Thursday, January 19, 2006

Shame Faced

Well, I have to apologize for the previous post. It's a fake. A funny fake, but a fake nonetheless. I got an email from my sister with this picture:



Yes, yes. This is very funny, too. I did laugh. But it's not as funny when you've been thinking you're spreading around something true and funny. Once I saw this, I knew Alyson was right when she said it must be doctored because the trees in Calgary couldn't look like that in January (and it had to be in January because the challenge to read the Book of Mormon was to end at the end of the year). In my [weak] defense: the email we got stated specifically, "A church sign in Calgary".

When I first looked at the last picture, I noticed the link www.churchsigngenerator.com at the top of the sign, but I assumed it was an actual sign company. This is what I get for assuming. The crazy thing is that in high school, I spent three years in the journalism class and one thing you'd think I learned was to always do the research before you publish anything. Heck, I used to want to BE a journalist (still think it'd be cool, but I never liked doing interviews. I wanted to be a columnist.), but went into music instead.

So anyrate, this Sign Generator site will make up signs for you, and they do have some actual funny church signs on the website, too, so if you want a good chuckle, go check it out.

And this is the last time I post something without checking my references. I hope.

10 comments:

Thérèse said...

Oh please. Fiction is where it's at, Sariah. Fictate away, don't even think of sticking to only facts and truth.

Thérèse said...

I'd like to re-iterate.

Don't even think of sticking to only facts and truth.

Alyson said...

What a way to celebrate your 100th post. Hehe. Sorry for blowing it wide open. I tend to do that (remember the picture). Its something i'm working on

Nice Guy said...

That church sign generator fools many people, I have even heard of someone trying to shut it down because they never realized it was a parody.

You can find other fake sign makers on http://www.customsigngenerator.com .

ABQ Mom said...

Even though its not really real, its still funny that someone was creative enough to come up with it. And then spread it all over the internet as well. Both are very funny.

Philosophical Karen said...

Oh, how strange. I never even saw the churchsigngenerator.com thing until you pointed it out, even though it's right there in both photos.

Many times we only see what we look for, I guess.

Kris said...

I still love it!

K.

terrierchica said...

*laughs hysterically*

oh man...now I know why for papers, I'm not allowed to use internet sources...

*laughs again*

fourth_fret said...

man, i wish no one would have told you yet. i was trying to come up with something really witty to perpetrate myself.

i mean, what? i'm shocked. hehe

Allrie said...

I tried to e-mail the picture to a few friends, telling them, of course, that it was a real sign 'cause I got it from my daughter who got it from her husband's family in CValgary. (Un)fortunately I worked true to form, and forgot to attach the picture. So the couple people I did forward it to were duly informed of its fictional character. It is still very funny.
All of us intelligent peopple should be ashamed of ourselves for swallowing it as fact--hook, line and sinker, OK, so I feel extra dumb today. Sigh.