Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Fat Man Walking

I saw this guy on the Today Show this morning. He calls himself the "Fat Man Walking". His name is actually Steve Vaught. This guy used to be a Marine, and I don't know what happened since then, but his weight topped out over 400 lbs. He decided enough was enough... it is time to do something. So he embarked on a cross-country walk. That's right... a walk! He started in San Diego, CA and is headed to New York City. He walks for 6 or 7 hours every day, and I think they said he averages about 3 miles and hour. This morning, when Katie Couric was interviewing him, he was in Terre Haute, IN. He has lost about 90 lbs so far, and has changed his attitude towards life in general. I guess he has a lot of time to think! He used to think that the world pretty much sucked and people are mean and rude and stuff, but now he finds that he actually likes life and people. He doesn't sweat the small stuff anymore.

I find this guy to be an inspiration... not just for walking and losing this weight, but this internal change he has made. I don't think I'll be walking across the country any time soon, but I will try to find time everyday to think and internalize what's going on in the world around me. I want to make my life better, and change my attitude towards people in general. Thanks for the inspiration, Fat Man!

He has a website that I'm going to link under my favorites here. You should check it out.

5 comments:

fourth_fret said...

i'm glad you pointed this site out... it's funny, i thought i'd skim it and kind of... you know, "good for him", and forget about it.

but then he wrote about "the epicenter of america- elk city" HA! - which is my birthplace. and... because that caught my attention, i read a bit more of his journal... that's the stuff life is made of. what a great guy- not so much for the journey, but for the willingness to take it, if that makes sense.

Proud Mum said...

I saw that same clip on tv this morning. I remember seeing his interview when he first started. He really has changed his perspective.

You're right, we can all learn from that.

Philosophical Karen said...

I've been reading his journal a bit and I wish I could learn from his insights on self-discipline. That's something I need more of right now.

So thanks for the link. I would not have heard about him otherwise.

ABQ Mom said...

I was going to watch that clip yesterday but forgot. dang it. It made me think of Forrest Gump though. He was being interviewed and he said "I just felt like runnin'..." But this guy actually started with a reason. Good for him. But it still makes me think of Forrest Gump...

Lura said...

Thanks for talking about this. I hadn't heard about him, but I'm glad I have now. Makes me want to be more disciplined myself (which I desperately need).