayhem. or... nothing.

heh. man, rant. sorry.

i don't like britney spears. well, i don't like her music. i don't know her, so i don't know how i feel about her directly. i do know i'm just about burnt with tabloids, paparazzi, and gossip news. so, uh, two points for the La. girl. i guess.

?

heh.

Proud Mum said...

Yay Dallin!

I agree w/ you on the Brit points, I wouldn't want to be publicly scruitinized, either. BUT, if she wants respect, shouldn't she have dressed differently for the interview? She didn't do herself any favours with that one.

Good luck with Phoenix!

fourth_fret said...

so, where in the valley exactly will these interviews be taking place? will you be coming also?

this could all get crazy real quick you know. ;)

p.s. my verification word was bsvenue. that totally cracked me up.