Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Night Time Scary Stuff

My clock says it is 11:32 pm. Well, the clock here on the computer. The clock on the dresser says 11:40. Either way, it's really late. I was just reading the comments on Fourth Fret's post and it got me to thinking about all sorts of weird night time things.

I am still scared of the dark. Yes, I am 29 years old and scared of the dark (although I like to say that really I am scared of what's in the dark!). I have this thing where once I turn off the light, I have to try and jump into my bed. I can't step on the floor. I don't know why. I'm afraid of something getting me, I guess. All I know is that the floor is scary once the light if off. If my bed is too far from the light switch, I run and leap into my bed, basically hitting the floor as little as possible. I have been doing this for as long as I can remember. A couple of years ago, I was visiting with my father and complaining about Aiden getting out of bed 5 gajillion times a night. He said, "Well, when you were little, I would turn off the light and then say there were spiders all over the floor and you would stay in bed." AH-HA! Now I know why I'm afraid of the floor! My father damaged my psyche! How evil is that???

Do you remember as a kid going to slumber parties and playing dumb, supposedly scary games? Remember "Bloody Mary"? If you don't, here's a quick explaination. Apparantly, you stand in front of a mirror in the dark and say "Bloody Mary" something like 10 times. Some versions say you have to have a candle lit. I don't really remember. Anyrate, after you have called her name, the mirror is supposed to turn all red and bloody like, and Bloody Mary herself is supposed to make a visit. I'm still so scared of that today that I can't have a mirror in visible view of me at night. Ches got me a beautiful full-length mirror for my birthday, but once the lights go out, I can't bear to look at it.

I, too, used to be afraid of intruders/murderers sneaking into my room at night. (All right, all right. I admit. I'm still scared of it.) I would face the wall and cover myself completely with the covers. When I awoke in the middle of the night, I was too afraid to turn over or make a sound for fear that someone was there. I always figured if I was still asleep (or if they thought I was), that nothing would happen to me.

On a lighter note, as my mom mentioned in FF's comments, we had a "ghost" or whatever named Charlie in the family. However, Mom, I remember that he was "Charlie Monster", so he wasn't a ghost. I'm scared of haunted houses and I refuse to buy an old house someday for that reason. Oh, and before anyone tries to argue that my house might end up being built on top of an old Indian burial site or something... no! I'm going to do my research first. No ghosts for me. So as I was saying... Charlie was a monster, not a ghost. And he became quite real to us. I still remember on one of our moves looking out the back window of the station wagon and "seeing" Charlie Monster in his car following us to the new destination. Charlie Monster was very friendly, by the way. Vinnie, Lura, and I played with him all the time. He was our best friend.

So, that's some of my night time scary stuff for you guys. Now my computer clock says 11:46, and I think Ches is trying to sleep, so I should turn off the computer. Even though I have sufficiently scared myself with memories that I don't think I'll be sleeping mcuh tonight. Good thing Ches is there! I use him for protection (Julia, he also snores so loud, I think he actually scares away any bad guys. Heh.)

7 comments:

terrierchica said...

Hahaha....

Actually, don't ask Mom about me in the dark after I finish reading Stephen King books.

If you actually end up building your own house, I'll excavate the land for ya before you build. :) I'm learning how to calculate how much and where to dig right now.

But if it's built already...well...there's only so much research you can do. We don't know where a lot of Indian graveyards are, you know? ;-)

fourth_fret said...

i feel like making ghost sounds. lots.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooOOOOOOOo

boooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooOOOOOOOo

scared?

hehe

Lura said...

I thought it was snakes, not spiders.

Anyway, remember how we (ok, I) used to get so mad at Erica for her stupid nightlight when we all shared a room in AR? Well, since having Jago I started sleeping with a nightlight so that I could see him as soon as I opened my eyes. Now that he mostly sleeps in his own room I still have the nightlight on. It just seems too dark without it. I hope Jesse won't mind when he comes home.

Lura said...

Oh yeah, and I loved Charlie Monster! He was awesome, even if he did get us into trouble sometimes. (I'm telling you,Mom, Charlie Monster did it!)

Allrie said...

Oh. My. Gosh. I didn't realize my girls were all such fraidy cats...I've always LIKED the dark! It's the time of dreams--and I only believe in having good dreams--and yes, you can "direct" your dreams--give it a try. If something in my dream is unpleasant, I wake myself up enough to "change" the story, so it has a good ending. I used to make you do that aloud, Saraiah, when you were little, and it helped.

I'm sorry, I always saw Charlie as a ghost--and didn't realize you saw him as a monster--perhaps he was Vinnie's creation and morphed into a monster?

Sariah--we both need to correct our sleeping/computer habits.

FF, I can tell you'd be fun to have around the house--bet you're the one who jumps into a room yelling, "boo!" so everyone (read siblings here) will jump and scream. No?

Lura said...

It's not that I'm scared of the dark, I've just gotten used to the light. Even when I get to the point of not having to get up during the night with Jago and I quit using the night light, he'll still have his. Jago hates the dark.

Thérèse said...

"Bloody Mary" scared the shit out of me.

Seriously. I tried it once in the downstairs bathroom and couldn't say it the third time.

I could swear I felt a presence looming. I ran out of there trying not to scream.