Friday, June 30, 2006

Random Friday

I just got back from getting my hair cut. It was wonderful. My very long, straight, boring hair is now very short, bouncy, still straight, and really fun. It's really light, and easy to manage. I love it!! Pictures on their way (once Ches gets home and can take a picture of me).

*****

One of the questions Ches was asked in an interview last week went like this: "I see you have a ring on your finger. Are you sure you can handle this job and be here from 6:30 am to 4 pm?"

I find the question highly offensive! I can't believe he was actually asked that! To top it off... that is an illegal question.

How would you have answered that question?

*****

Song of the day: Wonderwall by Oasis. Another song I haven't heard about in awhile, but I heard it on the radio and it made me happy to hear it. I love Oasis. I really love their "What's the Story (Morning glory)" album. Good stuff. It reminds me of my sophomore year of college. My roommates and I listened to that album all the time.

*****

Still no word on when and where we are moving. We should have some answers by the end of next week on the interviews. We are still planning on moving to the greater Phoenix area, but we aren't sure of exactly where yet. I'm hoping for Mesa (I love Mesa!!), but I will be happy just on that side of the valley: Mesa, Tempe, Chandler, or Gilbert.

*****

I am currently reading The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory. It's about Mary Boleyn, who was the sister of Ann, Henry VIII's second wife. It's really well written, and I'm enjoying it a lot. I have some sort of weird fascination with the royal history of England, but don't ask me a lot of questions because I actually don't know all that much. I'm just so interested in it. Anyrate, this book is really good, but historically inaccurate, so if you read it, don't take it as "gospel truth" or anything.

Another really good book I have is called Kings, Queens, Bones, and Bastards by David Hilliam. The subtitle of this book is "Who's Who in the English Monarchy from Egbert to Elizabeth II". It's also a really interesting reference book. Easy to read with just enough information about each monarch, their consorts, their children (illegetimate or not), and where certain people are buried. I highly recommend it. I got this book as a gift from my stepdad several years ago, and I have read it cover to cover several times, as well as referred to it when I had a question about someone.

*****

Three more months and I should be done with this pregnancy. Yay! Actually less, since I'm due September 26th, and since my first two were born early I'm fully expecting this one to come early, too. All I know it I feel like I have been pregnant for the past two years (which, really, is kind of accurate, since we moved to Reno, got pregnant with Dallin almost right away, had Dallin, and got pregnant when he was what? Eight months old?). I hate pregnancy, so I'm excited to get this over with.

Besides, I get to have another little baby! How exciting is that? Yup, I've sure changed my view on this, haven't I? I still wish I had more time in between Dallin and this baby, but I'm not resentful at all anymore. I'm excited for this little boy to join our family.

Oh, still no names yet, so quit asking, people! We're a little busy with everything else and worried about that. We have plenty of time before he's born, so I'm not worried about a name. Besides, we do have a little list going, and we'll pick something out eventually. He won't be named Baby Boy Sharp.

*****

Quote of the day (In honor of tomorrow being Canada Day):
Canada is an interesting place - the rest of the world thinks so, even if Canadians don't.
--Terence Green

8 comments:

Philosophical Karen said...

They could have worded that question differently. I mean, they could have said, "The hours for this job are 6:30 to 4:00. How do you feel about that?" There was no need to mention marital status or express doubt about it at all. These type of questions come up all the time: how do you feel about travel? How do you feel about mandatory overtime? How do you feel about putting in extra effort as deadlines approach?

I'd just answer the question as if it weren't offensive. However, if the person doing the interview was someone who would have authority over me on the job, that would send up a big red flag for me. Even if the company offered me the job, I'd think twice about taking it.

Proud Mum said...

Karen said what I was thinking much more succinctly than I could have.

And then I scoff. It's been twelve hours since my husband was home. Basically he's not coming home for three months. 6:30 - 4:00? Bring it on, I'd say. But then, I was a schoolteacher who worked 12 hour days and I scoff at anyone who thinking teaching school really lets you off at 4. So much to scoff at I could go on.

But YAY for haircuts! I need one badly. I'm almost at the point where I could donate to Locks of Love and still have enough hair left that Paul wouldn't complain about my short hair. Yes, it's that long. I envy your short, voluminous hair.

Anxiously awaiting good news for you...

Kris said...

I would have said..."I polish it up nice and shiny between the hours of 5-6pm, so I don't think it should interfere. Hehe.

K.

Sariah said...

Karen -- You are completly right. If Mr. Universe had been asked simply about the hours, it would have been no problem (in Preston he was at school by 6 or 6:30 and home around 6:30 or 7... often times going back for an hour or two in the evening... we're used to long days). To mentione his marital status, however, really took him by surprise. He just answered it as if he didn't hear the part about the ring. He's definitely thinking twice about working for this school, however.

PM -- Long hours come witht he territory. What teacher actually only works within their contract hours? Maybe the really seasoned ones. However, newer teachers especially seem to spend insane amounts of time at the school. Oh, and definitely get your hair cut! I LOVE the feeling of my light-weight hair!! And I used sooooo much less conditioner this morning. It was nice.

Kris -- Hee hee. I love that answer. I'll have to tell Mr. Universe. That would have been kinda funny. Wonder how the person asking the question would have responded! :)

Allrie said...

Kris--Are you really this quick, or did it take you awhile to come up with the answer for Mr Universe? I could think all week and never come up with so PERFECT an answer!

I could say, however, that while I did not get to school until about 7 am, I usually didn't leave until about 6 pm.

And Sariah, I don't think many "seasoned " teachers worth their salt leven can leave much earlier[oh, just noticed--pun not intended!] at least not when I worked in inner city schools.

When I taught in a lovely Catholic school with oodles of parental support, I arrived only avout 20 minutes before school, and generally was ready to go a cuople hours after school let out most days! But, then there were no forms to be filled out in triplicate, no excess meetings to attend. I WAS the grade level. And I could actually get some of my papers corrected during recesses! 9and during religion class, taught by a nun.)

So, Sariah, thanks for the hair change warning BEFORE I need to recognize you...this time! ;D

Lura said...

Hey, I've had The Other Boleyn Girl on the shelf for a while, but haven't gotten to it yet. Maybe I will, then we can talk about it.

I'm glad you've gotten so excited for this baby, I think that's great! And I promise not to bug you with giving more name suggestions. :)

fourth_fret said...

did you get a mohawk? 'cause a mohawk would be teh awesome. i hope you got a mohawk. hehehe

ABQ Mom said...

Weird on the question. It would be a big red flag on my radar too.

Congrats on the hair cut. I'm seriously thinking of walking into the bathroom and taking the scizzors to my hair and cutting back to my chin. With all the highlights I've done (and pregnancy growout) it looks and feels not very healthy.

PM You should cut your hair and DEFINITELY donate it to Locks of Love. We can all have short hair together and have a race to grow it back out.