Thursday, June 01, 2006

Warning: This is a Complaining Post

You know who I hate? Besides smokers and people who don't use their turn signals, that is. I hate Know-It-Alls. Really, really, really can't stand them.

We all have our moments of "I have to be right and everyone else is completely wrong on this issue", but Know-It-Alls, have to be right on every issue, all the time.

It's really annoying.

I mean, here Inside My Universe I think we can all agree that I really am right about everything. Because it's My Universe. Any doubts? Look at the top of the page. Besides, I don't mind being wrong. I'm wrong a lot. Ask my husband. He's often right (but not in the Know-It-All kind of way).

Know-It-Alls don't seem to understand that half the things they are spouting off about is a matter of opinion, and not everyone shares the same opinion. That's okay that we don't all agree on everything! The world would be so completely boring we did. Know-It-Alls rarely seem to spend the time actually listening to other opinions anyway. They may think they are, but they are just coming up with ways to refute the other opinion and make themselves look right.

Know-It-Alls do not respect people with different opinions and beliefs. I know of some who claim to be open-minded, but when it comes to someone with a completely different belief or system of values, the Know-It-All closes off all discussion without a second thought. Because they are right, you know, and the other person is completely wrong and must be completely insane.

I'm so tired of being talked down to and treated like a two-year old by Know-It-Alls. I know that I don't know everything. I know that my opinion on certain issues (and I'm not necessarily talking politics here) is completely different than yours. But I am still a human being, and believe it or not, I can think for myself. I don't need you telling me exactly why I am so wrong about everything!!

Thank you for letting me complain.

8 comments:

Kris said...

NO PROBLEM-O. Can I add the term self-righteous to know it all? I hate self-righteous know it alls! Amen...hehe...I hear ya!

K.

ABQ Mom said...

Everyone has the right to rant every so often! Including you. :-P

Let me just quote dixie_angel's second paragraph: "Let the record show: I know-nothing. I am a know-nothing-at-all....I always was one, and surely always will be...."

That applies to me as well. I doubt ANYONE has ever thought I was a know-it-all let alone someone who KNEW anything AT ALL. :-P

Proud Mum said...

Sometimes I'm a know-it-all. It's frustrating because I do it without thinking, and I don't actually think I know all. It's something I struggle with.

IF I get know-it-all-y with you just tell me, and please please please don't take it personally. While I often think I sound like a know-it-all, I don't actually think I know it all. I really hope it isn't me that has offended you, and if it is, please forgive me.

I've been on the other side, too, and it's insulting.

And don't ever feel bad about ranting on your blog, it's your blog! No one can tell you what needs to be on your blog.

April_Mommy said...

Sorry you had to experience someone who frustrated you like this...
I am at a loss for words as to what else to write, so I will just say that I am Never a Know it all... I am the biggest Know Nothing there ever was. I actually need to work on that.

fourth_fret said...

here, let me get my lighter working again. you know what your problem is? (puff, puff)... you forget people smoke. you hate smoke. not the people who smoke. and you hate WHEN people don't use turnsignals. not the people themselves.

you just need to quit thinking for yourself. you're welcome.

signed,
smokin', no turn signalin' knowitall.

ok, 1 out of 3 anyway. :P

(this was a joke, this was only a joke. this post will blow up in 3.2 minutes.) don't dawdle.

fourth_fret said...

um, you knew i was joking... right?

should i delete?

Allrie said...

I am a Know it all. Sometimes. On some issues. I reserve the right to know it all on MY blog. Otherwise all bets are off.

Sometimes I THINK that I do know, but try to let another expresshois viewpoint [even tho. I am right and he is wrong.] I actually think that is what a discussion is all about--a free exchange of opinions.

Did a family member set you off? [Don't answer that--there are too many of us who read your blog, and too many of us-me included, I'm sure-could have been the trigger!

NO ONE KNOWS IT ALL!!!
[they just like to act like they do...and most of the time tey really know that they don't]

The older we get, the more ignorant we understand tat we are. I do not mean this as a trite saying, but something that I have come to realize.

OK, Sariah--I think I just heard you say,[kindly of course] Mom, please just shutup now. :D

fourth_fret said...

um, but i know it all. i'm just sayin'...

:P